“Lovely building”
Review of Dalhousie Castle

Dalhousie Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bonnyrigg
Reviewed 7 March 2014

What a beautiful castle. Lovingly looked after and converted into absolute luxury. Our room was clean, large and came with an amazing shower, fluffy towels, robes and slippers which was lovely. Didn’t use the Spa but did have an incredible 3 course (almost 5 course! They give you lots of unexpected extras between meals) birthday dinner in the Dungeon Restaurant. Very romantic venue and the staff were excellent – nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was outstanding and the Orangery has the most stunning views – highly recommend the potato pancakes! Expensive, but worth it for a special occasion.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DelightedKitty

Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights. Room was nice, very big and an office included although a side board was used as the desk so couldn't get comfy to do work. The curtains didn't close properly so I brought this to the attention of staff on checkout. Breakfast was OK, pretty limited selection for continental breakfast however. The spa was a disappointment, one of the stream rooms didn't work. The hydro pool is OK, if small. Food was good in the evening and glad I got to eat in the dungeon as well as the Orangery restaurant however it's a pity that you can't get sandwiches after 5pm. My biggest gripe was the Internet. It didn't work well at all. It was OK in the lobby but unable to access it in my room or library. This meant completing work very difficult. However, to finish on a high the service was very good. Nice, friendly staff.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank massie_le
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My Fiance and I have just returned from our stay at the Holiday inn just outside the centre of Edinburgh. Our stay excelled most of our expectations. Our suite was the most beautifully & thoughtfully designed room with a lovely view of the front of the castle. The castle itself is full of character with squeaky staircases and antique paintings & furniture filling the corridors. It's cosy & quirky with the choice to try your hand at clay pigeon shooting, archery and even falconry. The breakfast included was lovely and the orangery had gorgeous views of the castle grounds. We opted to have our dinner in the Orangery for convenience. It was more informal setting to the Dungeon it was simple food but was cooked with quality and locally sourced food. The only down sized was that we had to wait for our food and two couples who sat down after us were served first! Every single staff member that we meet were helpful, friendly & attentive. The only downside to the whole experience was the spa. Even though it was included in the price. I was expecting more from such a big castle and the absence of Spa staff, even a receptionist we had to rely on hotel guest who had been the spa before to tell us what was available, where and how to use it!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Claire M
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I read the comments on TA and decided to try this hotel for my wife's 50th birthday surprise travel.

I decided to try even if I read some bad comments about check in and organisation.

Well, I must say it seems to be the case.

I sent two mails to reserve a suite for 2 nights and questionned about the possibility to have a vegetarian meal at the restaurant one night and flowers in the room.

I don't know now if it was the meal or the flowers that was too complicated for them. But what I know is that I didn't get any response to those 2 mails !

So I won't be able to share experiences on this castle, that, by the way, looks fantastic, but the lack of customer care or should I say future customer is very disappointing.

7  Thank spooty
Reviewed 28 February 2014

On reflection, we were actually disappointed with our stay. Having paid what we did for a one night stay, we expected much better. We booked a standard room & it was a decent size (room 26). The bed was really comfortable, however, it was two single mattresses/beds pushed together! The bathroom was a decent size too, but the bath looked quite small. There was a clump of hair hanging out of the plughole in the bath as well - a bit off-putting. The wallpaper in the room was ripped & peeling, which looked to have been caused by the furniture. The curtains didn't close properly & we had to put a chair up against them so they stayed closed. I suppose we could have asked to moved to another room, but having a clean, well-presented room is standard and not something that a hotel should overlook. We spoke to another couple who stayed here at the same time as us, and they had similar complaints about their room.
We used the spa but didn't book treatments. The spa was also a let down. The paint was flaking off of the walls, one of the sauna/steam rooms wasn't working, it was cold & the spa pool wasn't that warm.
Breakfast was average, nothing special. We dined in the Orangery rather than the Dungeon, and we were really glad we did. Our meal was fantastic. The setting of the Dungeon restaurant looks fantastic but there was a funny smell in the restaurant.
The setting of the hotel is beautiful and it isn't far from Edinburgh City Centre. The library bar, staircase and entrance are really impressive. I grew up in Midlothian and drove past the hotel regularly, always wondering what it would it be like to stay in, and this was the main reason I suggested we booked to stay. I am sorry to say that I am disappointed as I'd expected more.
We had a query with our room card; it quoted a completely different rate to what we actually paid, in fact quite a bit less, and nobody could explain this to us when we queried it. Twice. We were told that it was probably a mistake & that they don't have a set room rate!

Room Tip: I suppose you have to book a suite to be able to write a good review. Don't get room 26.
3  Thank Cat000021
Reviewed 27 February 2014

My husband and I have just returned from our honeymoon at Dalhousie Castle & Spa. Our stay excelled all our expectations. Our suite was the most beautifully & thoughtfully designed room I've ever stayed in. The castle itself is full of character with squeaky staircases and antique paintings & furniture filling the corridors. It's cosy & quirky and it's not just the open fire that fill every corner of this hotel with a warm atmosphere. The breakfast included was lovely and the orangery had gorgeous views of the castle grounds. Our dining experience in the Dungeon was amazing, great food and atmosphere. Every single staff member- receptionists, waiting staff & spa staff were helpful, friendly & attentive. The only downside to the whole experience was having to leave! I'm already looking forward to returning. Best hotel experience I have ever had! Thank you!

Reviewed 25 February 2014

This hotel is a hidden gem with outstanding natural beauty both inside the hotel and outside in the large grounds. We stayed in room 4 and couldn't be more impressed. It is up in one of the castle's turrets and is packed full of features that give you a taste of royalty.
The library barman Carlos deserves a mention as he was friendly and helpful at every opportunity and the manageress in the Orangery restaurant was also a lovely lady.
As with any old hotel there is a little superficial work that could be done but it certainly doesn't detract from the experience. I recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking to try something a little different to the usual faceless contemporary establishments. It's a tiny bit pricey but, in my opinion, it's worth it!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonnyrigg
Melville Castle
#2 of 3 in Dalkeith
Princes Street and Gardens
The Balmoral Hotel
The Balmoral Hotel
#14 of 151 in Edinburgh
Prestonfield
#4 of 151 in Edinburgh

Been to Dalhousie Castle? Share your experiences!