“complete and utter dissapointment, hotel from hell, please read before booking”
Review of Dalhousie Castle

Dalhousie Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bonnyrigg
leeds
Reviewed 9 June 2011

I stayed at Dalhousie back in feb for four days over valentines, my boyfriend had booked it for us and paid well in excess of £600 just for the room, we also had use of the spa and ate in the orangery.
for a start the driveway up to the castle is disgusting and littered with potholes, the sign for the castle was mostly concealed under weeds and bushes and looked like it hadn't been updated since the 60's, the building in itself is beautiful but they take advantage of this fact and charge ridiculously for what you actually get. we checked in but were not shown to our room as we should of been, we were told "its up the stairs and round the corner" by a receptionist who had already turned his back and walked away, in reality the stairs were at the other side of the castle and we had the go up three flights and down numerous corridors before we finally found our room. we stayed in the Robert the Bruce room which boasted of being "the ultimate luxury" far from it! it was dark and dank and pretty much all the furniture was falling to pieces, deep scratches were etched into most of the wood and the fabric was falling off the sofa. as for the bed, this had to be the worst bed I have ever slept on, it is so old and tatty that the bottom part is higher up so that when you lay down your feet are higher than your head! which is horribly uncomfortable! it is rock hard and the mattress is full of lumps and bumps, and so much for being "an authentic four poster bed" I realised what I was sleeping on one evening when I dropped my mascara and it rolled under the bed, the bottom base was a divan and balanced on top of that is another divan! followed by possibly the thinnest mattress I have ever seen, I couldn’t believe the sheer cheek of it! of course this is all heavily concealed by rotten sheets. we were paying £250 a night the stay on a makeshift bed! there were also thick cobwebs hanging from the bed canopy that were well within reach of a duster, also god knows were the spider was, i can only hope it didnt end up in the bed with us! the sheets were stained and scratchy and the towels were disgusting, the lighting in the room was far too dim and I could barely see in the mirror to put my make up on. all in all this was a room from hell and it made me horribly mad that they were taking our money for it! I seriously don’t understand how this place can brag of a 4 or 5 * rating when I have stayed in holiday inns that have been far more comfortable.

on a nicer note the food in the orangery was superb and there was one waitress in particular who was lovely to us each morning at breakfast, I don’t recall her name but she was probably mid 40's, with blonde hair and a beautiful Scottish accent, unlike the polish staff everywhere else in the building!

the spa is also nice but the the staff are not very attentive, my boyfriend had arranged a mud treatment for us and the girl lead us to the room were another couple were already sat, shooed them out and then made us sit in the previous couples leftover mud, she then told us she would be back in 20 mins to tell us the wash our mud off, she did not return so my boyfriend opened the door to check the time, 40 mins had gone by and our skin was starting to burn, also after this treatment we could not get back in the Jacuzzi pool as they had turned the water pumps off, we had paid for an experience that we weren’t being allowed to use.

I have never felt so ripped off in my life, all in all the place was filthy and seriously lacking in pride, they clearly think they can rip people off and get away with it thanks to a decade old 5* rating, and that is shocking, and what made matters worse is that we then went on the stay in a three star hotel in Edinburgh city centre that was everything I could of hoped for, and at £80 a night! spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated. so it just goes to show, a fancy name and fancy prices doesn’t give you a fancy experience...

Seriously, don’t waste your money in this hell hole

I would also just like to add that I am 19 years old, so if a teenager can find faults like this, I am pretty sure any high flying guest could too.

Room Tip: forget the rooms, stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank flisshart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed 8 June 2011

We got the "Mary Queen of Scotts" suite and it was awsome. Good service (24h/24h), good restaurant. The suite was super clean included the beautiful spa.

Room Tip: For weeding, honeymoon and green vacations
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2011

I stayed overnight at Dalhousie Castle in January this year- a surprise birthday present from my fiancé. This is the most beautiful retreat for anyone who loves traditional Scottish food, a luxurious Spa (complete with its very own Hydro Pool and tropical rainforest shower amongst other facilities), huge four poster beds and welcoming staff who are available to answer the many questions about the Castles history.
On arrival we watched a beautiful wedding which was being held in the Castle chapel- we then spent hours in the Spa enjoying the Hydro Pool, steam room then a massage. We then relaxed in the conservatory, had some champagne and enjoyed the peace and and tranquillity, whilst snuggling into the complementary white, fluffy robes.
In the evening we had a drink in the library bar, enjoyed a 5 course meal in the dungeon restaurant then went around exploring the many rooms which are drenched in history. This is the very first home of 'the grey lady' who is apparently often seen wandering the halls by guests who stay here. After a few bottles of pink champagne my partner and I went on a hunt to find this well known spirit though (thankfully) we never tracked her down. Instead, we were fascinated by the variety of portraits, animal heads and evidence of the wealth and royalty who once lived in this fine castle. In the morning, after a beautiful hot and cold buffet breakfast, we went to the bird sanctuary and spent hours just wandering around the beautiful grounds, acres of land which is home to a variety of wildlife. This is an expensive treat but well worth every penny and ideal for couples, girlie weekend or a special surprise for mum.

Room Tip: Check out the rooms on-line to get best deals.
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed 2 June 2011

We had so much fun at this Castle! It has retained much of it's mideval atmosphere so it is a real treat to stay in. The castle is filled with delightful antiques and the bedrooms are equipped with canopy beds. The staff were top rate without being pretentious. We greatly enjoyed our meal in the dining room. Again, the staff added to our enjoyment. They were attentive and very friendly. Following dinner we wandered around the grounds. Simply a beautiful and delightful experience. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Tyneside
Reviewed 31 May 2011

My Wife and I + another couple stayed at the Dalhousie Castle for 2 Nights with the full DB&B Package.
The Hotel decor remained true to its Castle Origins, however, quite a few areas need attention :-
Most of the carpets and some of the furniture are past their best and need replacement. The main front door had a large glass pane missing which was boarded over. The bedroom we had was very dark and the bathroom had some spotlights that were not working - making it impossible for my wife to apply her make-up in front of the mirror and although I reported this the fault was not rectified.
The Library Bar is nice and quirky, however the standard "wine by the glass" measure of 125ml at a cost of £5 upwards seems a bit steep, surely they could offer 175 ml measures.
On the plus side, the Dungeon Restaurant is excellent, good atmosphere and very good food. Also, the staff are very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Check out choice of rooms, some old, some modern
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2011

I have to echo other comments
Lovely surroundings and the dungeon really nice meal.

For the bit inconsiderable price;
-Yes the wifi should be free and actually available in more rooms
-the rooms need a bit of money spent on them.ok so there's the whole old castle idea but that doesn't mean any cheap old bits of worn down furniture will do.bathroom fittings and finish were just poor.
-service; we were part of a wedding.I know they must do this every week but it was as if it were the first. Slow and disinterested.
-general creaks and padding around I'm sure part of the 'character'.bring earplugs.
-phoning reception; very variable.some helpful staff others young and not
Asked reception for a screen (to put round out daughters camp-bed).two
separate staff couldn't help though were nice about it.if you pay £225 a
night though I actually expect someone to go and find one even borrow one.
Ironically had to move such a screen to sit and have our breakfast.if you know your hotel this sort of thing should be easily sorted
Certainly recommend the dungeon for a meal but spend your money elsewhere

• Stayed May 2011
San Diego, California
Reviewed 17 May 2011

its close enough to small town and few miles away from Edinburgh. its a beautiful place rooms are well decorated. however the bed was too hard and uncomfortable to sleep. otherwise the place is perfect for a relaxing or romantic trip.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonnyrigg
Melville Castle
Prestonfield
#4 of 148 in Edinburgh
Broughton & Calton
Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace

Been to Dalhousie Castle? Share your experiences!