“Dirty room, terrible breakfast”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Rothley Court

Rothley Court
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rothley
“Dirty room, terrible breakfast”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Stopped here with my husband and family for a wedding which was down the road.
All our rooms were in the annex and 2 out of the 3 were disgusting. Our room was so dirty, full of dust and old cobwebs with dust on them. The glasses in the bathroom had toothpaste in them with lip marks around the rim. The kettle was full of old manly water. There was a wedding which took over the whole garden and made us feel unwelcome sitting outside. I have no issue with stopping at a hotel where there is a wedding on, but when they are in a communal area and ask you to move it's not on. The room was so hot we had the door of the bedroom open while we were getting ready just to try and get some breeze. The breakfast in the morning was terrible. Not enough staff to cope, waiting a long time to be served. Ran out of glasses. Eggs looked and tasted like the had been microwaved. I could go on and on.
Unfortunately we didn't get time to complain while we were there as we literally checked in, got ready in a rush and then headed out. But we have sent a complaint in with no reply.

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Jen P
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Rothley Court, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Than you for letting us know about your stay at Rothley Court
I am sorry that we did not live up to our normal high standards and I have passed on all your comments to the relevant areas of the business so that we can make sure this does not happen again.
As you said we are a very busy wedding venue and I am sorry the wedding asked you to leave the area.
Once again I would like to thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
hertfordshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed overnight for a wedding and really the only good thing about the stay was the wedding itself!
The service was very very poor, although enthusiastic in parts, the room (in the annex) was terrible and really dark and dingy, the bed linen seemed damp and there was no one to contact about it. The breakfast, eggs Benedict, was awful a couple of rock hard eggs swimming in a bright yellow and white sauce that was meant to be hollandaise but certainly wasn't (or had it split? ) surely a chef would have noticed! Anyway by this time we had had enough and left, never to return and My suggestion is you give it a miss!

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank rex r
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Rothley Court, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at Rothley but are glad that the wedding went well.
I have spoken to house keeping and my head chef and asked them to look into your comments so as they do not happen again.
Due to the nature of a very old grade 1 listed building our rooms do vary hugely in size.
I do hope you may consider returning again in the future to try the real Rothley
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Firstly I work in a local hotel myself so coming from a catering/ hospitality background I have very high standards. Saying that our day was beautiful despite a snags on the day. The staff were very friendly and professional. Our wedding co-ordinator was not there on the day and unfortuanlty I was not told the gentleman's name who ran my wedding. The only thing I can say as coming from a hospitality background and have run plenty of my own weddings, an email from the hotel checking how the wedding had gone would have been nice.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Missreviewer2014
Thank you for taking the time to review Rothley Court and we are glad that your wedding went so well.
I have made a note of your comment and in the future we will look into contacting Brides after their day, to make sure all went well.
we hope you will return soon.
Hereford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I too ate and stayed on the 17 th the night of the wedding. I must say it was nice to see people around enjoying themselves and it did fill the place up. I didn't,t suffer any poor service , quite the opposite . I could see the staff were busy for mid week evening but they did attend to me well. The food was better than I was expecting and ended up having three lovely courses. Good room but I did suffer from the hand dryer going off in the toilets underneath my room every two minutes. I will be back here it was a good place for a lone business traveller but also can see it being a great weekend break for couples too.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Chairman1010
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Rothley Court, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
hank you for your kind comments I'm very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay here with us on the 17th. We do pride ourselves in delivering excellent service every time to all of our guest and do thank you for your review.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
West Yorks
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

We had high hopes for this beautifully situated hotel where we were taking my Aunt to for a treat. We said in the booking that stairs might be a problem and we were contacted and advised that there wasn't a lift and the rooms we had booked were 2 flights up. We were also informed that there was a wedding on and the rooms may be a little noisy as they had a disco . We accepted moving to the courtyard block.

The main problem was the noise from the banging doors and the fact that our door was ill fitting so we had a constant series of bangs up to 1am in the morning and then it started again at 6 am. I know the hotel cant stop people moving about but the walls are paper thin (we could hear everything the people on the second night of our stay said plus the snoring and coughing ) and the doors need soft closers and the ill fitting ones mending .
The two weddings which were on whilst we stayed our two nights mix with guests so there are times you can t get down corridors as they are all stood there and you cant get food. I am sure they didn't appreciate strangers around either. It really needs to decide what kind of a venue it is as the two don't mix.

Having said that the staff are lovely and very helpful The food was also nice. As we had been moved to cheaper rooms we were offered a lower tariff.. However there was little point complaining about our issues as the house couldn't accommodate us due to stairs and disco and the courtyard was noisy anyway. It also needs a refurb as its starting to look worn and sad. things like the bathroom fan weren't working and we told the maid but it wasnt fixed.

I am sure it is great for weddings but not for travellers looking for a nice stay away so overall we were rather disappointed.

Room Tip: Unfortunately I think rooms in the courtyard are noisy and if there is a wedding with a disco so is...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Rothley Court, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay here with us, I'm pleased to hear you found our team friendly and helpful. we try to advise all of our guest staying in the hotel if a wedding will be taking place during there stay, we have taken on board your comments about the noisy doors and will be speaking to our maintenance team to make the doors close so they do not slam. We do also offer a full restaurant service for our guests which is away from the main bar and gardens that can get busy at times. I hope we will see you again in the future.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed here for a night to attend a wedding nearby. There was a wedding taking place at the hotel, and although we requested a room away from the main proceedings, and we returned very late, it was still very noisy until about 1am, with people starting up cars and staff calling to each other as they cleared up.
The hotel is in an interesting building, but the furnishings are bit tired. In our room the windows wouldn't stay open (we had to prop them open with shoes, magazines etc; and there was no a/c) and the wardrobe door wouldn't stay shut. The bathroom was adequate, and the bed surprisingly comfortable. The breakfast was fine and the staff were all charming.
It was very expensive for what it was. I imagine the prices drop outside the wedding season, when it would also be quieter. That might be the time to visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the function rooms if there's a wedding going on.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Londoner77
Hi Chris,

Response to tripadvisor "one night stay"

Thank you for your comments, I'm sorry to hear that you did not thoroughly enjoy your stay here with us we do try our best to separate none wedding guest from the main building as it can get noise some times this is not always possible due to availability of the room. we have spoken to the team and asked them to be more courteous of guest sleeping up stairs when cleaning up. Once again thank you for your comments and we do hope you stay again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Well, to start with I worked in local hotel near to wear we picked rothley hotel as our venue, so I have very high standards having worked in hospitality for years. I can honestly say my husband and I had the most perfect wedding, the staff friendly and approachable, most of all Kate, who helped us the night before and was serving us throughout the day, a real gem and nothing was a problem, she made me feel very relaxed. Our original wedding planner was not present which I was initially a little miffed about but Steve who took the job on the day was perfect. Everybody was. Our food was incredible, everyone received everything they wanted and that had ordered and the chapel was an ore inspiring venue, a few of our guests being religious found this a wonderful touch to a wedding that ultimately was a non religious ceremony. The hog roast in the evening was particularly good as well. We also had a falconry display as our entertainment which was happily allowed and was a great attraction for all my guests and everyone else visiting the venue that day, a big thank you for allowing this to happen in the grounds.
Fair to say 3 weeks later, all of our guests and family members are still raving about how you all made it such an amazing day for every one.
I can't thank you enough.
High recommendation and extremely professional.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kate S
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Rothley Court, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for your kind review and we are glad that your special day went so well.
I have passed on all your comments to the staff and we do hope you and your husband will visit us again in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothley
Quorn Grange Hotel
#19 of 41 in Leicester
The Link Hotel
The Link Hotel
#2 of 12 in Loughborough

Been to Rothley Court? Share your experiences!