“Only stay if part of a wedding party as they take priority”

Great Hallingbury Manor
“Only stay if part of a wedding party as they take priority”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Booked this hotel as a romantic weekend away using a groupon deal. Dinner included on the first night but only 2 courses, paid for 3rd course and 2 alcoholic drinks each and bill £35.00 at the end of the evening. Menu very limited and portion size small, my partner was hungry by 11pm we had dinner at 8! Breakfast included In the deal and was very good, nice variety of hot and cold food. When booking I was informed there was a wedding reception on the Friday night and was told that we would be given a room away from the wedding, to be fair we were and we didn't hear any of the wedding reception until the party goers returned to their rooms. The walls are so thin you can hear people putting the card keys in to access the rooms, and I could even hear someone pee in the room next door, wooden floors mean you hear every footstep and we didn't get a good nights sleep at all. On the Saturday the mother and father of the next bride to be rocked up and were put into the room next to ours - all morning you heard people coming and going and we tried to leave our room we were pushed out the way in order for photos to be taken etc. When they returned to their room at 2am they tried to access our room a couple of times and then first thing someone was knocking on the door talking about announcing them at breakfast.
The room itself was lovely and spacious we were in a superior room - the bed was a nightmare 2 singles pushed together, we couldn't sleep next to each other as you felt like you were falling between the 2 beds which meant our romantic weekend was opposite sides of the bed! The noise from the planes was ok if you kept the windows closed but on a hot summers day it would drive you crazy.
The staff were all pleasant but didn't speak very much English with the exception of one very lovely lady who never stopped smiling and checking we were ok.
Overall, I would not stay here again but the setting is lovely.

3 Thank gemma r

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I enjoyed a delicious afternoon tea on a sunny Saturday afternoon in comfortable surroundings overlooking the gardens. The sandwiches were varied and presented on brown and white bread, and the fillings were interesting and generous; the scones as light as feathers with plenty of jam and clotted cream; the prosecco fruity and fizzy; plentiful tea and a scrummy selection of cakes. What better way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Excellent value for money and very smiley and efficient staff too.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My wifi stayed here priort o jetting off on our hols two weeks ago.
The room was spacious as was the bathroom and reasonably well equipped.
The problem was the smell of raw sewerage in the bathroom..... No wonder the window was left wide pen, so they knew there was a problem.
At first we didnt notice, but on closing the window due to temperature and jet aircraft noise, the smell soon became unbearable. So window back open and intermitent sleep all night due to cold and noise.
Why let a room yoy know has issues???
Get the issue sorted...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Jonathan B, General Manager at Great Hallingbury Manor, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Thank you for your review which you wrote on trip advisor. I was very concerned to read your feedback and I would like to apologise sincerely for not meeting your expectations during your recent stay with us. This is most certainly not the high standard and quality which we strive to achieve and I will most certainly share your feedback with our Housekeeping and Maintenance teams in order for us to prevent this kind of issue in the future. I only wish that you would have brought this to the attention of the Duty Manager or myself so that we could have had the opportunity of making your stay more comfortable and a better experience.

Should you wish to discuss your stay in more detail, please kindly contact me on gm@greathallingburymanor.co.uk

Once again, please do accept our apologies.

Kind Regards

Jonathan

Travellers are raving about these Great Hallingbury hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

we stayed here recently for one night and the hotel itself is very nice - food tasty and staff very accommodating and room was spacious and cosy. Breakfast was one of the tastiest I have had from a buffet !!!! However there was some confusion on check out. We gave card details on check-in and were of the opinion we had paid for our bar bill and was actually told we had on departure. However this was not the case and we were very shocked to receive an email the following day saying we had not paid !!!! very embarrassing as this has never happened to us before in all our hotel stays. Did actually take the pleasure out of the trip and would feel very embarrassed to return !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

My partner and I had a lovely Saturday afternoon tea at Great Hallingbury Manor in April 2014.
Close to the M11 and Stansted we thought the hotel might suffer from airport noise but we didn't overly notice the aircraft except for when we parked up.

The hotel and grounds were lovely and green. The afternoon tea room / restaurant overlooked a lovely decking area next to the lake.

The sandwiches were very fresh and prepared with ample fillings. The cakes tasted home baked and delicious. Especially the scones which were so light they tasted like sponge.

Staff were friendly and helpful. A full pot of tea and extra milk was provided when we emptied the first.

Having purchased a Groupon deal we both thought the afternoon tea would be excellent value even at full price.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My mother in law treated myself and my husband to afternoon tea through a Groupon voucher which she gave us on Christmas day being that I had recently had our first baby and we don't get to spend much quality time together as a couple. I decided to book it for today (our anniversary) and had been really looking forward to it. Babysitter sorted, posh clothes on, we excitedly left home and took the 45 minute journey to the hotel. Bad mistake!
On arrival I noticed a wedding car in the car park and immediately knew something was wrong. I said to my husband 'I bet they say we have no booking today'. As we got to reception the lady behind the desk was trying to find someone else's booking but turns out they had been double booked. She told them to sit and wait and stayed sitting down. Then without actually acknowledging us properly or standing up she rudely gestured toward us and asked what we needed. I explained we had a booking for afternoon tea and she seemed very surprised and turned her back on us to double check. Next thing she stood up and walked in front of us and said 'come this way'! Astonished at her rudeness we did as we were told.
Thinking we were going to a restaurant or bar, we were very surprised to find we had a sofa 'reserved' for us in what can only be described as the hallway, which had a small coffee table and a couple of plates on. The receptionist left without another word. Another lady came along, I presume she was the server/waitress?! She was lovely and immediately recognised that there was an issue. She explained that she only knew about our booking this morning and as they had the wedding in there was no space for us, and apparently tried calling us but the line had a dead tone. She then said the same thing happened the day before trying to call someone else and she thinks they have a problem with their line. Whilst talking to us there was lots of wedding guests walking past us and standing around chatting etc so it was abundantly clear that the whole place was for them and had we eaten in the lobby we would have been stared at and felt very uncomfortable.
The server asked if we wanted to book for another day which we did accept as there was no way I was going to sit having my tea in the middle of someone's wedding!
I am absolutely disgusted that we were treated in this way. I was hoping to book the night for us but had no-one to look after our daughter. I'm so glad we didn't if this is how it's run. We did rebook our tea but that's hardly compensation for our ruined anniversary, the hour a half wasted journey and petrol getting there and back, the baby sitter we had to pay and the just the sheer stress and inconvenience of it all. Plus the rudeness of the receptionist and the blatant admission that they knew it was going to be an issue yet didn't think to use another line to call us and let us know? Rebooking is the least they could do considering that's what was paid for and we didn't even get a measly sandwich! They couldn't even offer us a drink to apologise while they sorted things out - what a disgrace. I am so disappointed and upset by this. I was looking to potentially stay here in the future but not willing to pay to stay somewhere that doesn't care about it's customers unless they are part of a wedding.

Wish me luck for June - hoping the service gets better by then, if I even bother going at all! I won't hold my breath!

Room Tip: go somewhere else!