“Average at Best” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Grapes
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Croston
Price range: US$5 - US$21
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Dining options: Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Wine and Beer
Lancashire, United Kingdom
“Average at Best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We planned a trip to Croston to catch up with friends and decided to review the options on TripAdvisor first before we booked. This approach has never failed me until now, I simply can't understand some of the reviews below? I had to check the picture to make sure it was the same place. The food is average at best, Service is slow and the decor is dull and dated, I love traditional country pubs but they need to be kept maintained. My partner was going to order the afternoon tea that everyone is raving about but when a table close by received one we swiftly changed our minds, not up to the hype. Don't get me wrong the Sandwiches we had weren't terrible and the experience wasn't the worst but I will perhaps try somewhere else in future.

2 Thank W4dey74

Croston
“A lovely afternoon tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

I have just been for afternoon tea with my daughter for her birthday treat, we really enjoyed it, delicious and so prettily arranged. I've been for tea at the Goring in London and this was just as nice!
In response to the poor review posted yesterday, we had no problem asking a waitress to top up our tea pot etc, why didn't you just ask when the picnic table would arrive!

Visited July 2014
4 Thank hilaryholt
“Afternoon Tea!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Went for afternoon tea for my sisters 30th Birthday and it was absolutely fantastic! Service was brill and food was amazing will defo be going again!

2 Thank Fezbomb
Manchester, United Kingdom
“fantastic afternoon tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

I have been for lots of afternoon teas and can honestly say this has been the best I have ever had. It is presented on a picnic bench and consists of mini soup, fish and chips, sausage rolls, quiche, sandwiches and a great selection of sweet treats and to top it off a drink of pimms. This is all for £12.50 which is incredible value.
The location of the pub is in a lovely little village and the pub has a great outside seating area.

3 Thank jackie c
Preston
“Afternoon Tea Treat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

This is without doubt one of the best afternoon teas I have ever had, and believe me, I've had a few! Forget the Sharrow Bay or Betty's and get down to The Grapes in the beautiful village of Croston for a real treat! The pub is well-situated in the centre of the village and there's plenty of parking at the pub. A large party of seven, we went on a warm and sunny Friday afternoon and enjoyed sitting out on the decking. The service was efficient and friendly and it wasn't long before our feast arrived! Afternoon tea was served on pretty benches and comprised: crustless sandwiches of smoked salmon, egg mayonnaise, ham and wholegrain mustard; delicious home-made caramelised onion quiche; mini fish & chips; sausage rolls; Pimms; a huge pot of tea; rocky road; chocolate cake; raspberry mousse and goodness knows what else! All of it was home-made and for the bargain price of only £12.50 I cannot recommend it enough. Everyone in our party said they'd be back with guests within the next week! Thanks to all the staff at The Grapes, in particular to landlady, Helen, for a wonderful afternoon!

• 4 of 5 bubbles