“Could be better”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sutton Scotney
Hitchin, United Kingdom
“Could be better”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The setting & location were fine for our weekend away. The staff were, on the whole, friendly. The room adequate. However, the bar prices were unacceptably high & I waited nearly 15 minutes to be served early Saturday evening, even though there were several members of staff on duty. I was part of a group staying for the weekend & on Friday evening we had a BBQ at the manor house, again a nice setting but the food for a 4* hotel was unimaginative, sausages, burgers & salmon, jelly & fruit for pudding, for the price paid for dinner bed & breakfast, not impressed. However, the gala dinner on Saturday for our group was very good & I must thank them for arranging an alternative main course for me as I don't eat the item on the set menu. Breakfasts were good, but service here was poor. Based on this experience, I will not rush to visit a Q Hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Tom186284, General Manager at Norton Park - A QHotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay and I am glad that you enjoyed the lovely setting and and found the staff friendly. The BBQ menu was chosen by the organiser of your group from a selection of menu's. Our bar prices are in line with regional 4 star hotels and our local market. I apologise that service at breakfast was not up to our normal standards and will discuss this with the restaurant team. I do hope you change your mind and give Q hotels an other opportunity to show why we are Which Magazines "Hotel Group of the Year"

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Polish first
Salisbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here for 49th Birthday celebrations. 11 women on a 'girls night in' package. Great hotel, free wine in the room which the staff very kindly allowed us to take to our table in the evening and excellent spa treatments enjoyed by all. Very lovely restaurant staff provided lunchtime entertainment for the 40th Birthday Girl which had us all laughing! Would recommend this hotel for good value and great service.

• Stayed May 2014
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Nice relaxing family break to celebrate my birthday. Wasn't able to use the Spa but will try it out on our next visit. Overall a comfortable break and food excellent. Staff very helpful to us and accomodating. Ensure you prebook the dinner if you choose to eat at the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

It's a big hotel, as previous reviewers have written, the rooms can be far from the pool/restaurant/bar so if this is a problem for you ask for closer room when booking. We stayed on bank holiday weekend, so the restaurant was fully booked. We were advised we could order the same food (and actually we ordered off the bar menu as was better than restaurant menu) in the bar. Glad we ate in the bar as was more informal and comfy sofas, nice atmosphere. Bar staff very helpful and good customer service. Pool nice, no Jacuzzi. Breakfast great! Lovely grounds on a sunny day.

Only complaint we have is that they only had one person on reception...at check in and check out! Had to queue which is not on when staying in such a large, pricey hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay over the Bank Holiday weekend. I will pass on your kind comments to the bar team. I apologise for the shortage of staff at Reception that was the result of staff illness. We look forward to welcoming you back to Norton Park
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Well where to start….
We had a spa visit myself and 3 friends, firstly our room was 30 minutes late so we couldn’t check in until 3:30 but the staff at the front desk were very apologetic and lovely so we were fine we took the time to look around the grounds.
The Spa was very busy so we didn’t even get a sun longer or a chair which was a bit of a pain unless we were in the pool, sauna or steam room there was basically nothing to do and nowhere to sit. (there were only about 15 sun loungers (maybe 1 or 2 more) and some chairs so not really that many; also there was no Jacuzzi which isn’t a massive thing but if im going for a spa break I would like the full treatment but it’s a personal preference!

We had our treatment which was nice and then were taken into the ‘relaxation room’ which wasn’t really relaxing there were damp patches all over the ceiling and it was just quite dull and dim, I think they were going for a quiet and dark and relaxing vibe when creating the room but a dark room with lots of brown fabrics and damp patches on the ceiling is dull and not really very nice.

Our Spa package included dinner, lunch and breakfast, the set menu for dinner wasn’t really exciting; we were given bread and butter to start, im assuming the bread was toasted but it was cold so it was more like stale bread; I chose chicken and they forgot to put the potatoes on my plate and my chicken was over cooked, my sister had beef steak again over cooked and my friend had the vegetable hot pot which had what I can only describe as a sawdust texture it was terrible.
A lady opposite and next to us also had the same everyone was scraping it off onto their plates and complaining, our dinner took no longer than 10 minutes once we had ordered so obviously not cooked to order.

We saw all these lovely burgers and curry’s leaving the kitchen for people who obviously were not on the spa package and we were all starving as the portions were tiny we complained about the food and the waitress offered to get us some platters from the bar which were lovely, completely opposite to our dinner which was grim to be honest.
Our desserts were not much better, stale carrot cake and everything else must have come out of a packet

The spa its self needs a revamp it’s not somewhere I would re-visit; I don’t think we spent more than 4 hours in the Spa just because there was nowhere to sit and chill out as it was so busy.
The rooms were fine I can’t really fault the rooms just the spa and the food!

Room Tip: Rooms were fine, nothing amazing
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Hannah S
Tom186284, General Manager at Norton Park - A QHotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay. I would like to apologise that you found the pool hall overcrowded. This past weekend, being a Bank holiday, we had more groups on spa breaks than normal adding to the issue with sitting space on the lounges.I note your comments regarding the ceiling tiles that have now been replaced.These were damaged due to a water leak over the weekend. The dinner menu you dined from was our main restaurant menu and I am sorry your dish was not served with the correct accompinements or temperature. We did get comments regarding the vegetable hot pot and removed this item from the menu. We served over a 150 diners each evening over the weekend with the feedback generally positive.The burgers and curry dishes you saw were from our Bar/lounge menu.Thank you again for your feedback and we will use this information to help drive our standards forward
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Checked in on a busy bank holiday Sunday, 1 girl on the reception and a queue of 4 people.
Not given any information about our spa break upon checking in.
Room was overall good. Apart from the dirty toilet brush!
Dinner as nice and for the £26 allowance had three courses. Three small courses. I had to ask 3 times for some of the complimentary bread being passed around by the waitress.
Breakfast was very good, very good selection.
Registered at the spa and went for our treatment at 10am. The lady giving the treatment to my friend was late to work, so she only had a 40 minute treatment. This was mentioned to the staff and she had a complimentary foot massage.
By the time we got out, every bed was taken with towels, and there was lots of people. Even two ladies had put towels down to reserve the hot beds!? Not sure that's courtesy at any hotel in the world!
We had a short swim, and had exited the pool and all spa areas by 12:30.
Lunch was also a good selection (voucher provides by the spa as this was not given to me on checking in!).
Overall, I have been to much much better spas, only by paying a small amount more than we did. It was the busiest spa area I have ever seen, and there was comments that it is always like that!
I don't think I will go again for a break here.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Tom186284, General Manager at Norton Park - A QHotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recnt spa break. This past weekend was particlarly busy in the spa due to the Bank holiday. We manage the flow of guest as best we can during busy times in particular in the pool hall and discourage reserving seats. I am glad that you enjoyed the food offering included in your spa break.
miltonkeynes
Reviewed 26 May 2014

What you expect from Q hotels. Good all round hotel experience with a friendly curve. We always get a room overlooking the car park and we did again but it was the same good nights sleep quality. food good facilities good and handy for Winchester and surrounding areas.

Room Tip: If you are not using the spa. ask for room near the restaurant. It can be a trek otherwise to your r...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Holiday Inn Winchester
Holiday Inn Winchester
#5 of 13 in Winchester

Been to Norton Park - A QHotel? Share your experiences!