“Hour wait for tabel”

Hickory's Smokehouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Hickory's Smokehouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 59 Restaurants in West Kirby
Price range: US$0 - US$19
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Bar, Barbecue, Central American
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Hickory’s Smokehouse is an authentic American barbecue restaurant. We’ve got authentic American popcorn, the hottest buffalo wings you’ve ever tasted, ribs slowly cooked in our smoker, authentic American desserts and a delicious weekend brunch. From the bar you can enjoy Brooklyn lager served in a frozen glass and for the kids a great selection of milkshakes. Our heated terrace, American bar and kitchen are open daily from 10am until 11pm, serving food from 10am until 10pm.Hickory’s comes complete with cinema room for kids (just the little ones!) and a secret garden with a slushy & milkshake bar, Hickory's West Kirby sits in a perfect location, just minutes walk from the fabulous West Kirby beach and Hilbre Island nature reserve.
Wirral
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hour wait for tabel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

Even though our table had been pre-booked we waited over an hour to be seated.

The food when it eventually arrived, after a long wait was dry and hard.

Other people arround is where making the same complaints

Perhaps its because it has only just opened but there appears to be to many error.

1 Thank Sammy J

liverpool
“Tried on Monday 4th March as hickorys.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013 via mobile

I'd heard a lot of good things about hickorys in Chester as I used to work not too far away. When I heard there was one opening up in west kirby. I was excited. The soonest I could get in I did. I decided to take my assistant manager, along with me to check everything out. As soon as we walked through the door, we were greeted with a smile and eye contact ( people don't seem to know how good this is) we were shown to the table that I had booked. Within 10 seconds we had a bottle of chilled water brought over to us and poured for us, and a large packet of popcorn( at first I thought this was slightly weird touch, however at the end of the meal I decided it was actually a good touch). The very happy and lovely waitress came over to chat about the menu and asked if I would like it going through, which I accepted. I asked 2 separate waitress's on separate occasion. One of them, which starter should I have, she piled the maple covered ribs, and asked the other waitress which main I should have. She said pulled pork. WOW. I will always go with what these girls say in future, it's so nice to try smoked food, slightly burnt on the outside with a chared taste, exactly how it should be, meat fully cooked but still juicy inside, so tender, meat just fell off/apart so easily. Was absolutely beautiful. For dessert we both had Mississippi mud pie. Again, just a simple and plain chocolate cake with ice cream and lots of icing sugar, and it was one of the nicest Puds I've EVER had in my life. I'm also extremely happy because I'm going back today(11th march) at 1pm with my partner and hopefully will be back every Monday/Tuesday. Keep it up guys. Martyn

1 Thank martyn20101985
United Kingdom
“Good food, Great place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

Firstly, the warm welcome and quick appointment of a high seat on a breakfast style bar in front of the open view kitchen and preparation area on a busy Mother's Day was a great start to our experience.

Looking around, the whole place had a very nice atmosphere of people enjoying their food, and the decor and refurbishment from the former Moby Dick Pub seemed pretty extensive and excellently done.

Upon sitting down we were immediately given a bottle of water, glasses and a box of salted popcorn (sweet would have been nice). The table was also well decked out with many condiments, sauces, wipes, toothpicks and kitchen roll.

Now for the food.

I ordered a double Hickory's burger, fries and coleslaw, which arrived in a plastic basket and was of a fairly generous size. The burger taste was average to good, but not out of this world. The fries and coleslaw were very nice.

My daughter ordered from the kids menu, which she said seemed to have good choices, she ordered a chicken burger with fries. It arrived on a wooden board with the fries in a metal bucket!

She too said it was very nice. There are lots of other choices available, and seeing the ribs, steaks and a few other meals being prepared in front of us all looked very good.

You can find the full menu at thier website - http://www.hickorys.co.uk/

The soft drinks we had were of good quality and reasonable value. We had waffles with, maple syrup and vanilla ice cream for dessert, which were better than other places we have had them.

All in all, a very enjoyable meal and experience of which we will definitely visit again and try something different from the menu. In fact probably several times and work our way through it!

Market Harborough, United Kingdom
“Love the Chester Hickory's so was disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013 via mobile

I was really excited to eat here as the Chester Hickory's is one of my favourite restaurants. However, the experience was very disappointing.

Arrived at 5:50pm for a 6pm booking but didn't get a table until 6:30 and think we'd have waited even longer if I hadn't complained

The table itself was between the door to the toilets and the entrance to the children's playroom and I can only liken the experience to eating in the central reservation of the M6. If we had kids who were using the playroom we probably wouldn't have minded but as four adults trying to hold a conversation it was distracting and soon became irritating. I'd suggest they should check if people are bringing kids when they take bookings and just seat families in this area.

The food itself was average - again not as nice as Chester - but it was surprising to see main courses served in plastic trays reminiscent of 1970's Little Chef! Of the four of us the verdict on the food was three averages and one good!

Special mention must go to our waitress (I'd name her if she'd introduced herself or was wearing a name badge) - she was lovely! Really pleasant, sunny disposition and made a very average evening a little better.

Will we be back? Maybe.

West Kirby, United Kingdom
“A bit different”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

Recently reopened as Hickory's Smoke House this pub is now food centred and has an American style menu. I went with a friend on Monday to try it out.

We both wanted beer. They didn't have the usual ones I would recognise so we settled for an American beer called Brooklyns. Quite good.

I had jumbo beef ribs and my friend had a burger. My ribs were OK, but nothing special. I regularly eat port ribs and like them. These beef ribs were not such a success. Too little meat with very large bone and the barbecues sauce was rather dry. The sauce didn't seem to go that well with beef. The meat came with coleslaw and fries. The coleslaw was fine. I don't eat fries so I don't know about them. My friend seemed happy with his burger and fries.

The style of food is different for West Kirby and the place was busy. This wa very close to the re-opening so many people will come along to try it out.

I would go again to try something else on the menu, but this is not a place I was excited about.

2 Thank Malpoet