“Fantastic staff and stay”

Great Hallingbury Manor
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
“Fantastic staff and stay”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Lovely stay. Got vouchers from Groupon. Room really large and clean. I left my phone charger in room and didnt realise til I got home. Rang the hotel and they found it and sent it back to me in the post. Great service. Pretty hotel and grounds. Beautiful views over lake. Best of all were the staff. They were really helpful and friendly. Would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Kent
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel for a wedding at the same venue. I think the value of the room at £120 was poor as I would have thought guests got a better rate.
When I first sat on the side of the bed to put my shoes on I nearly did a backwards somersault as the mattress resembled a lump of foam from the local market. VERY uncomfortable.
Drinks prices extortionate for where it is located

Room Tip: I can only speak of our room in the stable block - good size but shocking bed.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Great Hallingbury hotels

Essex
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I purchased a voucher for afternoon tea for me and mum and it was wonderful ! the location is beautiful and the grounds are stunning. We received really good service and our waitress was kind, helpful and chatty - nothing was too much trouble.

I would definitely return and would recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Izzyamber
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

On seeing some of the comments on this site in reference to the Great Hallinbury Hotel, I now feel impelled to give my own feedback. My friends and I both booked exactly the same deal at this hotel, but alas the accommodation was NOT the same, they being given a superior double room and I being given a much smaller standard one! I feel rather cheated by this as we both paid the very same amount. Another issue I had was the cleanliness of the room, as others have stated. My husband and I had to keep our shoes on whilst staying in the room due to dust balls and hair on the floors surface and the bathroom was not cleaned to an acceptable standard either, we were also disturbed by some questionable stains on the bed throw. On a positive note, we found the staff excellent and the hotel and grounds are beautiful.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Booked an overnight stay on Valentines Day, not just due to Valentines but also for my 30th birthday - had read lovely reviews and was hoping for a nice romantic overnight stay. Deal included dinner, breakfast the following day and I had booked Afternoon Tea as a birthday treat on Saturday.

We had room 6 on the outside, first impression of the room was that it was like a sauna!! Heat was unbearable, two temperature gauges in the room however neither worked. Called reception and they couldn't do anything other that offer to turn the heating off to which we gratefully accepted, whilst leaving the door open trying to let some of the heat escape. Room itself was lovely, big bed, clean bedding, very modern and decent TV.

Dinner was lovely, we had the soup followed by Venison - both lovely.

Returned from dinner to find our room was even HOTTER!! Reception advised all the other guests had complained they were cold and apparently it isn't possible to change the room temperatures in individual rooms (no idea why temperature stats are fitted if you can't change them!). Reception bought us a fan as it was not possible from a safety aspect to go to sleep with our door wide open. We actually ordered room service which was lovely, the waiter was very pleasant and asked if he could do anything about the heat in our room, he too was shocked as to how hot our room was.

Another main niggle to point out was that we had no hot water in our shower for the entire stay, the general Manager was very kind and offered us a free bottle of wine but no-one wants to wake up on their 30th birthday to a migraine from the heat of the room and followed by a cold shower!!

Could have been a lovely Valentines & birthday weekend if it wasn't for the sheer heat of the room and the cold shower. Cancelled our afternoon tea as due to the heat just wanted to go home, spent the rest of the birthday in bed with a stinking headache from the heat of the room, can only imagine it made me dehydrated.

Nice staff, shame about the negatives as would have liked this as a potential venue in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms had a lovely view - maybe wait until the heating and showers are sorted though
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Positives: Huge room (first floor of the stable block), everything nice and clean, enormous comfortable bed, room was warm, even had to open window for a while! (February 15th 2014). Very quiet apart from the ineveitable aircraft noise from nearby Stansted aircraft although have to add that it did not trouble me, views over open fields towards Hatfield Forest.
Great service, a really superb evening meal, my fresh fruit platter looked like an edible piece of art...... such talent.
Staff were professional, attentive and friendly, particularly the restaurant staff, both for our evening meal and the staff on duty following morning.
I thought the gardens and lake provided a lovely setting for the hotel and would imagine it would be a great location for a wedding in the summer months
Negatives: my only mild disappointment was a slightly damp smell in the huge bathroom (complete with large wet area for showering), no problem once door kept closed to bedroom area. Spoke to the General Manager and he explained that those rooms were due to be refurbed shortly. My only other negative comment was that the lighting was very subdued! OK unless you chose to read during the evening but not a huge problem as I was asleep by 10pm!
All in all I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and felt it represented good value for money, would definitely return and recommend.

Room Tip: I was in room 3 in the stable block, up a short flight of stairs, also a short outside walk back fro...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Bury St Edmunds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed here on Valentines night 2014.
Let me start with the excellent points. The room was huge (superior room) beautifully decorated, comfortable bed, clean, modern bathroom, also very well decorated. Warm room on arrival, and kept warm through the stormy weather.
The food in the restaurant was well cooked, tasty and interesting. Great service, and a friendly manager.

Now the niggles.
Our shower had little or no hot water, although the water in the basin tap was hot. Although the room was warm there was no way to control the heating and it got too hot.

We stayed in one of the outside rooms, in the annex. Our room only had a patio window, the only opening was the door. The door opened on to the walkway which all of the other guests in the annex walked past, so for privacy we had to draw the full length curtains, and have the room in darkness. The lighting in the room was terrible, fine if you wanted a romantic, dim, boudoir, but hopeless for reading, working or anything that required light.

We ordered the tray breakfast in the morning, which arrived cold, after being sent back, we did get a warmish breakfast, but the biggest problem was the teapot. Full of hot water, but no teabags. Make sure you ask for tea with teabags if you order it.

Staff very attentive and the niggles were seen to as quickly as possible, but some things could not be sorted.
All in all a pleasant stay, maybe we were a bit unlucky with the room.

NB, its right under the Stanstead flight path, but it didn't bother us.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor annexe rooms
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Hallingbury
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Ramada London Stansted Airport
Ramada London Stansted Airport
#2 of 3 in Bishops Stortford
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stansted Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stanst...
#2 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,171 reviews

Been to Great Hallingbury Manor? Share your experiences!