As stated in other reviews the setting here is lovely. When you approach you have a stunning view of a beautiful old castle. Unfortunately the rooms were disappointing, being very worn and threadbare with tears in the carpet and on the old sofa and side chair, stuffing showing through the holes. Had the sofa been comfortable (it was not) it would not have been a place to sit as it was too dark to read or knit. The wallpaper had numerous pieces torn/missing and was quite stained in one area. Bathroom was clean however had to ask for hand towels when they were not replaced. Coffee and tea were provided in the room but not replenished. Overall sense that they were understaffed and unable to attend to details.
Food was good and most staff were very pleasant. Had to wait almost an hour for breakfast on our last day, again appeared significantly understaffed.
Agree with a previous comment, the main stairs were very creaky and any room near the stairs would have been quite noisy.
Overall, a very high price for moderate accommodations and inconsistent service. Wound not recommend and would not stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel and Aqueous Spa is a magnificent 13th century fortress set within acres of wooded parkland on the picturesque banks of the River Esk. From the moment you arrive at Dalhousie Castle a warm Scottish welcome awaits. Whether relaxing in the the Spa, gathering in the library next to the open fire, dining in the vaulted 2 Rosette winning dungeon restaurant, or retiring to your chambers, you will always feel as welcome as the 'Laird'. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Priceline, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Dalhousie Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dalhousie Castle Bonnyrigg, Scotland
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel Bonnyrigg
- Castle Dalhousie