“Excellent !!!!!”

Wallasey, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent !!!!!”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My mum and I eat at this restaurant about 6 times a year. We try to make "special" time to catch up without distractions and this venue is just perfect. From the minute you arrive you feel special and get 5 star treatment. The setting has a touch of luxury with a personal feel, relaxing but has that "special" touch. The food is 5 star quality with a good variety served in a professional, friendly manner. I have never had a bad meal here and always enjoy the choices. This is a little gem hidden away in Wallasey, we often visit the Panaromic 34 and San Carlo which are both great if you want a big city night out, however this is on your doorstep in the Wirral and is a real treat too! I would recommend to anyone, young or old, who wants to celebrate a special occasion or just wants to be spoilt at affordable prices! Please try it - you wont be disappointed!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank RWW1556

merseyside
“Belated mothers day meal.”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We booked a table here last night for a belated mothers day meal, neither my mother, fiancee or I had visited before although it has been on my list of places to visit for a while (we eat out a lot but I prefer a less formal dining experience that is in more modern style restaurants)

When we arrived we were greeted warmly and shown to the bar for drinks, the bar was relatively small but had nice decor and really was to my taste just a shame they didn't have chesterfields rather than the fabric sofas. The bartender was friendly and knowledgeable and brought our drinks over to where we were seated.

The menus were easy to read and not overly complicated giving concise descriptions of the fayer, there is a set price menu and a specials menu with the obligatory supplements for sides and steaks.
We had a hard time choosing from the delicious sounding food and between us picked items from both the set and specials menu's, we were then showed through to the dining room which was in a nice oak paneled room that is well set out with ample room between tables giving an airy and elegant feel.

The maitre d' was helpful and polite but most importantly to me very personable and did not have the air of snobbishness that you find in some of the formal dining restaurants that we have visited. This put me at ease and meant that I could enjoy the evening so much more.

I was told regrettably that my starter of king scallops were not available and immediately recommended to try the king prawns that were cooked in a similar style and informed that it would be deducted from the bill which was a very nice gesture by a gent who believe to be the manager (also very friendly and jovial)

We ordered a bottle of merlot to have on the table and it turned out to be a good choice as we all enjoyed it, the appetizers and starters were served promptly but not in a way to make you feel rushed and all were plated well. We all really enjoyed our starters the only comment was that my mother would have preferred more bread to go with her pate but this comes down to personal choice.

The main courses were brought out after a nice period of time to relax and talk, my fiancee and my main were brought out together with a slight delay to my mothers main but this was resolved quickly and a new hot plate was provided for the lamb to be served on to (nice touch).
All of our mains were cooked perfectly, I tried a piece of my fiancees medium rare steak that was to die for and is definitely on my list for next time, my mom was very satisfied with her meal and the accompanying veg that was also cooked really well, al dente nothing worse than soggy or limp vegetables.

We decided that we were able to all fit in a dessert, after what I would class as perfect portion sizes.

I ordered the cheese selection of which I had four varieties from a larger selection, all were nice in their ways although i would of liked more biscuits/crackers. My fiancee and mother ordered a trifle and chocolate truffle from the well stocked sweet trolley with fresh cream which they both thoroughly enjoyed.

The bill was brought to the table and did have the alterations a fore mentioned, and after a nice chat with the staff we paid the bill around £130 not bad considering the quality. (2x apps, 3x starters, 3x mains with sides, 3x desserts and 2x bottles of merlot)

All in all a very enjoyable evening and I look forward to visiting again soon!

Thank you to the staff for making it an enjoyable evening for my mom.

• Visited March 2014
Wallasey, United Kingdom
“Quality food and nice surroundings”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I've been to the Grove House loads of times over many years, I only live round the corner. A quality little establishment with nice food, wood panelled dining room and nice bar and lounge area. Had the game option last week, pidgeon to start with followed by pheasant (or was it partridge??) very good quality game, nicely cooked. Nice surroundings, friendly staff, and no riff raff either. A good place to take your elderly parents for lunch, or your other half for a nice dinner. Not really suitable for kids in the main dining room as its quite small and formalised so it wouldn't be a good area for ankle biters to be running about.

• Visited February 2014
Chester, United Kingdom
“Birthday celebration ”
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Haven't been to Grove House for about five years and I have to say it remains one of the nicest places to eat on the Wirral. Very welcoming but in a formal setting. Fabulous food and for what you get - not bad value.

Chester, United Kingdom
“exceptional”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Another fabulous meal at Grove House. Excellent food and service in a formal but not stuffy dining room. A clear faviourite.

• Visited February 2014