“Reasonable stay in a nice room”

Norton Park - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sutton Scotney
Greater London, United Kingdom
“Reasonable stay in a nice room”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

First time ever at a Q Hotel, although we have stayed at most of the major chains.
Pleasantly surprised by this one.
Drawbacks:-
Long walk from the car park to the hotel
Depending on which room you are allocated it can be a walk to your room as the hotel is a bit of a 'rabbit warren'
Food in the bar was over priced and we found the descriptions a bit ambiguous in their meanings
We were unable to eat in the restaurant as it was booked so we had no choice other than going into the bar for something to eat
Positives
Beautiful bed and pillows - great night sleep was had by both of us
Breakfast had a great selection of hot and cold foods - the only difficult bit was trying to attract the attention of staff who appeared to be skilled at ignoring the breakfast room guests.
Everything in the room was very nice and clean.
Bit slow at check out
Overall it was OK

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Tom186284, General Manager at Norton Park - A QHotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you very much for your review of your stay with us, I am glad you enjoyed your room and breakfast.
We are experiencing a very busy period at present and although we try our best to accommodate every guests individual dinner requirements, the restaurant does tend to get full and we always recommend booking in advance.
Due to planning restrictions, the hotel is spread over a larger area - the benefit of this being that most rooms have views of our lovely grounds.
Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Polish first
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on Wednesday night, on the way in the car park was full of around 70 people in funny coloured hats on some sort of team build blocking the road, then half of the car park was closed off for a specific event, leaving only spaces on the grass at the very far top end of the car park, miles from reception... The closed off bit was completely empty throughout my stay. I was alone on business and happy to stay out of the way of the large group that had taken over the place, my plan was to have a soak in the bath and a hot chocolate in front of the football... Having been allocated a disabled room there was no bath, would it have been too much trouble to mention this when I checked in and then no hot chocolate on the tea tray, clearly to save 20p. My room was the first one on the corridor through a noisy door so every time, which was all night, the door slammed and people streamed by it echoed round my room. A rubbish nights sleep was had. Feeling rubbish by breakfast time I then had breakfast whilst a waiter with nothing better to do watched me intently trying to take my plate away every time I took a drink of my tea, I couldn't wait to leave the place, and still the cordoned off section if car park was empty. I was treated like a second rate guest for being on my own when the place was overrun by groups in event, I will never stay here or a Qhotels again

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Andrew C
Tom186284, General Manager at Norton Park - A QHotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
I would like to apologise for the shortfall in standards you experienced during your stay last week. The level and type of business in the hotel was not our normal business mix as generally we may have one conference in but on this day we had three. The area of the carpark was reserved in order to display vehicles for one of the groups in the hotel. Please contact me, Tom Fromm , General Manager, on 01962763002 as I would like to invite you back to Norton Park so you can experience our normal high stanards and level of service.
Winchester
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I've visited this hotel quite a few times now,including a christmas over night stay.ive often used the spa with girl friends for a relaxing day.during my last visit on Sunday I'm afraid to say I feel things have gone down hill.the changing room was filthy,dirty floor with ingrained black dirt,the shower was slimy with grime on the walls with big lumps of congealed dirt on the shower tray.quite disgusting. Not sure when it had last seen any cleaning fluid.One shower was out of order which resulted in a long wait .the air con machine was chugging away with lights flashing and lumps of dust on the grills,it sounded like it was about to blow up.dirty towels on the benches and on hooks.and a damp musty smell to add to this.sorry folks but this is how I experienced the spa. Coffee and pastries outside was quite fine,but it was all looking rather 'tired'and not at it's best. Staff always have a smile and can't be faulted. Let's hope my next visit will show some improvements in the cleanliness department.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I apologise that the level of cleanliness was not up to our normal high standards. We had some major refurbishment works taking place that impacted overall cleanliness .Since your visit the airconditioning unit has been repaired, all shower units are operational and a deep clean has occurred. On a future visit you will once again experience our normal high standards.
Leeds
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The hotel is set in its own grounds just outside Sutton Scotney. The staff are pleasant and the hotel is new and very clean.

Breakfast is very good with lots of choice. The bar food menu is a little limited but there is a separate restaurant that might have a better menu.

If you are staying here then you probably need your own transportation as there isn't really anything within walking distance.

Room Tip: Some rooms are in an annex with an enclosed walkway to the main building. Possibly not ideal in the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your comments and I am glad you enjoyed your stay here at Norton Park.
We do offer both a bar and restaurant menu, offering more dining options to our guests.
I am glad you were happy with the hotel and staff and hope to see you again in the future.
Barton-upon-Humber, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel as part of a reunion group and have to say we were happy with the hotel but very disappointed with the staff and many aspects of the hotel, especially the evening meals and breakfast staff.
To be honest we expected much more from this hotel. I believe the major issue is staff training although the quality of the evening meals for the cost was poor. Over priced for small or badly presented food is unacceptable and I have had better at Wetherspoons at 33% of the price. Example fish and chips, a very small portion of fish and look warm chips for nearly £15.
The walk to the room from reception was a long one but the room was acceptable but I don't expect a shower over the bath with a curtain at this standard of hotel.
The final straw was breakfast - a nice lady asked tea or coffee, I said tea please, coffee arrived. I tried to attract the attention of a male team member he glanced in my direction but quickly looked away.

Room Tip: Breakfast food selection was good but staff spoilt it. Dinner menu was expensive for the quantity an...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Tom186284, General Manager at Norton Park - A QHotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay and I apologise for the shortfall in standards you experienced in the restaurant. We have recently appointed a new executive chef and will be introducing new menu's within the week. I have discussed your comments regarding breakfast service with the Bars & Restaurant Manager to ensure that further training is completed for new members of the team.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Prior to our arrival we received an email from Sophie asking what times we wanted to reserve dinner as we were on a package. She also asked if there was anything else she could do. We requested a quiet room and asked about storing our cycles somewhere.

On arrival Sophie was on reception, so it was nice to put a face to the name. She was very welcoming and helpful. We had booked a feature room in the manor house and she mentioned that the room was fairly big so our cycles would probably fit.

The room (1) called Carnation was indeed large and there was plenty of room for our bikes. Although a bit dark it had a very large bed, a chaise longue, 2 armchairs, a fireplace, a triple wardrobe, a small table and a desk. There were two windows with two different aspects but they looked out over the car park and side of the hotel. The bathroom was fairly large but was looking a bit dated/need of refurbishment. The bath was extremely deep so it was a climb to get into. I felt that the bathroom was not quite as clean as it could have been but it wasn't bad. The window here again overlooked the side of the hotel where I think kitchens may have been located.

We had meals included in our package and it was probably this that let the stay down. The food was okay but not spectacular. I had pulled pork for a starter and sirloin steak for a £10 supplement for main. The steak was good but I expected to get some extra bits with it like mushrooms, tomatoes but it came with chips and a rocket salad which seems limited for a £26 meal. For dessert I had cherry norton mess which was nice. My husband, who is a vegetarian had haloumi for starter and pasta for main. Again they were okay - there was nothing wrong with anything but it was just not outstanding. He had white chocolate and raspberry cheesecake for dessert and found it a bit bland. We ordered some wine and this was fine at £23. The waiters were incredibly friendly and efficient and we could not them at all- they could not do enough for you.

In fact all of the staff are fantastic. We asked for an extra towel, newspapers, shower gel which we had forgotten to bring and for someone to fix the safe and all were done immediately. Sophie also printed us off a cycle route that we asked for.

We used the gym and spa 3 times in all and they were all good. Having times for kids in the pool works well as we were able to swim without them being all over the place. In the evening we found it difficult to get a lounger as people on spa breaks had put their towels on them and gone away, this is frustrating but difficult to do much about apart from putting some signs up.

We had a second meal on Saturday evening and this was slightly better. Again the service was good. However, my husband found the portions very small and had the cheese at a supplement to try and satisfy his appetite. I also found the portions a little on the small side especially the pudding- chocolate and hazelnut cup.

Breakfast was good - masses of choice and well cooked. On the Saturday morning we arrived latish after going to the gym and some things had not been replaced but other than that no issues.

Our only other gripe was no hot water at 9 am ish on Saturday morning after going to the gym. My husband had a stone cold shower which he was not impressed with. However, this morning all seemed fine.

All in all, a very pleasant place to stay. I don't understand understand people complaining about walking between the spa, reception etc. It is not a long walk and no problem at all even staying in the manor house which is further away.

We will definitely be returning and in fact are due to go again mid-August for a family celebration.

Thank you to everyone, especially Sophie and all the other staff for all their help in making our stay so good.

Room Tip: We like the manor house and have stayed in 1 carnation and 6 tulip. Tulip has nicer views but carnat...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed on a breakaway deal for two nights as we arrived we drove up to the hotel through lovely open countryside,
Receptionist was very pleasant and helpful,room was clean and tidy,
Sat on the patio for pre dinner drinks it was very peaceful,evening meal was excellent on both nights staff was very helpful and pleasant,breakfast very good.
It was a very nice and peaceful place will be back very soon

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your lovely comments, I am delighted that you enjoyed your two nights with us so much. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Scotney
Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Holiday Inn Winchester
Holiday Inn Winchester
#6 of 13 in Winchester

Been to Norton Park - A QHotel? Share your experiences!