We discovered this castle by accident and were very pleasantly surprised by its great Scottish baronial character and interior decor. There was a falconry exhibition going on outside, which also impressed us. We had lunch in the orangerie, which was nicely decorated although some of the upholstery seemed a little past its best. Unfortunately this appeared to be some way from the kitchen and was a little short staffed. Our Cullen Skink soup was not authentic, although that's not unusual. I had a simple steamed fish dish, which was pleasant, but my husband ordered the pie of the day which arrived in three small airline-style serving dishes placed on a wooden board, which made it look cheap and was impossible to eat from without ordering a plate. (Hotels take note, people don't generally like this, please serve meals on proper plates) The pie was also very greasy and disappointing. Overall though it was fine for an un-booked Monday lunch. The hotel has great potential as a venue for romantic weekend breaks or as a small wedding venue.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel and Aqueous Spa is a magnificent 13th century fortress set within acres of wooded parkland on the picturesque banks of the River Esk. From the moment you arrive at Dalhousie Castle a warm Scottish welcome awaits. Whether relaxing in the the Spa, gathering in the library next to the open fire, dining in the vaulted 2 Rosette winning dungeon restaurant, or retiring to your chambers, you will always feel as welcome as the 'Laird'. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Dalhousie Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dalhousie Castle Bonnyrigg, Scotland
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel Bonnyrigg
- Castle Dalhousie