This was our second visit to Norton Park. The hotel is set in beautiful surroundings and is easy to find from the M3/A34.
On both visits the standard of service has been excellent, from reception to room service to restaurant/bar staff and the spa. The rooms are also of an excellent standard and clean.
We both had treatments in the spa for the first time during our stay this weekend (shoulder, neck and back massages) and again we were very pleased with the services that were provided. The spa staff were knowledgable and helpful.
Any requests we made were no trouble, for example asking to move tables in the restaurant to sit by the window as it was very hot was no problem. We also emailed ahead to request a room with a bath rather than a shower cubicle and again this was no problem.
The area that lets this hotel down is the food, particularly in the evenings. This time we booked a table in the restaurant at 8.45. Upon arriving for dinner we both remarked at how the room was exactly the same as it was at breakfast and did not feel like a restaurant that reflected the prices charged.
Before we had even had time to select wines, our good order had been taken and our starters arrived almost immediately. These were so obviously pre-prepared, although acceptable. We both ordered steak as our main course costing £26 each. This arrived within minutes of our starters being cleared. The steak itself was well cooked and seasoned but the accompanying chips were bland and undercooked, resembling oven chips and accompanied by a handful of bagged rocket with no other accompaniments. The desert that followed was of a similar standard, a sorbet that was OK, two small scoops but nothing special, and a hazelnut pot that appeared to be a spoonful of Nutella in a butter dish and an accompanying biscuit.
All in, dinner amounted to almost £100 including a couple of glasses of wine each and I don't think the standard of food reflected this. This is not to the detriment of the excellent staff who seemed to be ever present; at breakfast, in the day and serving dinner and drinks in the evening. As always there were several hen parties present and it seemed that the food was targeted more at those on package deals where margins are slim rather than those who are happy to pay a bit more for a good meal.
Breakfast was good and again the service attentive.
We will certainly be back as we enjoy the hotel and spa and it is conveniently located for us but we will look for a local pub or restaurant to dine at in future as the restaurant failed to match the high standards set by the staff and facilities at the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the outskirts of Winchester, Norton Park is a sumptuous four star hotel blending beautiful contemporary chic with historical elegance all set within 54 acres of peaceful grounds. No matter what your reason for visiting, on business, a family trip or a spa break, the hotel has all the facilities to surpass your expectations. For those visiting on business, be it for a board meeting, a residential conference, training seminar or annual dinner the state-of-the-art facilities are exceptional. Norton Park offers 16 conference and meeting rooms for up to 340 delegates within the main hotel, the Manor House and for something a little different the 17th century Tythe Barn. On the doorstep to all that Hampshire has to offer including historic Winchester with its magnificent cathedral and the coastal cities of Southampton and Portsmouth, Norton Park is an ideal base for a leisure break with family and friends. The hotel has 166 modern bedrooms, a large leisure complex and spa, a great restaurant and beautiful landscaped gardens to stroll around. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Norton Park - A QHotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Norton Park - a q Hotel Sutton Scotney
- Norton Park a Qhotel Winchester
- Norton Park - A QHotel Sutton Scotney, Hampshire