“Nice hotel with navigation problems!”

Norton Park - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sutton Scotney
Oxford
“Nice hotel with navigation problems!”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

This a beautifully situated hotel boasting excellent accommodation & a luxurious spa. Finding one's way around, however, is not without difficulty. There are numerous corridors - rather spooky at night when the lights are dimmed, and the key cards can be a problem to operate. One of my group - an elderly frail lady with walking stick & luggage - was given only verbal guidance when she checked in, rather than help to her room, which involved a long walk, a lift, doors to push open (difficult with a case & stick,) & finally a key card which she was unable to use. When finally entering her room, she was unable to switch on the lights, as the key card was needed again for this to make them work. Unfortunately she checked in at a busy time - Saturday morning, but this initial impression meant that she recived a bad impression of the hotel from the outset.I checked in at a quieter time, & was offered help which I refused, & once managing my key card, had no other difficulties at all. (I could switch on my lights without using my card)
I was one of a large group, & catering for us did seem to present difficulties for the hotel - but all staff worked extremely hard, & did their utmost to provide us with a happy weekend, which I feel in the end suceeded. One real complaint I have, however, is that the air conditioning was far too fierce, & I was often very cold!! (In July) The meeting room we used was very cold & therefore uncomfortable. I had one blanket on the bed which was not sufficient with the temperature (there was nothing to alter this in the room) - & if I used the heavy ornate bedcover, I felt squashed!! I had, therefore, to be cold or crushed!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room as near to reception as possible & on the ground floor. Also one that does not ne...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank GwenCOxford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Polish first
Narberth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Whilst the location and overall appearance of the hotel was great, the rooms were only average. Certainly not four star. On check in our room was not ready and we were allocated another one. The television did not work so we were the alocated our 3rd room. Unfortunately, we didnt realise this until we were about to go to bed, our room was directly below the extractor fan for the pool area. This meant we had to endure a loud whirring sound and vibration for the duration of the night. Our shower was also poor and dangerous. Intermittantly, the water pressure would drop and then come back at near boiling temperatures.

Overall clenliness of the rooms was not great. The breakfast buffet was of poor quality and many items on the hot buffet were either under or over cooked.

We chose this hotel based on staying at Q hotels in the past. On those occaisions we have been very impressed.

Would have to have a good reason to stay at Norton Park again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dw1976
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2011

excellent (peaceful) location, beautiful grounds wanted to stay forever. In 24 hours I felt totally relaxed and can not wait to go back, I'm keeping an eye out for the fab Friday offer, that would just be so much value for money, unbelievable Cathy

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
MichaelKnox-Johnston, General Manager at Norton Park - A QHotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2011
Thank you for kind comments about your spa break, we look forward to your return
Yours sincerely
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Just returned from a 1 night spa package with my daughter. We thought this was good value for £109 each.Lunch,3 course evening meal and breakfast with 2 spa treatments.The room we had originally been allocated was a double but on request a twin was found. Comfortable room,power shower and bath.Although there was a conference taking place at the hotel,it still felt really relaxing. Staff friendly and loved the relaxation room post treatments with candles,beds,herbal teas,just what we needed. The only sad part was rejoining a busy M3 for the journey home. We will return!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Hazel061
Thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to your return
Manchester
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Stayed at Norton Park on the 7th July for 2 nights on a deal we got through Travel Zoo. The Hotel is a maze of corridors and our room happened to be one of the furthest away from Reception and the Restaurant! We managed to find a short cut from the car park through a fire door that was open all the time straight into our block to save the long walk!

The room was nicely decorated, had a decent size bathroom. Free internet connection too was a bonus. We had a meal in the Restaurant on the second night which was nice but the service was very slow. The breakfasts on both mornings were delicious. One afternoon tea was included in the deal we got and that was also very good.

The only thing that spoiled the break was the fire alarm going off at 3am! People were in the corridor half asleep not having a clue where to go! We made our way outside to the car park and not one single hotel member of staff came to tell us whether it was a real fire or false alarm! After about 10 minutes of standing in the cold waiting for someone to arrive one of the guests phoned the hotel reception on her mobile to find out what was happening!! The alarm magically switched off and we were told via the guest that it was indeed a false alarm! Where was the night manager?? At checkout the following morning I asked what had happened to be told by the receptionist that another incident had happened at the same time and the staff were dealing with that!! Not impressed!

Would I stay here again - probably not. Would definitely recommend "The Dove Inn" at Micheldever for your evening meal - Excellent.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FangyBoo
Thank you for your comments, I am very sorry that you had issues of the misuse by another guest of the fire alarms at night. There was a significant problem with a guest, part of a party who took up the time of Night Manager and away from dealing with the alarm. This abuse of the system is now with the police. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay except for the fire alarm.
Yours sincerely
Brighton
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I came here with a hen party on a Fridaay staying for one night and thought it excellent value for money. Here's a quick overview:
PROS
Massage was brilliant and facial was brilliant one of the best I've ever had! Love the relaxation room with magazines, tea and candles.
Rooms are beautiful, a lovely size, grounds are nice.
Spa is top-notch, better than some much more expensive spa hotels I have stayed in
Dinner on the Friday night was great and we ate VERY well for our credit as part of the spa package
CONS
Lunch on the Friday was an awful buffet of half-cold pasta and fish, in an empty restaurant where we were not offered a drink the whole time we were there!
Sound proofing is not great, we could hear the person in the room next door coughing!
On the Saturday, it was too bus. There weren't enough sunloungers around the pool, any treatment slots avaliable.
The pool staff for some inexplicable reason decided to turn a blind eye to a family of 13 people playing a VERY loud game of Marco Polo in the pool. We decided to leave in the end, despite want to relax for another hour or so and perhaps have another stab at lunch but we couldn't stand the noise. This is supposed to be a spa hotel not a Club Med resort!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
MichaelKnox-Johnston, General Manager at Norton Park - A QHotel, responded to this review, 20 July 2011
I am very sorry that your experience was such a disappointment and in particular the experience at the lunch on Friday, i have ensured that both the Chef and Restaurant Manager are aware of your comments. regarding the game of "Marco Polo " , I am not sure what this is but I have discussed this with our leisure team to ensure that such actions do not re-occur. I would readily agree that whilst our pool does get busy on a Saturday , the playing of games in the pool is not allowed and this should have been stopped.
Again my apologies for your disappointment, I am however pleased that the spa , rooms and dining at dinner so acceptable.
Thank you for your comments.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Overall the hotel, grounds and staff were great. They were very friendly and attentive. The pool area however was a bit disappointing as there were a few sun loungers and most of these were taken with people who seemed to be staying all day long. There was a jacuzzi but this was filled with stones and was now a decoration piece! My friend and I were really looking forward to a lovely relaxing spa break after working such long hours at our jobs. We were bitterly disappointed when we went to the pool area on the second day of our stay as it was quite full by 3pm and then 30 minutes later a lot of parents with young children came to use the pool. Some children were diving and splashing around making it difficult for us and a few of the other guests to relax or enjoy the facilities. There were no lifeguards on duty and there was also a 10 year old child that tried a few times to use the steam room! I do not mind children using the facilities with parents but there should be something mentioned on the hotel website and the pool area if parents with children will be attending the facilities so that people who want to work out, swim laps, relax etc can do so early on. I have been on a number of spa breaks over the years and although I liked the rest of the hotel this was the worst spa I have ever been to.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for your detailed comments and i am pleased that overall you enjoyed the hotel. With regard to the Spa and Leisure, this is used by all guests with children having set times of 08.00 to 10.00 and again from 16.00 to 18.00 each day. We find that these times, which are displayed on both the web site, the hotel reception desk in the front hall as well as at the Spa and Leisure reception and in the room folders, allows our spa guests to have access to the pool without children for 6 hours during the day and after 18.00 hours in the evening. I am very sorry that you found this so disappointing, be assured we believe we have used every medium to inform our guests of these times.
Yours sincerely,
Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Holiday Inn Winchester
Holiday Inn Winchester
#6 of 13 in Winchester

Been to Norton Park - A QHotel? Share your experiences!