“Recommended”

Norton Park - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sutton Scotney
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We were in the far block of rooms so OK there was some walking to do (under cover but draughty) to get to reception, bar and restaurant but no great hardship- no need to put a coat on- girls take your pashmina.
There are a lot of people (mostly girls) in white robes and slippers walking about (plus some in the bar). Hotel obviously very popular for girlie spa treatments.
Bed, Bedroom, Bath, and bathroom all a decent size. FOC room safe and fridge in room. Windows did open but despite that I thought our room had a bit of stale room odour. Only other improvements would be free WiFi in the room and better bedside light.
With 175 rooms there are a lot of mouths to feed but the service was quick both for breakfast and dinner (linen napkins in the evening) but choose your feeding time carefully. Breakfast scored 9 out of 10 as did our evening meal. Good.
Hotel very helpful photocopying various walks for us. (see the Green Desk on the landing). Location quiet especially in the far ‘new’ block.
We got a good internet deal early March 2012 and on that basis Recommended.

Room Tip: Our far room was quiet as to be expected.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 March 2012

Booked this as a last-minute weekend 'girly' break. The main reason for choosing this hotel rather than other, similar, places was the spa facilities. We were pleasantly surprised by the beautiful grounds and comfortable quiet room with excellent modern bathroom. On the first evening we went after 6.00pm to the pool and it was a very enjoyable swim/chill out. The next morning (Sunday) we went for an early morning swim at 8.00am and the pool was full of play equipment and people with children and babies in large inflatable rings splashing about. There was even a man with an older child chucking diving weights about the pool. The pool is not huge and we found there was no way we could swim lengths (in fact even widths were impossible due to flying missiles) so we left disappointed. The breakfast was really great. Would definitely go again but will make sure we avoid the 'child' sessions in the pool next time.

Reviewed 10 March 2012

I was with a group of women spending a night away for a celebration. The deal we had provided lunch, dinner, breakfast and a choice of treatments. The food in particular surpassed all expectations with a buffet style hot lunch as we arrived - we all went home very stuffed!
The rooms were nice, clean and modern - as everyone else has indicated a bit of a trek away from the main areas but this wasn't really a problem. The spa treatments were good but the pool area did get a little packed out at times - to be expected over a weekend I guess.
All in all we had a great stay here and I have already recommended to a few people for a quick (from Surrey) relaxing night away.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 March 2012

My daughter and I had spent a long time looking for a hotel conveniently situated for travel for both of us coming in different directions. We were not disappointed. From booking to checkout the staff were very pleasant and helpful. The bedroom was very comfortable if distant from the main building giving us a chilly walk to the restaurant particularly in the evening. The outlook was lovely, near the grounds and countryside and very peaceful. Bathroom and facilities spotless. Meals were delicious and of a good standard with plenty of choice. The spa was good. I was particularly pleased with the treatments I had, Facial, neck,shoulder and back massage. The scalp massage was great, I just looked a bit frightening at the end! I seem to have been fortunate as others were not so happy when we spoke in the relaxation room where I could have spent longer.

Unfortunately I did not note names. In particular the duty manager in the restaurant seemed to appear at just the right time on several occasions when service was required.

Sheena B

In all, a most enjoyable break in a very pleasant hotel with lovely walks in the grounds. In the middle of the countryside but so near to Winchester for some retail therapy!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 March 2012

The Hotel surpassed my expectations in all ways. The staff were helpful and polite. The facilities were excellent although the only disappointment was the lack of a jacuzzi in the pool/ spa area. Everywhere was clean and tidy. The bedroom was far bigger than I expected and the Hotel is in beautiful surroundings. Food was excellent and the value of my spa break was exceptional. I have also stayed in the nearby Hampshire Court Hotel. also of this Q group and I also highly appraised that one, but Norton Park excelled it by far! 10/10 Excellent :-)

1  Thank Debbie W
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Stayed here overnight for a dinner dance. The reception staff helpful and friendly. Bedrooms spotlessly clean and very quiet - it may take you a while to find it though! Walkways between the buildings were a freezing end to the evening and a damp start to the next day. We have had excellent food at 3 star hotels so were looking forward to what a 4 star hotel would provide.
What a disappointment! The food and the service were so poor. After the meal the draw took place for the charity raffle. One of the prizes was a cookery book signed by the chef author. The person announcing each prize said " perhaps the person who most needs to win this is the hotel chef - but what he may prefer is a how to cook with microwave book"! Over 80 people then fell about laughing. In 30 years of attending such events never have I experienced anything like this. Apart from the food, our table water was never replenished despite many requests, there was a shortage of cutlery including only TWO knives for ten people at our table for the cheese and biscuit course and they also had to be used to cut the cheese on the cheeseboard as well as butter the crackers! Requests for more knives acheived nothing and there were similar tales from other tables. At other hotels if I ask for tea rather than coffee at the end of the meal, the tea comes in a small pot. On this occasion I was in conversation when a cup was plonked down in front of me half full of warm water with a tea bag floating in it - no saucer and no teaspoon! The young staff were all very polite but very inexperienced.
In the wider scheme of things this is trivial really and we all had a good humoured laugh and jokes about it. But as a business this hotel is not providing a four star service. Never have we stayed in a hotel where the room information warns that guests may have to queue up to 15 minutes to get a table at breakfast at peak times!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a block closer to the reception building to avoid the outdoor walkways.
5  Thank sarah190761
Reviewed 4 March 2012

My friend and I just had a one night spa break, The Hotel was relly nice,staff very helpful.and the Restaurant food was excellent,the only let down was the spa,the nail treatment was good and the facial,and back and neck massage,but the scalp massage was the most painful experience that I have ever received and I have had many. The therapist literally pulled my hair out of my head and jerked my neck so hard that it has left me on pain killers,also she pushed down on my shoulders so hard that she bought tears to my eyes,I had to say to her she was hurting me and not to jerk my neck as hard .After she took me to the relaxation suite but,I was that traumertised I went to the spa reception and had to complain. So be aware. It has totally ruined what was supposed to br a nice break. The hotel did offer me to come back to the hotel for a free 25mins treatment,I declined.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Scotney
#1 of 13 in Winchester
Holiday Inn Winchester
Holiday Inn Winchester
#5 of 13 in Winchester

Been to Norton Park - A QHotel? Share your experiences!