“relaxing hen weekend”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sutton Scotney
Ely, United Kingdom
“relaxing hen weekend”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

A group of girls stayed at this hotel on a fabulous spa package for a hen weekend. We arrived in the hotel and had a very smooth check in and we were all impressed with our rooms. The spa was very busy, and we were a little disappointed with the number of people, especially children. The evening meal was delicious and the waiting staff very friendly and helpful, even when our bottle of prosecco was given to another hen party! We felt the bar, for a saturday night was lacking in atmosphere, with no music and it was freezing, which did not encourage us to stay and enjoy a few drinks. However given that there were at least 3 hen parties and a wedding, the lack of noise was surprising. We had drinks delivered to our room party and the bar staff were very tolerant of the hen carrying out dares! The breakfast the following morning was plentiful and delicious, there was a good selection and the waiting staff were very helpful. The spa on Sunday was a different place, very peaceful and we had fabulous treatments.

We had a wonderful weekend and lovely staff looking after us. Thank you very much.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed here recently and wasn't particularly impressed.
NB! Once you're at the hotel, should you need to get a taxi anywhere from there the taxi will come from Winchester, and they start the meter from Winchester, so the meter starts at £20 when they arrive to collect you from the hotel. You've been warned.

Otherwise, the rooms are clean and comfortable and the facilities are fine, for the price. The breakfast buffet is nothing special though...in fact, I have no idea how they make their scrambled eggs but it doesn't look like egg to me.

The pool, sauna and steam room are all fine. Although I should highlight that the hotel is rammed with ladies on spa/hen weekends so it gets packed around the pool during the day.

If you're passing in a car and want a place to crash that's clean with comfortable rooms the you'll be just fine here.

PS - should add that I was trying to call reception to ask then to book a taxi for me, 30min later someone picked up the phone.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Tom186284, General Manager at Norton Park - A QHotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review as all guest feedback is invaluable. We have recently re-vamped or breakfast buffet with very good feedback from guests. I have discussed your comments regarding the scramled eggs with the chef and it appears that the breakfast chef made to large an amount resulting in the eggs drying out. I will pass on your kind comments to the housekeeping team.
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my ex mother in law on a Friday night. We stayed on the 'Pink fizz' offer. This included an over night stay, pink fizz in your room, dinner, lunch and breakfast and 2 30min spa treatment. Such good value for money. The food is plentiful and delicious. Not Michelin star, but you get what you pay for!

I had a massage and a facial, very relaxing. The pool was a good size too. My only gripe was the hotbeds didn't work! A tip for you..... Keep hold of your robes and slippers!! You only get them on the day of your treatment, so on the 2nd day when I was relaxing by the pool I was robe less as I had handed them back the day before!!

Check in and check out is a little slow and we didn't receive our vouchers until lunch on the last day.

However I would definitely return to the Norton Park.......super relaxing break :-)

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Have been staying at this hotel for nearly 4 years approx 2/3 times per week through work. I have now finally decided to throw the towel in and go elsewhere.
The key issues in this hotel are;
In an effort to cut cost the basic food quality has been increasingly poor, in particular the quality of raw materials being used in meat and fish. I had fish and chips for room service last time which I sent back as there was more bones than fish. They then bought a burger which was frankly disgusting. It's not as if it's cheap either as a sirloin steak is £20+.
I tend to use room service a lot. I would say they get something wrong on nearly every occasion. Hopeless.
The rooms are functional and mostly clean, although again I have noticed recently holes appearing in towels and drains blocked etc. On that note, if you are in block 2 and fancy a hot shower think again. The plumbing is useless. I've gone to the gym on many occasions for a shower.
The restaurant is old fashioned and is absolutely not a destination restaurant.
The Hotel is geared towards conferences and as such is usually very busy and noisy. I think it's probably good for this sort of thing.
So the positives are it has a reasonable gym, it's in a good location if your sight seeing in the area and above all else (the only reason I have continued staying until now) the staff, most of whom are young kids, are absolutely the most helpful and friendly people anywhere. Despite errors and things going wrong nothing is ever too much trouble.
I have had some nights where the food has been good so it does depend on who's cooking. On balance though, in recent times you can see the hotel has cut back on most things.
If you stay for the odd night you may just get a good experience if you're lucky.

Room Tip: The rooms are in two blocks so stay away from the furthest block as it is miles to reception. Also...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Tom186284, General Manager at Norton Park - A QHotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I apologise for the poor experiences you have had recently. We appointed a new executive chef last week and he is in the process of reviewing & rewriting all of our menu's at present. A key focus for our Restaurant and bars manager is to improve the standard of Room service with the introduction of a dedicated Rooms Service team. I apologise for the shortalls in standards you have experiences but assure you that eveything is being done to rectify these issues. Please contact me directly to discuss your review.

Tom Fromm
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This hotel has the most welcoming staff and for the special spa package we all felt that we have had such very good value for money. The food included a varied menu for dinner and all the meat and fish were excellent quality. We received free bottles of sparkling rose and they even served them at our table; the wine was included up to the pre agreed value of the meal which is unusual in these package deals.

The rooms were clean and roomy, they looked over beautiful grounds and we were very comfortable.

The breakfast in the morning had everything from full English to fresh fruits and pastries again all of good quality and we were very surprised to see an array of fresh fruit salads jacket potatoes and savoury rices also included in the package with the most scrumptious cakes.

As we are 6 well travelled ladies we were very surprised at how excellent the whole package was for the money we paid and we will be coming back.

Our special thanks to Alex for the various different eggs and omelettes that you expertly fetched for our breakfast, to Lauren who served our evening meal and was so accommodating. To Michael who has been running the dining room throughout all our meals and even remembered that we willed hot milk and hot water with our coffees! To Rose who was such a lovely lady looking after us and all her staff so very well, lots of smiles and happy faces that make such a difference to our experience at the hotel. And last but not least to Amy and Della who gave us great relaxing massages and made us feel so comfortable and relaxed.

All in all the most fabulous time was had by all. Believe me I stayed here a couple of years ago and it wasn't a brilliant experience but it has changed massively and the staff are great.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Brackley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel as part of a group booking. The bedroom, though on the small side was clean and tidy as was the very small bathroom but did have a loaded cleaners cart parked by my bedroom door for the three days we were at the hotel. Not what you wish to see every time you enter and leave your room. The rooms do not have air conditioning and our was very stuffy and warm as a result

On our 1st night we had a group b b que at the manor house. The food was poorly prepared and presented by the hotel for example the baked potatoes were so overcooked they were unedable. Despite the b b que being outside in May the hotel had not considered deploying patio heaters and most of the party ran inside at the 1st opportunity to get out the cold. There was no bar but one member of staff took order to get drinks. due to the distance he had to go to get them service was painfully slow and we were never able to order a drink

The meal of the 2nd evening a gala dinner was of a good quality and well presented. The room was not and soon became excessively hot due to the lack of functioning air conditioning.

Breakfast was off an acceptable quality, particularly the sausages, but we did get told off on the 1st day because we went straight to a table. Guess this would not have happened if staff were present in the entrance and ready to help you For your 2nd day we had to have breakfast in a separate room which was hot and stuffy and smelt of fumes from the food warmer burners. The breakfast selection seemed restricted. Why cant hotels such as this ever chill the fruit juices

Bar service all weekend was so so slow despite a reasonable number of staff being present. The bottle neck appeared to be the lack of tills to take the money. Speaking of which the bar prices were unreasonable high

We did not use the spa, this was because when we went to look and use it there was no chairs to use around the pool, they all had towels on them. Compared to other spa hotels we have stayed at this on could only be classed as poor with for example no jacuzzi.

When we got home we received a survey request which I completed honestly. At the end of the survey it asked if I wished to be contacted re the issue I had raised. I selected yes but no one has ever been in touch.

To summarise the hotel was acceptable but very expensive with slow service. There was no wow factor. Based on my experience of a Qhotel I would not be rushing to use them again

Room Tip: You need a map of the hotel to find some room so if you fing walking difficult ask for a room near t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Birmingham, England.
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed in the Manor a House. The feature rooms have been refurbished: beautifully decorated with original features. However, the public areas of the Manor House are in urgent need of attention. The carpet is stained and the original panelling is in desperate need of restoration. The whole place requires a considerable spend. It created a poor first impression.
As usual for Q hotels, the staff is fantastic. Laura on reception went out of her way to find a new room for my mum who has mobility problems - Laura is gracious and has a real 'can do' attitude.
The food was reasonable but not memorable. Bar prices were high and we were shocked by the price of a pot of tea for two - over £7!
My husband enjoyed the gym and pool. He rated this aspect of the hotel as very good.
The location is remote but peaceful. In our feature room, we slept with the old sash windows open wide and enjoyed the country air and the dawn chorus.
Our complimentary newspapers appeared on our bill but were swiftly removed upon check out.

• Stayed May 2014
Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Holiday Inn Winchester
Holiday Inn Winchester
#5 of 13 in Winchester

Been to Norton Park - A QHotel? Share your experiences!