“wonderful setting”
Review of Dalhousie Castle

Dalhousie Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bonnyrigg
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We loved the grounds, which are wonderful to get out too, and walk around. We walked to the folly and had a bottle of bubbly in the very atmospheric setting. It 's a fab place for taking photos. We found the staff very nice, and the breakfast very tasty, and filling. I can't wait to stay again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Dalhousie Castle

Reviewed 27 August 2013

This castle is now a hotel & restaurant & event venue! It is from 13th century! So beautiful! We had dinner here. Our dining room had a very period look and also a cozyness! Wait staff were awesome! Meal was awesome! Our menu gave us choices! I chose Cream of Leek Soup as my starter- loved it! Had Fillet of Scottish Beef with a Whisky sauce, Parsley & Purple Garlic Puree with Pearl Barley as Main Course. So Good! I chose Scottish Strawberries, Arlette, Consomme' & Iced Souffle With Balsamic Meringue as dessert! Delicious! Would highly recommend! Would like to come back and stay in hotel- Not very far from Edinburgh!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed 2 nights for a wedding. The wedding was beautiful and on the day the customer service and organisation was fabulous and everyone had a lovely day .
However, when we arrived at the castle I was shocked by our room. I was on my own with 3 children and had been put at the very top of the castle . It was a lot of stairs for children, however I was most disappointed with the state of the room . As we walked in it was so gloomy, the windows were high up giving very little light and creating quite a claustrophobic feel. The carpet had rips in it, the wallpaper and chairs had stains on and it felt very run down. We asked if there was another room available and we were told no. We saw some of the other rooms guests had ( with 4 people too, so they would have been suitable for us too) and they were lovely . I was just confused why we had been given such an awful room. When you are with children you do spend more time in the room so it is always one of my main criteria for a sucessful break.
I very much recommend if you are planning on staying here you see the room first to make sure you get what you expect ... it is misleading if you go by the pictures on the website.
I was so disappointed I personally would not return to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We recently visited the Orangery restaurant within Dalhousie Castle with some friends. We have recently got married in the Castle and looked forward to a lovely evening.

As we knew the castle setting and decor was amazing,

The food was a good standard and we all enjoyed our meal however given the pricey menu and level of hotel we would say that the standard of service received was very poor indeed.

Our waiter for the evening certainly tried his best to serve us, however his english certainly was not nearly good enough and he had difficulty in understanding simple orders.

One of our starters (mushrooms on Brioche) was incomplete (no Brioche) after we had given a simple request for it to be served only without butter. After we highlighted the issue we had to wait for some considerable time before the complete dish arrived by which time all three other diners had finished their starters.

A simple request for a small piece of shortbread to allow one of our friends from USA to try was not apparently possible to be accommodated.

In addition the level of dress and general appearance of the waiting staff was very poor and certainly not the standard you expect from such a prestigious location.

Having said all this we did all enjoy the experience and with some simple training and thought to the level of service offered a more positive review could be given.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 August 2013

This was our first stop for a 10 day tour of Scotland. After a long day and night of travel, it was a hoot to stay in a castle and rest a bit before heading to Edinburgh. We would agree with other traveler's average reviews ~ it is in need of some TLC and the staff was a little overwhelmed with wedding guests checking out from the previous night. (It DOES look like a beautiful place to hold a wedding ~ hence the positive wedding~stay reviews.) Although the Dungeon Restaurant was completely booked, they were kind enough to accommodate us with the same menu in The Orangery.

Room Tip: No elevators.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Julie K
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I had my wedding at the castle on the 7th August 2013. A lot of my family also satyed at the castle.
The castle itself is breathtaking, more than I could have hoped for. The staff were brilliant and ensured my wedding ran smoothly and without any problems. The rooms were brilliant. I had the Queen Victoria for the night before my wedding which had a beautiful large window and high ceilings as well as a grand double brass bed with canopy. perfect. we had the Ramsay Suite for our wedding night and it was amazing. Something we will never forget.
The grounds are beautiful.
The food is superb.
The library bar and other hidden rooms are brilliant and it is like something from a film.
I couldn't say enough just how perfect everything was for us. A wedding with happy memories to last a lifetime.
The piper was also great and made our wedding extra special.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a special room if you can. if not castle doubles higher up in castle are nice too.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ClaireLewis16
Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

Beautiful castle and location, however any experience of Dalhousie is best only from the outside. Our room, at £300 including dinner for a night, was tatty and desperately in need of new carpets, furnishings and paint. Staff are conconspicuous by their absence. The food was good, but options for dining in the area are minimal anyway. The spa was filthy, and a wholly unpleasant experience. For the money, I'd rather have stayed in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank privatepork
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonnyrigg
Melville Castle
#2 of 3 in Dalkeith
Princes Street and Gardens
The Balmoral Hotel
The Balmoral Hotel
#13 of 150 in Edinburgh
Prestonfield
#4 of 150 in Edinburgh

Been to Dalhousie Castle? Share your experiences!