We stayed for 2 nights to attend a wedding, we arrived on the Friday an hour and half before we could get into our room as our flight was early and getting the hire car etc. had been quicker than we expected. We asked if we could get into our room early, however, the receptionist did not try and accommodate this, even though it has been vacated she would not ask house keeping to go to the room next which was a little disappointing. While we waited we went for a walk through the forests which was lovely as it was a very sunny day.
When we got to the room, it was huge, although a little worn. We were right at the top of the hotel, which was good exercise, but also meant that the windows were very small and one of them was too high to reach so at times it was too warm. The bed was large but you could feel the springs so was either cheap or old. There was a sofa and chair in the lounge area which were extremely old and worn and there was a small TV. The bathroom was clean and the water pressure was good.
We used the spa, which was very relaxing we were the only people in there, and it had recently been refurbished. It is worth popping in, but I wouldn't make a special trip to use the facilities that are included in the room rate.
Breakfast was very good, although a little too formal. They had a cold buffet of cereal and continental breakfast and then a hot breakfast could be ordered. I personally prefer a hot buffet, but the food was very good.
Overall this hotel is very nice, it is a relaxing place to go as there is nothing within walking distance. It desperately needs updating and I would have been disappointed if we had to pay full price for the room as I do not feel that it would have been worth that. Luckily we got a special wedding rate.
The wedding itself was fantastic, its a beautiful venue, the service was good and the food was very nice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel and Aqueous Spa is a magnificent 13th century fortress set within acres of wooded parkland on the picturesque banks of the River Esk. From the moment you arrive at Dalhousie Castle a warm Scottish welcome awaits. Whether relaxing in the the Spa, gathering in the library next to the open fire, dining in the vaulted 2 Rosette winning dungeon restaurant, or retiring to your chambers, you will always feel as welcome as the 'Laird'. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Dalhousie Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dalhousie Castle Bonnyrigg, Scotland
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel Bonnyrigg
- Castle Dalhousie