“Beautiful setting, great building, nice grounds, lunch was disappointing”
Review of Dalhousie Castle

Dalhousie Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bonnyrigg
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Beautiful setting, great building, nice grounds, lunch was disappointing”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We discovered this castle by accident and were very pleasantly surprised by its great Scottish baronial character and interior decor. There was a falconry exhibition going on outside, which also impressed us. We had lunch in the orangerie, which was nicely decorated although some of the upholstery seemed a little past its best. Unfortunately this appeared to be some way from the kitchen and was a little short staffed. Our Cullen Skink soup was not authentic, although that's not unusual. I had a simple steamed fish dish, which was pleasant, but my husband ordered the pie of the day which arrived in three small airline-style serving dishes placed on a wooden board, which made it look cheap and was impossible to eat from without ordering a plate. (Hotels take note, people don't generally like this, please serve meals on proper plates) The pie was also very greasy and disappointing. Overall though it was fine for an un-booked Monday lunch. The hotel has great potential as a venue for romantic weekend breaks or as a small wedding venue.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GBTraveller1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Ottawa
Reviewed 2 September 2013

There were three couples traveling in our group. While in Scotland, we decided we wanted to stay one night in a castle but were apprehensive about the value - we had a great experience at Dalhousie Castle. We only wish we had more time to enjoy all the ammenities and the grounds.

As we were unsure of dining availability in the area, we opted for the 'Dinner, Bed & Breakfast' package (195 Pounds) at the hotel. We enjoyed cocktails in the library, had a great meal and entertaining dining in the Dungeon restaurant and afterwards, exploring the various rooms in the castle. The breakfast room had magnificent vistas of the grounds complete with deer, and the food was very good with lots of choices.

We stayed in the 'Lady Catherine' room which was clean, modern, well equipped, an excellent view of the grounds and adequate size.

The grounds with the falconry were very well kept. We enjoyed walking and exploring the expansive lawns and pathways.

Overall a majestic castle experience. It was everything we had hoped for!

Tip: If using a vehicle GPS, input postal code not the address.

Room Tip: Lady Catherine Room had excellent view of the grounds
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Northampton
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We visited the castle in August 2013. First appearances are very appealing, the grounds are nicely tucked away and well kept and the castle stands proudly at the end of the drive.
Staff were pleasant and polite throughout and on arrival in our room I initially thought I had gone through the wrong door, the long corridor stretching out before me leading to a magnificent round turret room that is beautifully adourned and complete with four poster bed and furniture fitting with the age of the room.
We were disappointed with the state of certain elements in the room, such as the carpet. There were many marks and stains, clearly the carpet needs replacing and the same could be said of some of the upholstery in the room.
We ate out in the evening but on returning we enjoyed a couple of drinks in the library bar. This is exactly what is says on the tin, a library which is small and intimate. Don’t expect cocktails or sambucas, but if you enjoy whiskey or wine then you will find something for you. It makes you feel quite grand, enjoying a drambuie in the grand setting.
Breakfast was served in the orangery which has a lovely view across the gardens, although the food selection is not sparse, I also didn’t particularly enjoy breakfast. If you don’t want cooked then you are left with cereal or a few choices of pastries.
Overall, staying in the castle was a nice experience and from afar it was beautiful and a very niche experience. However, the hotel appears to me to sell itself as higher end accommodation, I paid in excess of £120 for the night and I do not feel it was value for money, in that there is some work required on the rooms to update them – my wife wouldn’t even walk around bare foot in our room. The age old adage of ‘could be better’ applies here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I was at a very good friends wedding in August at Dalhousie and safe to say it was possibly the best weddings I have been at!

The staff were very helpful! I would definitely recommend people consider Dalhousie as one of their wedding venues!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We loved the grounds, which are wonderful to get out too, and walk around. We walked to the folly and had a bottle of bubbly in the very atmospheric setting. It 's a fab place for taking photos. We found the staff very nice, and the breakfast very tasty, and filling. I can't wait to stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Amory, Mississippi
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This castle is now a hotel & restaurant & event venue! It is from 13th century! So beautiful! We had dinner here. Our dining room had a very period look and also a cozyness! Wait staff were awesome! Meal was awesome! Our menu gave us choices! I chose Cream of Leek Soup as my starter- loved it! Had Fillet of Scottish Beef with a Whisky sauce, Parsley & Purple Garlic Puree with Pearl Barley as Main Course. So Good! I chose Scottish Strawberries, Arlette, Consomme' & Iced Souffle With Balsamic Meringue as dessert! Delicious! Would highly recommend! Would like to come back and stay in hotel- Not very far from Edinburgh!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thame, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed 2 nights for a wedding. The wedding was beautiful and on the day the customer service and organisation was fabulous and everyone had a lovely day .
However, when we arrived at the castle I was shocked by our room. I was on my own with 3 children and had been put at the very top of the castle . It was a lot of stairs for children, however I was most disappointed with the state of the room . As we walked in it was so gloomy, the windows were high up giving very little light and creating quite a claustrophobic feel. The carpet had rips in it, the wallpaper and chairs had stains on and it felt very run down. We asked if there was another room available and we were told no. We saw some of the other rooms guests had ( with 4 people too, so they would have been suitable for us too) and they were lovely . I was just confused why we had been given such an awful room. When you are with children you do spend more time in the room so it is always one of my main criteria for a sucessful break.
I very much recommend if you are planning on staying here you see the room first to make sure you get what you expect ... it is misleading if you go by the pictures on the website.
I was so disappointed I personally would not return to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonnyrigg
Melville Castle
Prestonfield
#3 of 149 in Edinburgh
Cringletie House
#2 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Dalhousie Castle? Share your experiences!