“Best restaurant around”

Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Best restaurant around”
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my family love nothing more than a great curry. We've been going to Bangla Spice ever since it opened and we've not had one bad experience. It's been absolutely fantastic every time, the best curry I've ever had, it's just what Leyland needed. Would thoroughly recommend and any of these reviews which say it's "awful" are obviously from people who don't like curry at all. If you're a true curry lover you wouldn't be disappointed. Jamal and all the staff are the nicest people ever, couldn't ask for anything more from Bangla Spice.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Lyndsey H

Preston, United Kingdom
“Average”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I've been a few times now, and yes the staff are very nice, but the food is just average. There are better Indian restaurants in the area that cost much the same.

I've been for group meals, both with family and more recently with friends. I think if it were just myself and my partner and the venue choice were just up to us, neither would visit here.

It's not unpleasant, it's just not that spectacular either.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Lea_1980_2014
Hamilton, Bermuda
“Superb”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Visiting my parents in Lancashire, have to say the best Indian I have had in a long time ! We had a mixture of things , my favorite being Madras and the samba. Onion rice delicious. Will return before we leave Lancashire for sure.

Preston, United Kingdom
“Best takeaway meal ever! ”
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

After visiting Bangla Spice several times for meals in their restaurant and also take aways, we can honestly say that they always cater for every need. The staff are friendly, the atmosphere is lovely and the food is probably the best and tastiest we've ever had. We have visited many traditional Indian restaurants and this establishment is by far superior to any other! We'll be there next week! Thanks guys.

1 Thank Gasfusion
Clitheroe
“Bangla Spice, Leyland”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Ate here alone on a hot, humid Friday evening. On arriving, I couldn't see any small tables but when asked, they suggested a table in the back-room (which was otherwise empty). I wasn't so sure about this as it marked me out as a 'billy-no-mates', but actually worked quite well - meant that I was left in peace with my Kindle.

Poppadums to start - can't go wrong with these, and they didn't. Four chutneys - the usual supects, so pretty average in this respect (would be nice to see our Asian chefs trying something different here, but I imagine for every person that wants something different, there's one that doesn't).

Started with the Salmon Ka Tikka Puree from the connoisseur starters section of the extensive menu, which was described as "Deep fried unleavened bread stuffed with Salmon"; however, when it arrived it looked like a normal Chat Puri, with the salmon mixed in with the chat massala. I suppose this was a little disapointing, but it tasted excellent, so top marks anyway. Side salad was interesting too - had olives and a chilli in it, which was pleasing. They left the chutneys from the poppadums without asking, which was a nice touch too.

Moved on to a Chicken Shahee from the signature dishes section ("Spring chicken and minced lamb combined with spices and seasoning cooked with tomatoes, capsicum and onions then thickened to give a rich taste"). Ordered a tarka dhal, a plain naan and couple of chapatis.

Everything very good to splendid, I'm pleased to say. The Shahee was lovely - very tasty. In my experience curries served with minced lamb can sometimes be a bit glutinous and cloying, but this was just delicious and thick and rich. Chicken was perhaps a touch dry - maybe this could be served with a tikka chicken? However, a minor point, to be honest.

Naan was excellent; scorchingly hot, fluffy in the middle and crispy elsewhere. Chappatis were also spot-on - not too thick as can often be the case.

The highlight for me was the Tarka Dhal, soft and grainy and garlicky. Some might have found it a bit salty, but I loved it; a great accompaniment.

Overall, I enjoyed my meal - the food was very good to excellent, and the staff were very attentive and helpful, doubly pleasing when you consider the main room was pretty busy with families and couples.

Meal as above plus a couple of pints of coke came to £28, which I was pretty happy with.

• Visited July 2014