We stayed here for a wedding at the weekend and on arrival immediately noticed it had awful decorating for a place that takes in so much money! When we finally got into our room, we wasn't very impressed as our bed was two singles put together with a kingsize duvet, the headboard was some wooden thing attached to the wall, the wallpaper wasn't cut in a straight line, it had jagged edges and was falling off the walls, the window was hard to shut and was all cracked, it had old fashioned discoloured wallpaper and to be honest was no better than a dingy £30 a night bed and breakfast. The food served wasn't of great quality, I had chicken and veg which was just boiled veg and a piece of chicken with haggis inside, which was good but I felt they coulve done more with the potatoes, I also had mushroom soup which was good but tasted more like cream than mushroom, so it got quite sickly, and I had chocolate pan a cotta for desert which was the smallest thing ever but was very good. The drinks were very overpriced and they put wine on the table for the evening do, the same wine which was used for the afternoon meal which had the bride and grooms name on it, which was all paid for, but if you had it at the night do they would put a charge onto your end bill! Also on arrival they ask for a £50 holding fee which apparently doesn't come out of your bank, and gets released when you check out, however this £50 came out of my bank and still hasn't gone back in! Overall the castle is impressive from the outside, and the grounds are nice but I wouldn't bother going inside and especially not for £150 a night. Most of the staff were nice especially Peter who was very helpful, however there was some sour faced ones which I guess you get everywhere these days.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel and Aqueous Spa is a magnificent 13th century fortress set within acres of wooded parkland on the picturesque banks of the River Esk. From the moment you arrive at Dalhousie Castle a warm Scottish welcome awaits. Whether relaxing in the the Spa, gathering in the library next to the open fire, dining in the vaulted 2 Rosette winning dungeon restaurant, or retiring to your chambers, you will always feel as welcome as the 'Laird'. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Priceline, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Dalhousie Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dalhousie Castle Bonnyrigg, Scotland
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel Bonnyrigg
- Castle Dalhousie