We recently visited the Orangery restaurant within Dalhousie Castle with some friends. We have recently got married in the Castle and looked forward to a lovely evening.
As we knew the castle setting and decor was amazing,
The food was a good standard and we all enjoyed our meal however given the pricey menu and level of hotel we would say that the standard of service received was very poor indeed.
Our waiter for the evening certainly tried his best to serve us, however his english certainly was not nearly good enough and he had difficulty in understanding simple orders.
One of our starters (mushrooms on Brioche) was incomplete (no Brioche) after we had given a simple request for it to be served only without butter. After we highlighted the issue we had to wait for some considerable time before the complete dish arrived by which time all three other diners had finished their starters.
A simple request for a small piece of shortbread to allow one of our friends from USA to try was not apparently possible to be accommodated.
In addition the level of dress and general appearance of the waiting staff was very poor and certainly not the standard you expect from such a prestigious location.
Having said all this we did all enjoy the experience and with some simple training and thought to the level of service offered a more positive review could be given.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel and Aqueous Spa is a magnificent 13th century fortress set within acres of wooded parkland on the picturesque banks of the River Esk. From the moment you arrive at Dalhousie Castle a warm Scottish welcome awaits. Whether relaxing in the the Spa, gathering in the library next to the open fire, dining in the vaulted 2 Rosette winning dungeon restaurant, or retiring to your chambers, you will always feel as welcome as the 'Laird'. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Dalhousie Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dalhousie Castle Bonnyrigg, Scotland
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel Bonnyrigg
- Castle Dalhousie