“Spa Break and Christmas Market”

Norton Park - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sutton Scotney
Reviewed 24 December 2012

Booked this hotel as wanted to get away for the weekend with husband and daughter before Xmas and also was husband's birthday in December.
Lovely hotel on arrival. Chap on reception checked us in right away - we were early. Excellent service on checking in. We had a quick look at our room, which was a little walk from reception but not far room 177. People on here have moaned about the walk ways between parts of the hotel - but nothing major at all - does not take long. If you wanted a room nearer reception, especially elderly, disabled guests I am sure reception would book you into a room without the walk. I did not mind walking through the glass walkway - some people have moaned on here that they are cold - you are in them for a minute or so - they are only short. Nice to get a bit of fresh air. Don't let this put you of booking or staying at this hotel.
Lovely room, large and clean with everything you need. We then went back to the bar and ordered bar food and drinks, excellent service (Ellie serving at the bar), food arrived quick, hot and enough, good quality food. Not to expensive for 4* bar food.
Went back to car and moved it nearer the the room we were staying in - spent an hour or so in the spa. Times were a bit of a pain if you had children with you - maybe these need to be looked at if you have 'older' children. I agree that I would not want to pay for a spa day and have younger kids jumping, splashing around and the noise in the pool, floats and rubber rings etc., However, if people have older children that are quite happy to chill out around the pool and go for a little dip/swim then maybe they could use it during the day as long as spa is not busy. We used it during the day for an hour, there were two people using it for spa day, but my daughter (age 14) is happy to chill out in a spa and was happy just relaxing as well. The only negitive thing about the spa are the showers in the ladies changing room, there are 3 showers, 1 was fully working, the other one in the middle the water was coming out from the broken hose more then the shower head and I could not use it, the third which is at the end in the corner the light was broken/not working so you could not see once in there. The steam room was not working due to maintance and it could really have done with a jacuzzi - which I have been told that they are looking into. It would be good is this goes ahead. Wanted to use the steam room but understand that maintance needs doing and within a hotel it is difficult as people are in and out 24/7 365 days a year. Sometimes things just happen are are even out of the hotels control - people have moaned that this was not working on here also but I am sure that hotel did everything possible to have it back up and running asap. I know its a pain but these things happen.
Popped into Winchester later in the afternoon for the Christmas Markets, came back to the hotel about 5pm ish and ate again in the bar around 7pm ish. We were going to eat out, but we were wet and cold from shopping. Again food in the bar area was excellent, service was the best (girl called Kelly), lots to choose from the kids menu and great prices as well. My daughter cleared her plate - she really liked the food and she can be fussy at times.
Room I found to hot in heat - but that is my preference and everyone is different.
Breakfast was good and the staff were lovely.
Checkout was by the same guy that checked us in the day before. He had all our paper work ready for us and knew our name - which was a lovely touch. I would definitly stay again, had a lovely time, staff were excellent - lovely people to have working for you. My daughter thought so to as Kelly was happy to chat with my daughter about One Direction!!! Thank you Kelly for an enjoyable evening in the bar.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank BerkshireDolly
Tom186284, General Manager at Norton Park - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a very comprehensive review following you recent stay at Norton Park. I am glad to here you had an enjoyable stay.

We do try to inform all guests about the family times in the pool area so they can make the most of the spa when is suitable for them. Unfortunately when carrying out maintenance we do have to pick the quiet times of the year. This will not suit all guests but we try to ensure the least disruption possible.

It sounds like you did have a wonderful stay and I hope we can welcome you back to Norton Park in the future.

There are newer reviews for Norton Park - A QHotel

Reviewed 22 December 2012

So, Xmas do recently for 180 people, so not expecting wonderful food. Well, I'd set my sights far too high! Every course was poor, really disappointed. I've eaten here twice before for Xmas do's, both times before the food was SO much better. Staff were good, they always are though.

Onto hotel itself. Beaufiful settings, the manor house is wonderful although not always very clean in the rooms. For a four star hotel , the Norton Park is showing signs of wear and tear and there's also a downright barmy part of its set up. The majority of the rooms are accessed via a sheltered, glass walkway which has a circa three inch gap at its base. So lovely in the summer Absolutely FREEZING in the winter?! Why would any architect in their right mind do that?! It means whenever I've stayed there in the winter, everyone complains that they get frozen on the way over to the hotel proper from their bedrooms?! Crazy.

Back to the staff though. They're always helpful and attentive. I do wish that someone would have a little chat about basic cleanliness (back to the manor) but their hearts are in the right place!

All in all, some great bits, some poor, some barmy. Just a regular haunt in Hampshire then?!

Room Tip: They all mean that you're going to get cold in the winter. BUT the manor rooms are by far the mo...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Tom186284, General Manager at Norton Park - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2012

Thank you for your recent review and your kind words regarding the friendliness of the staff. I am surprised regarding your comments relating to your Christmas party as we have served over 2500 guests over the festive period with positive feedback. At this volume we are not serving restaurant quality as you have experienced in the past but banqueting menus. I will review with my team to see how we can improve our offering fro next year and also discuss with my house keeper your comments regarding the Manor House.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review

Reviewed 20 December 2012

I visited the spa late morning and over lunchtime in week before Christmas and so the spa was relatively quiet with only 3 people using the pool and pool area, consequently that aspect was very relaxing. unfortunately at the time of booking I had not been advised that the steam room and sauna would be closed for maintenance which was a bit disappointing. On my last visit there was no relaxation room so I was pleasantly surprised until i found that the "beds" were quite uncomfortable - and the chairs were outside in a lobby. This has been created from previous treatment rooms which means you now need to walk down a hotel corridor to get to treatment rooms; my personal opinion was that this was not very "cosy". spa now uses Espa products which our great and I thought mini facial was extremely good value. this isnt spa luxury

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. May I apologise that you were not informed that the Steam room and sauna were out of operation. As you highlighted this was the quietest week of the year and we used this time to refurbish these areas of the spa. I am not fully clear on your comments relating to the location of the relaxation room as this has never been mentioned before. I am delighted that you enjoyed your treatment

Reviewed 19 December 2012

Checking in, I was greeted by a very helpful guy who asked if I had had a nice day and would I need any help with my bags (always a nice touch) and then I was shown to my room (again, a very nice touch).
The room was extremely comfortable, warm and with two robes / fresh milk in the fridge which scores very highly in my mind and a very comfortable bed. I had a great nights' sleep and the hotel is set in such beautiful grounds, it's peaceful and well maintained.
Also, the hotel has free broadband wi-fi, which again, is a great bonus for the business traveller.
Whilst I didn't have dinner at the hotel, the breakfast was plentiful / fresh and very tasty with a large selection of items.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank MXTSurrey

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on Trip Advisor. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found all the amenities useful. The free wifi is very popular with business and leisure guests alike. We try to add the nice little touches to ensure the guests stay is a pleasurable one.

We hope to welcome you back to Norton Park in the future.

Reviewed 16 December 2012

My husband and I have just returned home after spending the night away, we didn’t stay at this hotel and just visited for the afternoon. We booked the ‘Royal Tea’ spa break, which includes an hour treatment, use of the spa facilities and afternoon tea. The spa advertises that it’s recently undergone a £100k makeover. I’m not sure what that money has been spent on? At £75.00 a head I wasn’t expecting total magic but I was expecting value for money and I don’t feel like we got that. Our actual treatment lasted around 45min, so I felt we got short changed. Afterwards we were directed into the ‘relaxation room’, which wasn’t very relaxing; damp brown water marks over the ceiling, no ‘mood music’ and a thread bare fridge with two cartons of the cheapest concentrate juice money could buy and cups of cold tea, left by previous visitors. The afternoon tea was by far the worst I’ve experienced since living in England and I’ve been here eight years. The sandwiches were basic, cheap and dry (cheese, ham/tomato, egg mayo), the millionaire shortbread was a chocolate tart (that was the only tasty item), the scones were more like little rock cakes and the flapjacks were the mass produced kind you by at a petrol station. We waited 15 minutes for this after being asked what time we wanted it served. Attention to detail was lacking on all parts. We were celebrating our first wedding anniversary and as we were leaving I remarked that I was relieved we weren’t staying the night as the hotel seemed kind of soulless and lacked warmth and not a place that we’ll be re-visiting anytime soon.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SharonRaySA
Tom186284, General Manager at Norton Park - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2012

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all feed back to ensure we improve the standards of staffing, food and facilities where required.

The spa treatment list has recently been updated to show the actual treatment times rather than including the consultation and dealing time as well. I apologise if you were not informed of the exact timings upon your arrival. It is unusual for the relaxation room to be in the condition you mentioned so I have passed the information onto the Spa Manager.

With regard to the afternoon tea I hope you might have mentioned the food to the bar staff and they could have got you something more to your liking.

Reviewed 16 December 2012

13 of us stayed here for a surprise 40th birthday in December and we had an amazing time. All staff are so helpful and friendly but also very professional and accommodating, they really made us feel welcome and worked hard to ensure that everything went smoothly for us. Special thanks to Jacob and Oli!
The rooms themselves are lovely, very comfortable and clean with lovely big beds and we even had an iron and iron board in the room without requesting it. We did have slight problem with our room but staff were very accommodating and issue was resolved quickly.
The food was lovely, great selection at buffet lunch and breakfast and waiting staff all very happy to help.
We spent the afternoon at the spa and each had couple of treatments and it was a lovely relaxing experience. Only downside to spa is there was no jacuzzi/ hot tub, which was a little disappointing.
Overall I had a brilliant stay here and would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. Perfect for a quiet relaxing break or as a special celebration as there is a function room and bar area for partying! The staff really are what make this such a great hotel. Merry christmas to all :-)

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank karisbarfield

Thank you for your kind comments on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to hear that your party went well and we would be happy to welcome you back in the future for a similar event if you so wish.

I am glad the rooms, restaurant and food were to your liking. We pride ourselves on getting things just right for our guests.

I am sorry you felt a bit let down at the lack of jacuzzi but we are soon to be putting in more loungers for guests to use, to ensure there is enough space for all around the pool area.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and have a lovely Christmas.

Reviewed 14 December 2012

Second time of having the above at this place - first in 2010. Rooms are 'premier inn' standard - just what we wanted. Food - mass catering was fine - although the xmas pud didn't taste of anything. Music etc was as expected - no complaints. Breakfast was the usual buffet all fine except for the usual 'hard yoked' fried egg. Could have asked for fresh ones - but couldn't be bothered. All in all - what you would expect from mass catering - but a good time had.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends

I am glad to hear that your Christmas Party went well and with no problems during the evening. Had there been and it be mentioned to the waiting staff then any issues could have been dealt with.

The breakfast is regularly replenished so I am unsure why you experienced the hard fried eggs as these are cooked fresh and replaced as soon as the numbers are low.

I hope to welcome your party back for another successful event.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Scotney
#5 of 13 in Winchester
Lainston House Hotel
Lainston House Hotel
#1 of 13 in Winchester

Been to Norton Park - A QHotel? Share your experiences!