“Pub Grub”

Ranked #3 of 6 Restaurants in Datchworth
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We’ve visited a few times over the last year and unfortunately it’s not consistently good. My little one likes it and for the price it’s not too bad and usually enjoyable. The place is a beautiful building inside and out and very welcoming staff and locals.

Date of visit: December 2018
1  Thank Tralsiboo

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Lunch booked on NY day for seven; pub was cosy and busy with a really nice atmosphere. We had rung in advance to check that gluten free options were available (they were) and when we arrived we restated that we needed gluten free and milk free food for one member of the party. I asked about the chips specifically and the waitress went to the kitchen to check and we ordered steak and chips. When it arrived the accompanying mushrooms looked buttery. The waitress admitted she had only asked about the chips being gluten free and we ascertained that butter had been used. We didn't get an apology or a discount on the food and we seemed to be held responsible for only asking about chips although we had clearly stated we needed wheat and milk free food. We were given the option of reordering, but the food had taken 40 minutes to arrive and we were warned it would take some time to arrive. In addition, the children's burger bun was stale and the burger dry and almost inedible. We commented on this too (in what I hoped was a constructive way) but got no apology. I don't usually write reviews but I am concerned about the apparent lack of training regarding food allergies and frustrated by the lack of apology.

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We went impromptu on a Thursday evening. Lovely young waitresses - polite and efficient - and tasty food.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed 7 November 2018

We had been recommended The Horns by friends, however we were disappointed with our visit with family who we don’t see very often. The furnishings were very shabby which was a shame as the rest of the interior has a quaint country pub atmosphere.
The menu was bog standard pub grub but not very well presented and quite expensive for what we had, The coffee machine wasn’t working when we visited.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 14 October 2018 via mobile

Booked at short notice....and was asked whether I was bringing a dog...
Due to lical traffic issues, phoned to delay booking by 30 minutes and this was no issue whatsoever.

I was so looking forward to a stonkingly good roast dinner, as I have experienced many times before.
Disappointed....don't get me wrong....it was average, yorkies & roasties not crisp, ordinary, boring veg. Roast pork was good, but not great...
The Horns used to provide outstanding Sunday lunches, with unusual, well prepared veg and brilliantly cooked tatties & yorkies...
Just disappointed....won't be rushing back..

Date of visit: October 2018