“Fantastic staff, disappointing decor in room”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Dalhousie Castle

Dalhousie Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bonnyrigg
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Fantastic staff, disappointing decor in room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

My husband and I wanted to book a special stay in a luxurious hotel for my husbands parents 40th anniversary and Dalhousie Castle Hotel seemed to fit the bill. We were unable to book the room that we really fancied but ended up booking the Dalhousie room on the advice of the hotel. The room was in the tower of the castle and had the potential to be very impressive but unfortunately the cream carpet was covered in stains. Surely with the prices of rooms per night, a few well placed rugs would be prudent? This large room was fairly sparsely populated with furniture. We just felt that more could have been made of this potentially amazing castle room.
Having said all this, the hotel brought up a couple of glasses of champagne to the in laws at midnight which was a really lovely touch and all the staff were a real credit to the hotel. Despite the carpet stains, the in laws were delighted with their visit although my husband and I would not probably book that room again

Room Tip: Don't book the dalhousie room
1 Thank Jessie187054

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2011

Hotel location and views stunning, exterior incredible, especially at night but that's where it ends. The room I was given was like a dungeon. Down endless flights of stairs, dull, dark, and poorly furnished. No natural light, incredibly hot and stuffy with no phone signal or Internet connection. Reception staff were sullen and unhelpful. The dining experience was something Basil Fawlty would of been proud of. I ordered a starter with which I fancied a glass of locally produced beer and then a steak for main course with a glass of Roija. The Dining area referred to as the Orangery was very quite but I waited over 30 minutes before any food arrived. Then when it did arrive the starter along with the beer, the main course and the Roija all turned up together. The starter was astronomically over priced for what I was given, the main course was woefully small and the wine was served in a glad that was so jot you couldn't hold it. I complained that the red wine was hot so I was given a bowl of ice and a teaspoon to scoop the ice into my hot wine !!! I then made the error of asking the waiter who spoke very little English for a steak knife. He argued with me that I already had a knife and walked off tutting and shaking his head at my apparent greed of wanting another knife. Stay here for the scenery bur order food at your own risk.

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank Millwright28
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

We stayed at Dalhoustie from 11th June to 13th June when I took my partner there for his birthday. The room we were given - no. 27 was down inthe basement and to be quite honest the only thing yu could see out of the window was a mound of grass what was the slope from ground level to our window. The service was OK altho not 4 star rating. The meal in the Dungeon was very good altho the alcohol was very pricey.
On the Sunday night after a day in Edinburgh we decided to retire to bed at 22.00. That was a mistake. There was a wedding taking place and the band was so loud we could not get to sleep until it stopped at midnight. When i compleined on paying the bill i was told it was a wedding. i infromed them I paid for a room to which I could sleep I was given a shrug by the receptionist. I will not be returning

Room Tip: Do not accept the dungeon rooms
2 Thank 186534Jacqui
Jersey, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2011

We recently stayed in the Dalhousie Castle and have never been so disappointed to the point where we cancelled our second night. As we approached a very unkept drive with handwritten signs we knew this was not a good sign. Everything about the place was tacky and unkept. There were beer cans in the drive together with numerous cigarette butts (my husband counted 50). Upon arrival there was complete chaos with noone being able to find the man to sort out luggage. We stayed in the Cromwell room which was dark and miserable. We ate in the organery that evening and the food was just ghastly, the resaurant completely without atmosphere and the food had clearly been kept warm with a skin on it by the time it arrived. There is a lot of plastic type wood flooring with absolute no charm or character whatsoever lightbulbs missing, dirty tables, glasses not cleared away promptly. As for the breakfast the next morning well we could not wait to get out of there quick enough. Way over priced for the standard they offer.

Room Tip: Don't go there
4 Thank Harvieboy
leeds
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2011

I stayed at Dalhousie back in feb for four days over valentines, my boyfriend had booked it for us and paid well in excess of £600 just for the room, we also had use of the spa and ate in the orangery.
for a start the driveway up to the castle is disgusting and littered with potholes, the sign for the castle was mostly concealed under weeds and bushes and looked like it hadn't been updated since the 60's, the building in itself is beautiful but they take advantage of this fact and charge ridiculously for what you actually get. we checked in but were not shown to our room as we should of been, we were told "its up the stairs and round the corner" by a receptionist who had already turned his back and walked away, in reality the stairs were at the other side of the castle and we had the go up three flights and down numerous corridors before we finally found our room. we stayed in the Robert the Bruce room which boasted of being "the ultimate luxury" far from it! it was dark and dank and pretty much all the furniture was falling to pieces, deep scratches were etched into most of the wood and the fabric was falling off the sofa. as for the bed, this had to be the worst bed I have ever slept on, it is so old and tatty that the bottom part is higher up so that when you lay down your feet are higher than your head! which is horribly uncomfortable! it is rock hard and the mattress is full of lumps and bumps, and so much for being "an authentic four poster bed" I realised what I was sleeping on one evening when I dropped my mascara and it rolled under the bed, the bottom base was a divan and balanced on top of that is another divan! followed by possibly the thinnest mattress I have ever seen, I couldn’t believe the sheer cheek of it! of course this is all heavily concealed by rotten sheets. we were paying £250 a night the stay on a makeshift bed! there were also thick cobwebs hanging from the bed canopy that were well within reach of a duster, also god knows were the spider was, i can only hope it didnt end up in the bed with us! the sheets were stained and scratchy and the towels were disgusting, the lighting in the room was far too dim and I could barely see in the mirror to put my make up on. all in all this was a room from hell and it made me horribly mad that they were taking our money for it! I seriously don’t understand how this place can brag of a 4 or 5 * rating when I have stayed in holiday inns that have been far more comfortable.

on a nicer note the food in the orangery was superb and there was one waitress in particular who was lovely to us each morning at breakfast, I don’t recall her name but she was probably mid 40's, with blonde hair and a beautiful Scottish accent, unlike the polish staff everywhere else in the building!

the spa is also nice but the the staff are not very attentive, my boyfriend had arranged a mud treatment for us and the girl lead us to the room were another couple were already sat, shooed them out and then made us sit in the previous couples leftover mud, she then told us she would be back in 20 mins to tell us the wash our mud off, she did not return so my boyfriend opened the door to check the time, 40 mins had gone by and our skin was starting to burn, also after this treatment we could not get back in the Jacuzzi pool as they had turned the water pumps off, we had paid for an experience that we weren’t being allowed to use.

I have never felt so ripped off in my life, all in all the place was filthy and seriously lacking in pride, they clearly think they can rip people off and get away with it thanks to a decade old 5* rating, and that is shocking, and what made matters worse is that we then went on the stay in a three star hotel in Edinburgh city centre that was everything I could of hoped for, and at £80 a night! spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated. so it just goes to show, a fancy name and fancy prices doesn’t give you a fancy experience...

Seriously, don’t waste your money in this hell hole

I would also just like to add that I am 19 years old, so if a teenager can find faults like this, I am pretty sure any high flying guest could too.

Room Tip: forget the rooms, stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank flisshart
Malmo, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2011

We got the "Mary Queen of Scotts" suite and it was awsome. Good service (24h/24h), good restaurant. The suite was super clean included the beautiful spa.

Room Tip: For weeding, honeymoon and green vacations
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

I stayed overnight at Dalhousie Castle in January this year- a surprise birthday present from my fiancé. This is the most beautiful retreat for anyone who loves traditional Scottish food, a luxurious Spa (complete with its very own Hydro Pool and tropical rainforest shower amongst other facilities), huge four poster beds and welcoming staff who are available to answer the many questions about the Castles history.
On arrival we watched a beautiful wedding which was being held in the Castle chapel- we then spent hours in the Spa enjoying the Hydro Pool, steam room then a massage. We then relaxed in the conservatory, had some champagne and enjoyed the peace and and tranquillity, whilst snuggling into the complementary white, fluffy robes.
In the evening we had a drink in the library bar, enjoyed a 5 course meal in the dungeon restaurant then went around exploring the many rooms which are drenched in history. This is the very first home of 'the grey lady' who is apparently often seen wandering the halls by guests who stay here. After a few bottles of pink champagne my partner and I went on a hunt to find this well known spirit though (thankfully) we never tracked her down. Instead, we were fascinated by the variety of portraits, animal heads and evidence of the wealth and royalty who once lived in this fine castle. In the morning, after a beautiful hot and cold buffet breakfast, we went to the bird sanctuary and spent hours just wandering around the beautiful grounds, acres of land which is home to a variety of wildlife. This is an expensive treat but well worth every penny and ideal for couples, girlie weekend or a special surprise for mum.

Room Tip: Check out the rooms on-line to get best deals.
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonnyrigg
Melville Castle
The Chester Residence
The Chester Residence
#1 of 150 in Edinburgh
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,767 reviews

Been to Dalhousie Castle? Share your experiences!