“Valentines Retreat”

Norton Park - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sutton Scotney
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Had a lovely couple of nights here for Valentines. We were booked in promptly and the room was spacious and warm with a good bed. Had room service a couple of times, but didn't eat at the restaurant. We decided to travel in to Winchester for our food (£20 taxi each way). All in all a very nice place even if a little isolated.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Tom186284, General Manager at Norton Park - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Norton Park. I am delighted that you enjoyed your valentines retreat and that you found your room comfortable. It is great to hear that you visited Winchester, it is such a beautiful city. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I booked the 'romance package' for my boyfriends birthday and we had a great stay. I have previously stayed at this hotel for our 2013 works Christmas party and was looking forward to visiting again. The hotel is very clean and the staff are really friendly, there was a slight mix up with our dinner reservation but this was quickly resolved shortly after checking in. Our room although quite a walk from reception was really spacious and comfy. We used the spa/facilities which are all to a good standard - they have a large pool, steam room and sauna. We had dinner in the scene restaurant which was very smart and the food was fantastic. Our weekend was topped off by a lovely breakfast in bed and late check out of 2pm! We would definitely stay at the norton park hotel again & would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Tom186284, General Manager at Norton Park - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Norton Park and may I wish your boyfriend a belated happy birthday. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your romantic retreat and found the food fantastic. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I have just returned from an overnight spa break... firstly, the accommodation cannot be faulted in terms of cleanliness. However, when booking I was told there would be no reduction to have 3 adults in one room which I couldn't really understand as this is standard practice at most hotels. The room had a double bed and a 'z bed' - the z bed was OK, but apart from the extra bed in the room the room only had facilities for 2 people - 2 sets of towels, 2 mugs etc. If I'm paying the same price for 3 people, I expect there to be enough towels and mugs etc. for 3 people in the room!

My spa treatment was disappointing - no background music (lot's of staff chattering in the corridor though!) plus the room wasn't particularly warm. On the other hand, my friend, who had the same treatment booked really enjoyed her experience - her bed was warm and she had background music. It's a shame that service isn't consistent..

Food was good, although the waiter must be on commission for selling wine - felt too much of a hard sell.

We seemed to have to walk around with our luggage a lot as rooms not available at check-in, we eventually left them in the spa reception however this area was not secured and the spa reception was unattended some of the time.

Overall, an OK price for what we paid, not sure if I would return though...

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Tom186284, General Manager at Norton Park - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Norton Park. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed by your treatment and you didnt find your room warm enough however I am glad to hear that you found the accomodation comfortable and food tasty.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I booked a valentine's weekend away with my girlfriend to Norton Park. The hotel had a wedding or large party on both Friday and Saturday night, but you would not have known it. The staff were so helpful that nothing was too much trouble. The food was fantastic, on the Friday night there were no tables in the restaurant so we had room service which arrived within 20 minutes and was just delicious. Saturday night we ate in the restaurant and the food was again top notch. Prices were reasonable (3 course meal for £26 a head) and the quality and portion sizes were spot on. Despite being flat out, the staff were amazingly friendly and courteous at all times.
As an example as to the length the staff will go to to make sure the guests are happy, I am a very keen cyclist so had my bike with me for the weekend (with my girlfriend's permission of course!) on the Saturday the weather was horrendous and so the housekeeping staff allowed me to use the bike on my stationary rollers in the housekeeping store! What service!
If I had one complaint, and this is no fault of the hotel at all is that on the Saturday there were some couples in the swimming pool area that were behaving somewhat inappropriately for a public space. I'm not a prude but this did make other guests feel uncomfortable I'm sure. Had perhaps there been a lifeguard or staff member in the area then this wouldn't have happened, but this is a very minor comment and when you have 300 rooms that are full in any hotel you'll always get someone who doesn't know how to behave!

I'll definitely stay again at this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Norton Park. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your valentines retreat and found the team so accommodating and helpful. I am delighted to hear that you found the food delicious and that the housekeeping team were able to accommodate your cycling. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

This is a beautiful place to stay. We have just come back from a Masonic weekend and it couldn't have been better apart from the weather which really played havoc with the electrics. They must have their own generator because it always clicked back in and must have been very frustrating for them all but the show went on. Our room was very modern and clean as was the bathroom. The staff were very helpful and even supplied torches to every room during the night just in case there were further problems. There are lots of things to see near buy but unfortunately some were shut this time of year so will have to return to see further sights.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are a bit of a trek from reception area so if you don't want to walk too far...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Norton Park. I am glad to hear that you had such a fantastic time at your masonic event and found the hotel and the grounds so beautiful. As you have mentioned the current weather that has been affecting the south did cause power disruptions but I am glad that this did not affect your stay and that the staff were on hand to help. We look forward to welcoming you back (hopefully when the weather is warmer and dryer).

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We have just returned from the Norton Park after a weekend 'Romance' package. We upgraded to the Manor House room 3 as stayed at the hotel 5 years ago in room 1 for two nights after our wedding 5 Years ago we had a great experience, the hotel was in really good condition, spotlessly clean etc. This time however the room was really not clean at all. The curtains had a layer of visible dust, all the furniture also had a layer of dust. The bathroom was grotty and really in need a re-furb. The shower door actually fell off on the first day which we had to get repaired. The mattress was saggy which we also had to get replaced. The bin was grubby and looked like it had not been cleaned for a while and all the tiles need re-grouting. The bathroom was freezing and we had to move a portable radiator into the room so that we were not shivering when we got out of the shower. We plugged in our radio and when looking behind the television you could see the skirting's had not been dusted for months and the carpets are well over due to be replaced. We totally understand that this part of the hotel is old, however you are charging quite high prices for these rooms so as a guest I would expect the cleanliness to be superb.

My other disappointment was the public area toilets, I actually did not want to use them. The toilet in the main bar were disgusting and really in need of a good clean and the ones in the restaurant were not that much better. It all needs to be updated, as is looking very tired.

I can however not fault the staff, the spa was great, the food and the service, all were superb, its just a real shame that the best rooms in the hotel actually are really tired and in need of some TLC. I am now regretting paying the upgrade and wishing we had gone for one of the more modern rooms in the main hotel.

Room Tip: Do not upgrade to the manor house, save your money.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay. I would like to apologize for the shortfall in Housekeeping standards that you experience which is a rare occurrence. I am reviewing the matter with my Housekeeper to see how these shortfalls occurred. We have a rolling plan of refurbishment that include the public toilets, carpeting and further bedroom upgrades. I am glad that you enjoyed all the other aspects of your stay.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Stayed here on a business trip for four nights. It was really good from the efficient friendly reception team to the restaurant staff.

The room was a good size and quiet. The food in the restaurant was very good - the halloumi salsa salad was brilliant!

I have stayed in quite a few places whilst working, this one is easily the best

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Norton Park. I am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I have passed on your commendation to the kitchen team. Hopefully you will be able to return for leisure on your next visit. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Scotney
#1 of 13 in Winchester
Holiday Inn Winchester
Holiday Inn Winchester
#6 of 13 in Winchester

Been to Norton Park - A QHotel? Share your experiences!