“I Need To Warn Other Travelers!”
Review of Dalhousie Castle

Dalhousie Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bonnyrigg
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

I'm not quite sure where to start here. I booked two rooms at Dalhousie even though they were quite expensive. We'd been staying at another hotel in the area but wanted the "experience" of staying in a "real" castle. An "experience" is what I got - albeit it one of the worst hotel stays of my life.

First off, when we got there, we got some vague directions to our rooms. One was up several flights of creaky stairs and nobody was willing to show us the way. After finding both rooms, we saw that one was not a "themed room" as we had booked and pre-paid for. Upon telling the assistant manager at the front desk, we were rudely told there were no other themed rooms available. They didn't even want to give us the difference in room price back! After spending hours on the phone with hotels.com (who we booked through), the Dalhousie grudgingly gave us back a measly 25 pounds. This is after hotels.com called the Dalhousie a good half dozen times. We left our info for the general manager to call us back and she never did.

We tried to do the falconry they offer on site but after several calls and messages, nobody contacted us back.

We ordered breakfast to be delivered, but lo and behold, that never showed up either.

There was a large leak in the ceiling outside our room that was constantly dripping on us as we walked by.

Here's the best part: while eating admittedly terrible food at The Orangery Restaurant on site, my 11 year old brother found a piece of metal in his food!!!! We were barely offered an apology and NOTHING WAS COMPED! Not even the food with the metal in it. Nor was my brother offered a fresh plate. We informed the front desk as well and nothing was done there either. So if you do stay here, please don't eat in The Orangery as it is not safe.

All of this and the rooms were muggy and hot, the "themed room" we did get was cheesy and not at all like a real castle, and the staff was rude and unhelpful.

Please don't let the lovely website fool you - DON'T STAY HERE!!

Try the nearby MacDonald Houston House instead.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
12  Thank CM S

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Cool castle to stay in but our overall experience was so, so. We occupied two rooms one of which being a themed room which is of good size. Both rooms were clean and well appointed. There were little things that got our attention though, like a loose toilet seat and loose towel holders. The staff seemed a bit aloof but this may be due to culture or just plain inexperience. Either way, it did not promote a better experience. The castle dungeon restaurant was very good as our 5 course meal took approx. three hours. Reservations are highly recommended as the restaurant is open to non guests. Took advantage of the falconry experience on the grounds which was a highlight to the stay. The library is a great place to relax with friends and have a drink anytime. The bartender in the library is very professional and attends to guests in an expert manner.
There was a wedding event during our stay which seemed to take precedence over our stay as the staff did not address the extremely loud reception and could easily be heard in our themed room late at night.
The castle itself is very cool and affords itself to being a nice alternative to staying in Edinburgh and would be better if the standards came up to the high price they charge.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

This was my first time ever staying at a castle hotel. Dalhousie Castle is about half an hour away from Edinburgh. When we first arrived, we were assigned the Cromwell Room (12), which I did not like. The hotel reception was kind enough to change my room to Sir William Wallace Room (22), which was much bigger on the top floor with a balcony. We loved the room with funny old furniture and drappery. We walked around the woods and river. It was such a lovely experience when it was sunny outside. When raining, we enjoyed afternoon tea in the library. John provided excellent service at the library bar. We also enjoyed the spa, especially the steam room and tepidarium. We never dined in the Dungeon but at the Orangery all the time, where we found very cheerful. We did not have a chance to try the clay pigeon shooting. If you want to give it a try, make sure booking ahead of the trip. The second night we moved back to the Cromwell room. The mattress was old and uncomfortable and noisy. The service is a bit slow at "Scottish time". Other than this, the overall experience was super soothing.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2014

In three weeks of staying in nine different hotels and inns in England, Ireland and Scotland, this was the only bad choice- and it was really bad from start to finish. All others we rated at least 4 stars and most were half the price. The staff at Dalhousie was very rude on check-in. Our "themed room" was up four flights of stairs, with no one available to help- staff was all busy. The carpets in our room were filthy with stains, and the bathroom was not clean. They made an attempt to make things look like a castle with heavy tapestry and a few acessories, but furniture, such as the desk and "armoire" were dime store quality modular furniture. The room was very hot; we finally found a fan to get a little circulation, but still not a comfortable night. Breakfast was to be included with our room, but we waited in the restaurant for over half an hour before getting up to ask for some coffee and to order breakfast. We finally got some coffee and ordered, but our food never came- said they must have given our order to someone else. After waiting over an hour, we had to get on the road, so mentioned the problems to the staff at check-out, who again was rude and then even charged us more than the rate we booked, which was never corrected. For anyone having their heart set on staying in a castle, there are much better choices out there.

13  Thank Robbie_and_Doug
Reviewed 1 July 2014

From the minute the young porter (I'm sorry I couldn't read his name tag) whizzed our bags to our room I felt like Queen of my own Castle. I had room 10, a four poster room, which was just beautiful. We had dinner in the Dungeon both nights and I HIGHLY recommend the Chicken Liver Pate with Caramelised Red Onion - it was heavenly. The freshly made breads that were served were divine - we were told the Castle had a new Chef so we told the waitress to pass on our compliments. The breakfasts in the Orangery were lovely and this is where I had my first taste of haggis - which I must admit I quite liked. All the staff were lovely and friendly but I must now pass on my thanks and gratitude to Alistair and Maria - my two angels in a crisis. I had misplaced my money belt which contained my passport, money, credit card, driver's license etc. Alistair with the help of my daughter rang the last place we visited, the police and the Australian Consulate and then he helped my son-in-law search the car. Maria took me under her wing as I was becoming quite distressed, sat and talked to me and arranged for a much needed alcoholic beverage. It was eventually found but I cannot say enough things about this wonderful pair of angels. Their help and kindness was very much appreciated. I loved Dalhousie Castle and my room Number 10.

Room Tip: Room Number 10 is my pick
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Being able to say we stayed the night in a castle is pretty amazing in my opinion, but the rooms are in pretty bad shape. The wallpaper was peeling off the wall, there were stains on the carpet, the toilet handle was practically broken! But the staff was very friendly. Also afternoon tea was great and dinner at the Orangery was absolutely delicious! Considering the price and the condition of our room, I would not stay here again, but is was still a good experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This old castle complete with its own chapel and ballroom makes this an ideal venue for a fairytale wedding. The staff were extremely helpful Alistair the concierge was outstanding in helping a disabled guest to cope with the idiosyncrasies of the building. The grounds were immaculate and on a sunny day made the ideal backdrop for wedding photographs.
Food was well presented and for such a large party was of good quality.
Whoever had the idea to use an owl from the “birds of prey” attraction at the castle to deliver the wedding ring to the best man had a stroke of genius.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonnyrigg
Melville Castle
#2 of 3 in Dalkeith
Princes Street and Gardens
The Balmoral Hotel
The Balmoral Hotel
#14 of 151 in Edinburgh
Prestonfield
#4 of 151 in Edinburgh

Been to Dalhousie Castle? Share your experiences!