“Bangla Spice, Leyland”

Ranked #3 of 82 Restaurants in Leyland
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Ate here alone on a hot, humid Friday evening. On arriving, I couldn't see any small tables but when asked, they suggested a table in the back-room (which was otherwise empty). I wasn't so sure about this as it marked me out as a 'billy-no-mates', but actually worked quite well - meant that I was left in peace with my Kindle.

Poppadums to start - can't go wrong with these, and they didn't. Four chutneys - the usual supects, so pretty average in this respect (would be nice to see our Asian chefs trying something different here, but I imagine for every person that wants something different, there's one that doesn't).

Started with the Salmon Ka Tikka Puree from the connoisseur starters section of the extensive menu, which was described as "Deep fried unleavened bread stuffed with Salmon"; however, when it arrived it looked like a normal Chat Puri, with the salmon mixed in with the chat massala. I suppose this was a little disapointing, but it tasted excellent, so top marks anyway. Side salad was interesting too - had olives and a chilli in it, which was pleasing. They left the chutneys from the poppadums without asking, which was a nice touch too.

Moved on to a Chicken Shahee from the signature dishes section ("Spring chicken and minced lamb combined with spices and seasoning cooked with tomatoes, capsicum and onions then thickened to give a rich taste"). Ordered a tarka dhal, a plain naan and couple of chapatis.

Everything very good to splendid, I'm pleased to say. The Shahee was lovely - very tasty. In my experience curries served with minced lamb can sometimes be a bit glutinous and cloying, but this was just delicious and thick and rich. Chicken was perhaps a touch dry - maybe this could be served with a tikka chicken? However, a minor point, to be honest.

Naan was excellent; scorchingly hot, fluffy in the middle and crispy elsewhere. Chappatis were also spot-on - not too thick as can often be the case.

The highlight for me was the Tarka Dhal, soft and grainy and garlicky. Some might have found it a bit salty, but I loved it; a great accompaniment.

Overall, I enjoyed my meal - the food was very good to excellent, and the staff were very attentive and helpful, doubly pleasing when you consider the main room was pretty busy with families and couples.

Meal as above plus a couple of pints of coke came to £28, which I was pretty happy with.

There are newer reviews for Bangla Spice

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Had a lovely meal here last Saturday although couldn't eat it all as too full so they put leftovers in takeaway trays. Would highly recommend this restaurant, very friendly staff.

1  Thank SallyWoo
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Went with the wife last Friday night after a friend recommended and had a lovely meal. Strange set up where you wait in reception area and order your meal before you sit at the table. Starters were excellent and my lamb garlic chilli balti was out of this world. Couple of drinks and a shared sweet was all very reasonably priced. The young waiters were heckling their mobiles every now and again and when we asked for the bill we were told no problem but then just left us waiting at our table for 10 minutes. Ended up paying at the bar. We would definitely go again

2  Thank Richard B
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Just had a wonderful meal here the food was fantastic both our starters and mains were cooked to order very tasty and and hot. Cannot find a thing to moan about would highly recommend to lovers of Indian food.

6  Thank boolsy
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

After hearing lots of positive comments about Bangla Spice, my husband and I called in for a takeaway curry on our way home. I chose chicken rogan josh and hubby ordered chicken tikka masala.

I was expecting amazing things so was shocked when the first mouthful nearly blew my head off! I can take a spicy curry and usually order either madras or rogan josh.

Apart from the extreme heat, the flavour wasn't great and the chicken wasn't very 'melt in the mouth'. Hubby said his was 'distinctly average' in flavour too.

Will stick to Titash in Bamber Bridge in future!!

1  Thank country-girl-357