“Not the best place to stay to be honest!”
Review of Bridge Inn

Bridge Inn
Reviewed 27 July 2013

This hotel is one of the original properties built in Port Sunlight and we found it amazing it has been allowed to get in such a state. Rotting window frames and broken glass and those chimneys look like they are about to fall off the roof! However the hotel itself (as another put it a more a pub with rooms than a hotel) looked really nice from the outside at first glance and is in a prime location for Port Sunlight. Our room was clean but sub standard I have to say. The hairdryer was not working and we had to ask for another, no apology was given and only a totally disinterested 'here you go' when another was bought up. A warning sign on the bathroom wall telling you that the bath can be slippery and dangerous so please get a rubber mat from reception if you want one! Surely a mat should be supplied as in most other hotels we have stayed in seem to have. The shower was great fun to use too, you had to take it down to get the water to come through otherwise it just kept knocking and nothing came out! Flimsy plastic tumblers in the bathroom? Afraid we may break the glass and do ourselves in from being in such a dreary atmosphere perhaps? It's a wonder they didn't remove our shoelaces upon arrival! It was muggy while we were there so windows had to be left open but try and sleep with being woken up at 4.30 in the morning by loud voices and slamming doors which seemed to be a constant thing during our two night stay. When we told the manager she looked perplexed "really? can't think what that could have been" It may have been nice if perhaps she showed at least some concern or again an apology instead of total apathy that we were given. The restaurant was reasonable and breakfast good, I will say that for it and cheap too. Fish and chips really nice and we had steak and ale pie too both good but the frozen peas were hard on both occasions. Very basic selection of wine all at the cheaper end of the market so not a place for a special night out really. Staff although quite pleasant seemed disinterested in anything to do with their job at all, it felt like it was an attitude of "well it's a good price what more do you want?" Then there was the so called 'free Wi Fi' not exactly what it says on the tin, to get this you had to sign up to Cloud who wanted all your information before they would let you in. At first we couldn't get any information at all from this site, it simply wasn't working. We did ask the manager if she could help but she didn't really know about such things apparently and said she would ask one of the younger members of staff when they came in! The next day we found out you had to sign up to Cloud as it was working then, I only wanted to check my e-mails not give out my personal information to this site. Even the most basic of hotels mostly these days have free Wi Fi with just a code to be put in and away you go. All in all the whole experience left us feeling unsatisfied and moody, not a nice experience at all. If you are just looking for a base to explore Port Sunlight (which is amazing by the way) it is right on the doorstep but if you want sleep and a decent place to stay then best look elsewhere if I were you.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

Not what you could describe as a destination to be recommended. Set in the attractive and well cared for Port Sunlight area this is a 'pub with rooms'. It must be difficult to configure rooms in a building that is no doubt listed and protected. The plumbing needs some attention as i not only lost pressure (shower went off) but when it came back it was totally cold. A piece of history no doubt but there's really no excuse for noisy room doors and clattering fire doors. We stayed a Saturday night, luckily not returning to the hotel until late as the music from downstairs went on for some time into the night. The staff were generally polite but overwhelmingly disinterested. The place is generally tatty but this was not the most expensive place to stay in the area so I guess it's a case of getting what you pay for. If all you want is a bed for the night accompanied by a pint and a burger and you're a sound sleeper then this could be the place for you. For anyone else I'd recommend steering clear.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 30 June 2013

The rooms were clean and tidy, the bathroom looks a little old but everything works fine. Comfortable beds, a decent breakfast served in the restaurant downstairs. Helpful and friendly staff in reception. All in all a good stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Stayed for 2 nights with family. Food good, rooms clean and comfortable. Staff excellent. Location great for visiting Liverpool and the U boat exhibition. We caught a train from Port Sunlight to Liverpool...only £3.40 return...and you can get on and off at as many stops as you want. Port Sunlight is definitely worth visiting.

Room Tip: No problem with any room but room 18 is spacious, room 10 average double overlooking car park.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Right in the heart of a beautiful part of Port Sunlight and a couple of minutes walking from Unilever Research Center, the Bridge Inn is all about location, location. There is a pub that hosts many evening events (psychic readers is one of them), the food is standard, the guest are locals. The staff gets up early to make you a full breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Being from the Wirral myself I wanted to treat my husband to a stay here for a few days. We arrived early and they kindly made us both a cup of tea and prepared our room quicker than usual so that we could check in. The room was cosy, clean and quiet. I was pleased to see an iron and board in the room so no need to phone reception for one. There was a fan which we needed as it was so hot all night..the heating was on in the whole hotel and even though we turned off the radiator in the room we could not turn off the bathtowel radiator in the bathroom and no air could circulate. It was cooler the other nights. Lots of tea and coffee. The bed was so comfortable and we slept really well. The shower hose was a bit worn and in need of replacing. We ate in the restaurant the first night and I was not impressed with the food..but it was reasonably priced. The village is beautiful and being near the train station was handy. The best thing about this place is the staff, the cleanliness and the big comfy bed. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2013

After visiting the beautiful village of Port Sunlight, we thought we would finish off with a nice meal. The Bridge Inn looks impressive and the menu looked good too but our impressions were wrong.

After placing and paying for our order, the server placed a meal in front of me. I immediately said it was not what I had ordered and she replied “Oh, we are out of that”. I suggested she should have consulted with me and I would have made my own decision on something else. Oh dear, I said the wrong thing. She turned her back and walked away without a word. I didn’t want to make a fuss and spoil our day so just waited and waited, and waited from the cutlery to arrive. Eventually, I had to seek out someone to get some for us.

Then I noticed the bread that was served was curled up at the edges. It was either past its sell by date or had been left lying out in a warm kitchen. We had a bit of a giggle when I managed to pink a tune by tapping the hard bread with the prongs of the fork. This bread was only fit for the duck pond of bin.

The chips were so dry, they stuck in your throat, no matter how much soft drink I took. Maybe they had the same treatment as the bread.

We gave this establishment the opportunity of putting a wrong wright but didn’t like it. My memories of Port Sunlight will be of the awful meal and customer service we experienced.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
The Grove House Hotel and Restaurant
The Shrewsbury Lodge
The Shrewsbury Lodge
#2 of 7 in Birkenhead

Been to Bridge Inn? Share your experiences!