“Lunch with friends”

Ranked #3 of 6 Restaurants in Datchworth
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 week ago

We had been recommended The Horns by friends, however we were disappointed with our visit with family who we don’t see very often. The furnishings were very shabby which was a shame as the rest of the interior has a quaint country pub atmosphere.
The menu was bog standard pub grub but not very well presented and quite expensive for what we had, The coffee machine wasn’t working when we visited.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Booked at short notice....and was asked whether I was bringing a dog...
Due to lical traffic issues, phoned to delay booking by 30 minutes and this was no issue whatsoever.

I was so looking forward to a stonkingly good roast dinner, as I have experienced many times before.
Disappointed....don't get me wrong....it was average, yorkies & roasties not crisp, ordinary, boring veg. Roast pork was good, but not great...
The Horns used to provide outstanding Sunday lunches, with unusual, well prepared veg and brilliantly cooked tatties & yorkies...
Just disappointed....won't be rushing back..

Reviewed 11 October 2018 via mobile

Shortly before arriving I’d had a call to say my daughter had given birth to a daughter of her own...
Looking forward to toasting this with a nice pint of Guiness I wasn’t disappointed nor was I by the food - I had the two course set lunch Pate and Haddock really tasty - my friends also enjoyed their experience - another for the re-visit list!
Thank you... Excellent Value and Service...

Reviewed 18 August 2018 via mobile

Took my mum for lunch, had been once before and thought it was ok. Unfortunately on this occasion it wasn’t.

I ordered the chicken and Mum the salmon, both dishes looked grey and unappetising. The veg was over cooked and the sauce on both dishes appeared to be the same and tasteless.

Only highlight, was the cheesecake, which Mum liked very much.

Probably won’t go again.

3  Thank JulienneX9
Reviewed 3 August 2018

The staff were friendly and the food was tasty but the skin on my sausages was very chewy. The place has an interesting history which you can read about in one of the rooms. It is olde worlde with lots of beermats displayed on the walls. The outside seating could do with a bit od improvement, it was a bit rough and ready and we had to move inside as it was smokey.

1  Thank york1