“Gorgeous Little Village”
Review of The Yew Tree

The Yew Tree
Ranked #1 of 2 Manuden B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 July 2014

A very quaint and cute place to stay, and the bell ringing practise at the small church across from the pub was reminiscent of a Midsomer Murder episode. The young blonde girl who checked us in, served our food and served the pints was excellent. She even suggested a bridle way to follow up behind the pub to see the rural views. They were as spectacular as she promised and so peaceful. We found the pub fare to be small portions but delicious in flavour. The complimentary breakfast was a bit sparse in terms of variety. The room was clean and nicely presented but there was a distinctive damp smell in our room. Unfortunately the wifi and mobile phone coverage is pretty bad here, which was frustrating for us trying to plan the next day's touring. Overall, we enjoyed our stay, but people wanting mod cons beware - it is a bit of a rural backwater. Perfect if you're looking for R&R and getting away from it all.

Room Tip: Wifi is accessible in the bar, but not in the rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kirib30

Reviewed 16 July 2014

My partner booked this hotel for himself and his brother. They turned up to find no room! They had confirmation on paper as well as names of people they'd spoken to. The useless staff on duty couldn't find another alternative so they had a very long drive home. You will see his post below which gives more detail. I spent 30 minutes on the phone trying to find alternative accommodation without success.

Room Tip: Book another hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I booked a room and as requested on the web site I called to notify them that I may arrive late as an event that I was at earlier in the day advertised a later finish than was originally anticipated. Following a 100 mile journey I arrived earlier than anticipated looking forward to dinner and a good nights sleep as the previous day had been very long. With an early start planned the following day the hotel location was key to the booking. I was told on my arrival firstly that there was no reservation with further pressure I was told then that it had been cancelled but nobody knew who by. After it was made clear that there were no rooms available I requested that they made the effort to find one. They decided that they would not make a call from the reception but disappeared off to call. They returned fairly quickly to inform me that a hotel nearby did have vacancies. We set off but decided to call on the way to be told that they had nothing. I enlisted help from family and they called numerous establishment around the area we were in and found nothing. Time was against us so we ended up driving home that night very late and returning on the 170 mile round trip early the following day. The communication was dire and the lies compounded what was already an unacceptable situation. I would strongly advise that you insist on written confirmation should you take the chance booking here.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Derek H
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Stayed here for one night recently and enjoyed my stay. The bedrooms are in two annex buildings in the adjoining car park but they have been done to a good standard for guests.
A special word of thanks to the hard working Francesca who was very Pleasant and obliging

Room Tip: They all seem fine
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank WJH67
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I booked the Yew Tree as my normal places were booked due to the Tour De France. I was pleasantly surprised as to how nice it was and offered really good value for money.

I had a few teething issues when I arrived but the women on reception, who's name I don't have was really obliging and helpful and nothing seem to be too much trouble. Actually made me feel bad about asking. Just no toiletries in the bathroom, which was remedied quickly wanted an iron and ironing board but couldn't supply as the manager had locked the iron in his office, dah!! Always checking to see if there was anything I needed, really friendly and helpful.

Room was comfortable and had a superking bed. The room was very clean and a reasonable size.

Ate in the bar/restaurant and they have a good selection of beers.

Food was good though I started with the Mussels and they were nice but came in some sort of broth, which to me seemed tasteless. Almost like gritty hot water, assumed the grit came from the mussels but had no idea what it was supposed to be. Followed this by the Venison which was very nice.

Will stay there again and more than likely next week.

Few down sides, their web site indicates that there is wifi in the rooms which there is not. Bit of nuisance, especially as I am staying on business. Also it says check out is from 8am what it doesn't say is that is the time they start serving breakfast. Again not great if you need to make an early start. Though the women there, the only member of staff, I saw was obliging and said I could have continental earlier. All the room are outside, motel like, which was fine as it wasn't raining. Finally, not their fault, but mobile reception is more or less non-existent no matter who's network you are on but they do not charge for calls from the room, which is a really nice gesture.

It is in the middle of nowhere so probably hard to find with out sat nav. It is just a little village and surprising to find such a nice place in a location like this.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Howie922
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

As the yew tree had recently re opened, we thought we would give it another go! The food was nothing to write home about.
The venison was not fresh, it had a horrible tangy taste which meant it had been sitting around for a bit. The skate wing was poor in size and terribly oily, it came with under cooked potatoes and wilted salad, not worth the price tag.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank LadyLjet
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I had a fantastic evening at the recently refurbished Yew Tree last night.

The setting is beautiful: elegant and tranquil with high quality attention to detail. The food was outstanding, and Josh, our waiter, was excellent. Confident, funny, professional, attentive and engaging, he spent just the right amount of time chatting with us talking/informing on wine, food and the local area, etc but didn't intrude.

We will be returning!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank HB68
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manuden
The Cricketers' Arms
The Cricketers' Arms
#1 of 3 in Saffron Walden
Little Hallingbury Mill
Little Hallingbury Mill
#1 of 1 in Little Hallingbury
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stansted Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stanst...
#2 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Linden House
Linden House
#1 of 7 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Farmhouse Inn
Farmhouse Inn
#2 of 4 in Thaxted

Been to The Yew Tree? Share your experiences!