“Disappointed ”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bonnyrigg
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Disappointed ”
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

I've wanted to visit Dalhousie for some time after reading many reviews on trip advisor. but was put off by the £300 p/n room rate, so when an itison deal came on for £139 for DBB I took 2 nights. I stayed in the Robert the Bruce themed room the only reason it was themed on the Bruce we believed was a tapestry on the wall bearing his image. If I had paid £300 a night for the room I would've asked for a refund, we were shocked to have 2 single beds pushed together and an old couch that was falling apart (being held up by the bed). We were told the bar was 24hour so again we were astonished when the abrupt bar man who we later found out is called Derek shut up shop and left us sitting there without telling us he was leaving or that we only had to dial 0 to have someone come up and get us a drink. On a plus point the food was absolutely superb and the team in the Orangery were fantastic. Fantastic views as well.

1 Thank JSD80

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Booked the hotel as part of a birthday trip away and we were not disappointed. The castle is steeped in history and provides a real escape from Edinburgh's busy city centre. Our room had a gorgeous high ceiling and a four poster bed with brilliant views of the surrounding grounds. We relaxed in the spa, which although a little smaller than similar hotels, provided to be exceptionally relaxing and a great way to end a busy day of sight-seeing. We visited the Library before dinner which is must, due to it's fake door leading through to a bar and a real quirk of the hotel. Dinner in the dungeon was exceptional, the food was brilliant (although a little on the expensive side) but the atmosphere, quality of food, menu and surroundings were second to none. Breakfast was brilliant in the conservatory and the falconry was interesting to explore the next day. Although there is room for some improvement in parts of the hotel it was a really special venue that I'd been keen to return to for a special occasion!

Also, instead of getting a taxi to the hotel from the centre of Edinburgh it is possible to get a bus to the nearest town and then to walk (15/20 mins) to the hotel, a lovely walk to do on a sunny day, provides a great opportunity to see more of the surrounding area and saves a fair amount!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Morpeth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Obtained this booking by voucher and phoned Hotel to upgrade room
Paid extra £45 over and above voucher price of £139 for 1 nights B & B + eve meal + bottle wine and was told this would be a 4 poster room (room 12)
I can only describe the bed as a big chunky frame made from railway sleepers with a big wooden head board and at the bottom of the bed each leg had an 8" by 8" wooden beam extended upwards about 4 feet from the mattress. Don't get me wrong, the bed was unusual, great and very comfy but was not a 4 poster bed in any way.
When you look on the website you will see most of the lovely rooms but you will not see room 12.
Also, the room was very small with no table to sit at, not even a small table.
There was no soap in the bathroom and 1 tiny shampoo. Not what you expect when booking into a castle Hotel at these prices.
This was a voucher purchase and I have to say that if I were to pay the full price which I believe would be just over £300, I would not be happy. It still worked out at about £200 for us for a night.
Outside the Orangey Restaurant you can sit out and have a drink and enjoy the scenery. There were empty miniature whisky bottles and their boxes thrown on the ground together with large cigar ends Also there was smashed glasses on the ground that had not been swept up.
On the plus side, the food was really nice and you can pay extra for some meals such as £5 extra if you want a steak or £3 extra for cheese etc.
We personally walked into the restaurant at 4pm and booked a window table for 8.30pm and the lady wrote this in the book. Guess what ? YIP, no window table when we came down for our evening meal. How hard can this be to place a reserved sign on a table and what does it say about the service?
Previous comments are correct about training the staff and I don't want to be too critical as on balance, we had a good experience, but the fact is that I don't feel it is worth the money for what is on offer.
Would I return? YES, but only on a voucher offer as that's what I feel the Hotel is worth.
Their normal rates are too expensive for you receive in my opinion.
That said, the castle is lovely as are the grounds.

Room Tip: Look at the room before you book as room 12 is not what you might think it is.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Leyland, England
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed here for a wedding at the weekend and on arrival immediately noticed it had awful decorating for a place that takes in so much money! When we finally got into our room, we wasn't very impressed as our bed was two singles put together with a kingsize duvet, the headboard was some wooden thing attached to the wall, the wallpaper wasn't cut in a straight line, it had jagged edges and was falling off the walls, the window was hard to shut and was all cracked, it had old fashioned discoloured wallpaper and to be honest was no better than a dingy £30 a night bed and breakfast. The food served wasn't of great quality, I had chicken and veg which was just boiled veg and a piece of chicken with haggis inside, which was good but I felt they coulve done more with the potatoes, I also had mushroom soup which was good but tasted more like cream than mushroom, so it got quite sickly, and I had chocolate pan a cotta for desert which was the smallest thing ever but was very good. The drinks were very overpriced and they put wine on the table for the evening do, the same wine which was used for the afternoon meal which had the bride and grooms name on it, which was all paid for, but if you had it at the night do they would put a charge onto your end bill! Also on arrival they ask for a £50 holding fee which apparently doesn't come out of your bank, and gets released when you check out, however this £50 came out of my bank and still hasn't gone back in! Overall the castle is impressive from the outside, and the grounds are nice but I wouldn't bother going inside and especially not for £150 a night. Most of the staff were nice especially Peter who was very helpful, however there was some sour faced ones which I guess you get everywhere these days.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank khannahx
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed at this venue for a wedding. Saying the rooms where so expensive I was not very impressed to find wallpaper falling off the walls, damp patches, paint fading and scratched on the headboards, chairs wobbling and nearly falling to bits. nothing about the stay was luxury at all, I can honestly say ive stayed in nicer premier inn rooms. The breakfast we had was very good and the staff were very nice and friendly but the inside of the castle really needs cosmetic attention, the rooms really are a total let down.

1 Thank SamDewhurst
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

The title says it all.
The rooms have wallpaper falling off the walls, they are poorly lit and uncomfortable beds.
We attended a wedding breakfast. The food was awfully slow. Tables were eating different courses! The soup could have been a tinned one, the risotto was cold and 20mins late, they ran out of food so despite pre ordering meals, the person next to me had to order something else. The staff were dropping the veg onto a couple of us whilst serving- without an apology! The cheese cake desert, however, was great. They also served canapés which were faultless.

Drinks are very expensive too. For what they are priced at, you shouldn't get the above errors.

• Stayed April 2014
london
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Had a lovely stay at Dalhousie. The room was grand clean and had all the facilities you could want! The spa was small, but lovely . Breakfast in the morning was great and dinner in the dungeon was exquisite!! Would definitely recommend, surrounded by beautiful grounds and the owl sanctuary is worth a visit! Not far to Edinburgh which is a great town to visit!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonnyrigg
Melville Castle
Prestonfield
#3 of 149 in Edinburgh
Cringletie House
#2 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Dalhousie Castle? Share your experiences!