“Afternoon tea experience was a big disappointment!!”
Review of Dalhousie Castle

Dalhousie Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bonnyrigg
East Lothian
“Afternoon tea experience was a big disappointment!!”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We got a voucher from my son for afternoon tea for two as a Christmas present so not sure how much it cost. Whatever it was is definitely too much. We were served in the Orangery. Coffee was stewed. Tea was OK. Sandwiches very limited. White bread and too much mayonnaise!! I couldn't eat them. Scones were poor quality. Pancakes nice but tiny. Cakes tiny, dull and poor quality. Don't go, but the Falconry is interesting in the grounds!

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank j7jpc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Tickhill
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We got married at Dalhousie Castle on 2 February 2012 and it was the most perfect day. I'd seen the castle years ago in a hotel brochure and thought it looked stunning. We booked our wedding there without seeing any other venues, including this one - although we did eventually visit to sort out the arrangements.
The castle hosted the most amazing day for us. From the moment we arrived 2 days before the wedding the staff were friendly, attentive and looked after our every need. They updgraded most of the main wedding party and made sure everyone was looked after.
The wedding itself was perfectly organised. Michael, the master of ceremonies was lovely and Gareth, the piper, was amazing - although the bagpipes did make everone cry!
The food at the wedding breakfast was delicious, as it was at breakfast each morning. The bedrooms were also fantastic and we loved the honeymoon suite with the original castle well!
Everyone the castle recommended such as the hairdresser and band were also excellent.
Peter the night porter was a fabulous host and his passion for the castle was wonderful - he told everyone the history and gave some of our wedding party a late night ghost tour. All the staff made it such good fun.
The girls from the spa did my make-up and like everyone, made me feel really at ease and went out of their way to make sure everything was perfect.
The event team were a pleasure to deal with - nothing was too much trouble for them (despite my millions of emails!), they just sorted everything out.
I can't recommend Dalhousie enough. We look forward to returning for our wedding anniversary next year.

Room Tip: William 1 is an amazing room!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Louise P
Prince George, Canada
Reviewed 28 February 2012

when my husband and I arrived at the castle we were immediately met by the wonderful front staff. We could not have been treated any better than we were. All the staff was most accommodating with their time and expertise. The rooms were exactly what I expected from a castle. The falconry was great and the walks around the castle area were short and good. I would recommend this wonderful place to anyone who doesn't need a theme park to be entertained.

Room Tip: we stayed in all three types of rooms. Theme room, standard room and the Lodge. We loved the theme...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mickey448
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We booked a late weekend away at the Castle and paid £260.00 for a castle themed room and Dinner for 2 in the Dungeon restaurant.

On arrival, someone took our bags and showed us to, and checked over our room. We stayed in the Louis XIV room which was much bigger than I expected. It had a little corridor and steps down into the main room and opened up into a bedroom, adjoining lounge area with TV and had a huge bathroom. I was very pleasantly surprised. The bath was huge and we had "his and hers" sinks.

We went down to the Library bar before dinner and enjoyed some
Homemade crisps and olives and a glass of wine. I ordered lobster roulade for starter, monkfish with chorizo and squid ink risotto for main and had poached pear for pudding. We also had 2 mid courses compliments of the chef, one of which was a mini tirimasu in a little teacup. The food was stunning and really had the wow factor. I thought it was excellent value costing £120.00 including wine - as I have paid this sort of money elsewhere on other occasions and not had anything as nice as this. Presentation was amazing ! I would
go as far as saying that it's the nicest meal I have ever had- I just didn't want to come home !

Breakfast in the Orangery was lovely - I had smoked salmon and scrambled egg. My partner also had smoked salmon although he doesn't like egg and the staff were very accommodating offering alternatives to go with his breakfast.

We also visited the spa briefly. It isn't very big but is lovely and relaxing.

I really hope to go back to Dalhousie Castle in the future, and would highly recommend to anyone. It is worth a visit for the food and service alone.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank S4ryhcarr
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

The rooms looked good on here, and we really fancied a night at a castle, well . . . we thoroughly enjoyed our night. We got a themed room deal on hotels.com for £99 via Trip Adviser, although learned from a couple of other guests they got a better deal (but that's just the roll of the dice). We decided to treat ourselves to the £45 3 course dinner as it was Andy's birthday, and we weren't disappointed!! It was so delicious and well presented, and some added aspects compliments of the chef, that I even took note of his name (which isn't something you do every day is it!). Everything had so much flavour, was the type of meal you crave when really in the mood for something special. We sat in the library before the meal, and you couldn't help but study the ceiling and the detail of the bookcases and just wonder of lives past. We didn't visit the Spa, but we did go to the Falconry before leaving, and although the ladies were just getting set up, they were so friendly and I was just totally amazed at the raven called Jake - brilliant!
So, yes - definitely recommend it for the experience - oh, and I slept like a baby :)

Room Tip: Go for a themed double. Queen Victoria room doesn't have a 4-poster (if you don't like a clo...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Caroline W
Kirkby Lonsdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Dalhouise Castle is a small, but perfectly formed castle around 20 minutes south of Edinburgh. I enjoyed a 2 night stay here in January, a suprise 30th birthday present from my partner.

The castle is set in approximately 20-30 acres of grounds and woodland, on the edge of the river Esk. There are several very pleasant walks to take around the estate, not to mention the opportunity to take part in a falconry experience at the mews in the grounds.

The interior of the castle is best described as 'shabby chic', if its a boutique hotel experience you are looking for then this probably isn't the place, but it is very comfortable with a lot of character. The library where guests assemble for pre-dinner drinks is very 'Downton Abbey' with its book lined walls, large leather sofas and huge roaring fire. We had a late lunch in here a couple of times overlooking the lawns and river.

We stayed in the 'William Wallace' room at the very top of the castle - the only room with access to the roof & battlements. Our room was very spacious, with a selection of antique furniture and an enormous four poster bed. The room had a very cosy/romantic feel at night when the table & wall lights were lit. The bathroom was a bit shabby and ready for a bit of TLC but it wasn't a major issue.

Dining in the dungeon restaurant is a must, the food was excellent and if I'm honest I was quite suprised by just how good it was. I had foie gras to start and lamb for main both of which I would recommend.

The spa was small but very pleasant (and quiet), I had a massage which was very relaxing and we spent several hours dosing in the conservatory in our robe & slippers!

The staff were very friendly and accomodating, and genuinely seemed to take an interest in us and took the time to chat.

In summary I would definitely recommend this hotel but as I said earlier, this is a very old place and if you're after a 'Gleneagles' style break then this isn't the place. But if you want a very comfortable and relaxing break surrounded by history then is for you.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Taittinger21
Scotland
Reviewed 12 February 2012

This castle is stunning ... The grounds are beautiful the chapel is perfect, the dungeon is amazing, the library is fabulous - our room was nice it had been refurbished at some point a modern old style the bathroom was very modern but the tv in the bath did not work. Disappointing. The spa and the partitions made it feel like a travel lodge and did not do the castle justice ... However the staff we met were all so helpful, the food was lovely and my husband had a 1 hour massage & thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonnyrigg
Melville Castle
Prestonfield
#3 of 149 in Edinburgh
Cringletie House
#2 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Dalhousie Castle? Share your experiences!