“Good food and great staff”
Review of Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio
Ranked #4 of 38 Restaurants in Heywood
Price range: US$7 - US$23
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I went last weekend with a couple of friends, we forgot to book but it wasn't a problem at all, they managed to fit us within half an hour while we were waiting on the bar, having a drink. The staff is very friendly and helpful, food is good, loved the menu, great atmosphere. Definetely i will go back.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Birthday meal totally spoilt by bad food and extremely poor service,

Half of the starter was ok, calamari was like eating elastic bands, the scallops where like eating a melted Turkish delight, however we didn't complain at this time, as there is a fine line between cooking scallops and squid perfect, for £15.00 for a shared starter we was at this point disappointed .

Our mains arrived and they looked amazing, my fillet was cooked to perfection, however when my partner cut into his rack of lamb the stench was overwhelming, we called for the waiter/manager and told him straight away the meat was clearly off, he took it away came back and offered him beef instead of lamb, 5 mins later he returned to inform us that in fact the lamb wasn't off and he would eat a piece to prove it(not forgetting not 5 mins ago he offered beef instead of lamb) he went on to say that maybe it was my partners sense of smell that May have got him confused. Now we felt that we was getting taken for a ride, as we was complaining the table opposite who had already sent a salad back, yes a salad was now returning a lasagne back, we upped paid and explained to the manager we was able to smell and the meat was clearly off and we would be reporting them, he wasn't interested, we may as well have been talking to a brick wall. DO NOT USE THIS RESTAURANT it's a shambles, they want your money no matter what the food is like, to be honest I don't even think they are Italian. I used this restaurant all the time, since it has had new owners it has gone down hill, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, not even my dog.

2  Thank Kelly H
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

The food is brilliant, we have been there several times as a big group of family and friends or just me and my boyfriend as a couple. It really is beautiful food, good atmosphere and great value. Roberto himself is so caring and can't do enough for you. The staff are friendly and service is quick. It doesn't lot like anything good from the outside, it looks like a run down cafe but it's definitely worth it. He could really benefit by relocating somewhere larger that has parking because sometimes that's an issue... Make sure you book in advance because it's always packed out and if you arrive around 8pm (popular time) then you might have a long wait

1  Thank Aqif K
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I went here for the first time on Saturday 01/08/14. We were in a party of 22. We arrived on time but had to wait in the bar area for approximately 40 minutes I heard no apologies or explanation. We were shown to the table and there weren't enough seats. We had to chairs dumped at the end of a long table, but we were sat together after our starter. The starter was very tasty and plentiful. My first choice for the main was lobster ravioli there was none available, an alternative was offered which sounded lovely, when the plate arrived there was a good amount, sadly it was tasteless. I left half of it. My husband said his steak was good but the mushrooms were slimy and slug like! his veg was more raw than al dente. I cant tell you what starter he had as was 20 people away from him! Friends were being served 20 minutes after others in the party. Not a pleasant experience. I will never go again and can't believe that a restaurant can't cope with large parties. When the birthday boy complained presumably the manager started shouting saying there will be delays as everything is cooked to order. I've been to many restaurants in many towns and cities and most of those cooked meals to order and that din't seem to cause a problem. If they can't cope with large parties don't let them book.

3  Thank Elsie M
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We have been going for years it used to be great with the previous owner, we came more often with the new owners and it was great, very friendly staff/management and food was even better than before. Unfortunately they keep changing the dishes each time so it always tastes different and it's not getting better. Wish they would keep it the same. As the past few visits have been disappointing.

1  Thank 21Charlotte
IlVecchioGM, General Manager at Il Vecchio, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Charlotte ,

We take customer's feedback at the highest of our priorities and we appruciate spending time giving us feedback after your meal.
A lot of changes have occured recently at our restaurant including the appointment of new restaurant manager which an extensive CV and experience in restaurant such as Opus ( Radisson Hotel - ( 5* ) San Carlo and Rosso.
A new Head chef which had run Don Giovanni's kitchen for more than 3 year and worked for over 5 years at the Grand Hyatt in Dubai ( 5* ).
The previous owners did have a very little knowledge about Italian cuisine and did not serve Italian cuisine at all. We are now up to speed with the new menu which was introduced last Friday ( 25.07.14 ) and includes truffle, lobster and Welsh rack of lamb, pizza with 'Nduja and a variety of authentic Italian dishes with the best ingredients in the market.

We have now set the standard for the new menu and the dishes will taste the same at every visit. I'm perfectly sure you will not be disappointed at your next visit.
Please contact me personally before your next visit.

Roberto