“Not just a village pub and restaurant”
Review of Hermit of Redcoats

Hermit of Redcoats
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Hermit of Redcoats has undergone a complete refurbishment to return it to its original rustic country style. We aim to provide a traditional pub atmosphere with great ales, wines and a hearty menu. We pride ourselves on serving quintessentially British food; locally sourced recipes from our country's culinary history made exceptionally well. Our team of chefs are passionate and talented so come and visit our gorgeous pub and gardens to sample a true taste of English country life. We hope to see you soon.
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Four of us descended on the Hermit for a celebration birthday dinner. The atmosphere is lovely with contemporary decor setting off the old building beautifully. They serve a great range of gins and superb ales and have a well stocked and reasonably priced wine cellar. We were greeted with a warm welcome and after drinks shown to a nice travel with comfortable chairs. Oh and rag napkins, joy of joys not the bloody awful paper ones. Nice cutlery and china as well. The chef does wonders with fresh ingredients and we all chose different starters and mains. I won't list these as they can be viewed on the website but worth mentioning is the fish and chips with glorious light batter and superb chips, the langoustines and cockles in cider, the lamb three ways which was just sumptuous. There was even a birthday card on the table for us. Those of you who read my reviews know that I am had to please and I was very pleased with our meal, the service and the overall value. Excellent - give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

4  Thank ChefCliveM
There are newer reviews for Hermit of Redcoats

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

We have visited this pub many times on the way back from Stevenage and have never been disappointed. The food is excellent and varied and the staff are friendly and efficient. There is a large garden and plenty of tables on the well kept patio. There are log fires in the winter. A great pub.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I ate here in a party of eleven people. The upstairs dining room was great, the food was very good indeed and the service superb. My starter, potted rabbit, came wittily with a pickled baby carrot and creamed carrot. My haddock and chips was the best I have ever eaten - sumptuous fish, chips to die for and a decent portion.

I was drinking a good local real ale, but I tasted the house Sauvignon Blanc and it was excellent - crisp, dry and fruity all at once. Even the coffee was good (for once in England!)

This is a really, really good place. It is not bargain basement (anyone looking for a two meals for £9.95 deal, keep looking) but neither is it expensive. This is proper cooking served at reasonable prices in a convivial atmosphere. Who could ask for more?

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Had a wonderful lunch here with client. Food excellent service fantastic will be going back. We arrived early and really made to feel welcome. The food was outstanding full of flavour only wished I had more time would definitely go back with friends.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I drive past the Hermit of Redcoats on my way to and from work most days and have for a long time had in the back of my mind to pop in sometime to see what it's like. This evening my partner and I drove past on the way to an early evening film and decided we would call in on the way back. It was a very good decision. The pub has a nice relaxing feel to it, pleasant and attentive staff and the food was absolutely delicious. I've never bothered to write a review of anything before but felt it was important enough to do so this time! We plan to go back on Saturday evening to try something else on the menu. Yum yum!

1  Thank Alice R