“Amazing wedding!!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bonnyrigg
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Amazing wedding!!!”
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Just had the most amazing wedding day at Dalhousie Castle. I can't even begin to explain how brilliant the staff were. Mhari the events planner was so helpful before the day with answering questions and facilitating and changes I wanted to make. I had asked for Mhari fish and chip cones for buffet which were not on the option list but this was no problem along with several other items that I asked to change. I arrived on the day before the wedding along with a number of family and friends. Nick was great at helping some of my friends and family find a good restaurant in Dublin. 14 close family members ate in the dungeon restaurant which was amazing. The food was really 5 star and the chef brought out several extra tasters in between courses. We had a private room which felt intimate and really special and the service was brilliant. Several family members also had food in the Orangery and they too said it was great.
I thought I would have lots of work to do helping set the tables but all I had to do was leave lots of boxes downstairs and it was all done for me. The staff worked really hard to make sure everything was perfect. This was great as it just meant I could totally relax the day before. On my wedding day I got ready in a family members room as some of the rooms are quite dark for doing make up but this was not a problem. Damian the master of ceremony is a complete star. He is so good at his job and was very professional along with being warm and caring. Even small touches such as having iced water for us just before we entered the chapel and calming my nerves were greatly appreciated. The chapel looked amazing and fitted the 90 guests perfectly while creating a romantic atmosphere. After the ceremony staff were diligent at making sure everyone had a glass of champagne and canapés and were very polite. We were running a little late for the wedding breakfast as we wanted some more photos and Damian adjusted for this. The room that we had our meal in looked stunning. It looked like it was straight out of a bridal magazine and I was chuffed. Damian let us see the room before the other guests to check that we were happy and then gave us a glass of champagne and gave us 10 minutes alone to be with each other. This was really nice just to have 10 mins to see how my new husband was doing and calm his nerves before his speech. Service again could not be faulted at dinner. Glasses were constantly being topped up and several friends and family said that they loved their waiter or waitress. I have a chatty friendly bunch of friends and family and the staff were more that happy to engage with them. This helped create a less formal and more relaxed atmosphere that we were eager to create.
Such a perfect venue for a very special day. I have had so many compliments from friends and family that I needed to pass on so that they know they are doing a good job.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank lync2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Farmington, Connecticut
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband has always wanted to stay in a castle so I bought him one for his birthday! We stayed in the Mary Queen of Scots room which was huge! The bed, where do I begin? I lay down on that bed and took a 2 hour nap in style! Some reviewers say it's shabby, but it's lived in. Could a big chain like Chateau Relais take it over and make it perfect? Sure, but then folk like me couldn't afford to stay there.
We arrived and were greeted by New Team Member (Nick) who took us to reception then drove us down to the birds as we had arranged a Hawk Walk. Unfortunately, it was raining a bit too hard for the birds to fly and hunt. But they were so accommodating and as the rain let up some, we went into the garden flew Benny and fed him. It was too soggy to walk through the fields with him. For us as well as for him. Tom was very informative and knowledgeable about the birds. I held an eagle! It was fantastic and well worth the time and money to experience this!
Drinks were in the Library which was kind of funny as I felt like we were in Downton Abbey! But underdressed. I can't recall the name of the bar man, but he's worked there 40 years! He wasn't a big talker but he made a great g&t! Dinner was in the library and the food was excellent! There was a yummy amuse bouche that really set the tone of great food to come! The chef there really was amazing. I highly recommend the Dungeon for dinner even if you aren't staying there. The experience was awesome.
After dinner, we walked around the grounds and it was light out until almost 11pm!
Breakfast in the Orangery was yummy! I had salmon and scrambled eggs. I like my eggs more well done, but the salmon was so good, as was the cheese on the continental, that all I wanted was the salmon, bread, cheese....and haggis which was excellent!!
New Team Member Nick was on hand again to call us a taxi and send us on our way, all with a smile.
The overall experience was excellent, although more than one day out there I would have gotten a bit antsy. It's a short drive from the city so we were able to get back and have a full day of sightseeing.

Room Tip: Book a suite. It's well worth the extra cost and the rooms are fantastic!
Nutley, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Our dream wedding came true at Dalhousie July, 2014. From the initial contact to the final send off, we couldn't have been more delighted in our ceremony at the castle chapel, our wedding dinner, and overall service that we received. Yes, there were a few speed bumps working all the particulars out before the wedding, but all went smoothly as our day unfolded. Though there was only 6 of us we were distinctively treated throughout the day. One special surprise of our ceremony (for me) was having our rings flown to us in a pouch by an owl from the back of the chapel. A pleasant surprise by my wife to me. We didn't stay overnight after the wedding, because we were situated in Edinburg, so I can't provide any feedback as to the bedrooms. If you are considering your dream to come true at a castle you need to consider Dalhousie. We couldn't have been happier with our choice. Our dream came true that day.

1 Thank traveleurope610
Oakham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We had a lovely stay at the castle for our mini-moon in June. We booked directly through the castle, along with the falconry and archery and they were very efficient at replying and very helpful.
We were greeted from the taxi and were taken to our room which was exactly what we were looking for-spacious and comfy (I wanted to take the bed with me). It was clean and the views over the grounds were gorgeous. We went for a walk through the woodland and out to the field and found the old cool room near the river to the sound of the piper who was playing outside.
We ate in both the Dungeon and The Orangery and both were spot-on. If you're looking for something special I recommend the Dungeon, if you're after something lighter or family-friendly choose The Orangery.
The following day we used the spa in the morning which was very relaxing and refreshing, followed by the falconry and archery in the afternoon. We had a brilliant time and although it was a bit expensive you get a really good experience for your money.
That evening, after dinner, we were sitting in the Library and were invited on an impromptu ghost tour of the castle which was fascinating. I love history and heritage so learning about Dalhousie and seeing parts of it that you wouldn't see day-to-day was great. It was the icing on the cake for us and we had a great time.
The staff on reception were very friendly and helpful-we had lots of questions and they knew the hotel inside out.
You had to pay for Wifi, but to be honest, we were on a break and didn't want to hear from anyone anyway!
Thanks very much to all involved.

Room Tip: Book directly through the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

I'm not quite sure where to start here. I booked two rooms at Dalhousie even though they were quite expensive. We'd been staying at another hotel in the area but wanted the "experience" of staying in a "real" castle. An "experience" is what I got - albeit it one of the worst hotel stays of my life.

First off, when we got there, we got some vague directions to our rooms. One was up several flights of creaky stairs and nobody was willing to show us the way. After finding both rooms, we saw that one was not a "themed room" as we had booked and pre-paid for. Upon telling the assistant manager at the front desk, we were rudely told there were no other themed rooms available. They didn't even want to give us the difference in room price back! After spending hours on the phone with hotels.com (who we booked through), the Dalhousie grudgingly gave us back a measly 25 pounds. This is after hotels.com called the Dalhousie a good half dozen times. We left our info for the general manager to call us back and she never did.

We tried to do the falconry they offer on site but after several calls and messages, nobody contacted us back.

We ordered breakfast to be delivered, but lo and behold, that never showed up either.

There was a large leak in the ceiling outside our room that was constantly dripping on us as we walked by.

Here's the best part: while eating admittedly terrible food at The Orangery Restaurant on site, my 11 year old brother found a piece of metal in his food!!!! We were barely offered an apology and NOTHING WAS COMPED! Not even the food with the metal in it. Nor was my brother offered a fresh plate. We informed the front desk as well and nothing was done there either. So if you do stay here, please don't eat in The Orangery as it is not safe.

All of this and the rooms were muggy and hot, the "themed room" we did get was cheesy and not at all like a real castle, and the staff was rude and unhelpful.

Please don't let the lovely website fool you - DON'T STAY HERE!!

Try the nearby MacDonald Houston House instead.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank CM S
Sykesville, Maryland
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Cool castle to stay in but our overall experience was so, so. We occupied two rooms one of which being a themed room which is of good size. Both rooms were clean and well appointed. There were little things that got our attention though, like a loose toilet seat and loose towel holders. The staff seemed a bit aloof but this may be due to culture or just plain inexperience. Either way, it did not promote a better experience. The castle dungeon restaurant was very good as our 5 course meal took approx. three hours. Reservations are highly recommended as the restaurant is open to non guests. Took advantage of the falconry experience on the grounds which was a highlight to the stay. The library is a great place to relax with friends and have a drink anytime. The bartender in the library is very professional and attends to guests in an expert manner.
There was a wedding event during our stay which seemed to take precedence over our stay as the staff did not address the extremely loud reception and could easily be heard in our themed room late at night.
The castle itself is very cool and affords itself to being a nice alternative to staying in Edinburgh and would be better if the standards came up to the high price they charge.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This was my first time ever staying at a castle hotel. Dalhousie Castle is about half an hour away from Edinburgh. When we first arrived, we were assigned the Cromwell Room (12), which I did not like. The hotel reception was kind enough to change my room to Sir William Wallace Room (22), which was much bigger on the top floor with a balcony. We loved the room with funny old furniture and drappery. We walked around the woods and river. It was such a lovely experience when it was sunny outside. When raining, we enjoyed afternoon tea in the library. John provided excellent service at the library bar. We also enjoyed the spa, especially the steam room and tepidarium. We never dined in the Dungeon but at the Orangery all the time, where we found very cheerful. We did not have a chance to try the clay pigeon shooting. If you want to give it a try, make sure booking ahead of the trip. The second night we moved back to the Cromwell room. The mattress was old and uncomfortable and noisy. The service is a bit slow at "Scottish time". Other than this, the overall experience was super soothing.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonnyrigg
Melville Castle
Broughton & Calton
Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace
Cringletie House
#2 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Dalhousie Castle? Share your experiences!