“shocking”
Review of Dalhousie Castle

Dalhousie Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bonnyrigg
Reviewed 28 June 2012

we stayed in henryVII room was just ok nothing special furniture was all well worn,dirty bath and tiles in the bathroom plus the tv in the bathroom didnt work reception said they would send someone up asap no one came near breakfast cost £7.00 to be braught to the room which was a pure joke we got i very small link sausage,2 slice of bacon,1 potato scone which wasnt even fryed and a half of a slice of black pudding and a glass of orange juice which was warm i would give my children more shocking!!!! would never come back here why people would pay the prices here for what you get back is not real the only nice thing about this is the outside view which is lovely needs upgraded inside

Room Tip: dont come here you will regret it
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Caroline M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,458)

Reviewed 25 June 2012

We were so excited driving up to this impressive castle only to be let down by a sad and disappointing room desperately in need of repair. Carpets were worn down to the floorboards, furniture was chipped and faded. Dinner in the dungeon was superb, dinner in the orangery was terrible. The staff try hard but overall not worth the money.

Room Tip: Try another castle.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jacksons
Reviewed 22 June 2012

My fiance and I stayed here earlier this year as we tried to tie in a family visit back up to Scotland with some wedding showrounds.

I have been in the hospitality industry for 12 years now and have always assumed that Dalhousie would be a location much like it is portrayed on all websites; exclusive, luxury, relaxing, and more importantly somewhere my fiance and I would want to get married.

I may have worked in some of the best Hotels in the UK but this does not mean I earn the money to stay in these places often. We are saving up a lot of money for our big day and we want it to be right so we know that it would mean staying in these places before hand to ensure we get the real picture. All I can say is im very glad we did this forward planning regarding this hotel!!

I wont go into all details on the site, I think the score says it all. I wrote an email to the General Manager explaining my disbelief in a number of areas such as very poor service, lack of knowledge from the team, a rude response from the kitchen regarding feedback from our meal etc all for the price of £450 on a sunday stayover!! We didnt by any means go there not to spend, we enjoyed champagne and dinner and spa treatments but a week later we stayed at gleneagles and did the exact same for JUST £20 more!!!

Needless to say my response back was very lame. I was told the story of how the Hotel is going through a transition period and my issues were noted. In my view this was very disappointing. If I ended up working here in my career I would not hang around so I would not expect guests enjoy an experience there.

All in all a very poor stay and the only reason the rating is not a 1 out of 5 is because some of the staff were honest enough to tell me that things were worse behind the scenes which I quite believe.

I feel if you deal with complaints poorly then people write reviews as they are unsatisfied with their response.

Perhaps deal with issues in a more personable manner is my advice.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank zeemax
Reviewed 12 June 2012

enjoyed my daughter,s wedding ceremony and reception at the dalhousie and could,nt have asked for a nicer location . set in beautiful grounds its a stunning and very historic building. all staff are very attentive and helpful and nothing was any trouble which made for a very enjoyable day. the decor and furniture are all period which makes for very elegant surroundings. our meal which was served in the dungeon restuarant was first class all in all a very enjoyable day.several off our party stayed overnight , the rooms are stunning and the last word in luxury complete with complimentary slippers and dressing gowns

Room Tip: all rooms are first class
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Went there for a relatives wedding and could not find a single thing negative about anything. The room was breathtaking, the castle wonderous, the food top drawer, the service spot-on, the Piper and Recpetion staff genuinely polite and courteous. Well Done and Thank You!!

Room Tip: Got to be the 4-poster in the turret!!!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Spent Christmas at Dalhousie, was wonderful.
Food was excellent, the castle has so much history and character, and falconry and archery on site. Was a christmas away with a 10 year old, she loved it, made friends and loved the idea of dressing up.
It was not a case of having to be dressed for each meal, just if you wanted to, relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
Was a wonderful little get away. One thing that got us, unlike the castles in England, it was not big and not obvious from the road, quite little get away. Just what the doctor ordered.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank cutey_11
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Internally the hotel is looking very shabby. The room rate is the same as Prestonfield House hotel nearby and the experience could not have been more different. We were given a bedroom that clearly doubled as a meeting room with a sofabed and with a door that had been forced with a crowbar. We know where we will be choosing next time.
On the other hand the setting is stunning and a little investment would enhance the experience for all.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Caroline C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonnyrigg
Melville Castle
Salisbury Green Hotel
Salisbury Green Hotel
#120 of 151 in Edinburgh
Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Musselburgh) Hotel

Been to Dalhousie Castle? Share your experiences!