We have spent a long weekend at Dalhousie. Booking online turned out to be flexible when I needed to switch weekends. Location at 30min drive from airport, still once on the castle grounds and looking away from the parking lot, you feel in the middle of a medieval landscape. Went for a cute little hike in the morning and spotted a roe or doe (?) or two in a meadow surrounded by forrest; we enjoyed this encounter for +10min at a distance of only 40m (we stood off-wind)!
Breakfast, lunch and evening meals are exquisite. Period.
Staff is friendly and considerate.
There was a wedding going on during that weekend, but we had our spatious rooms four floors up (3rd fl) so no noise ruining our sleep that night.
We enjoyed the full falconry experience. This costs some money, but you get to see, feel and feed several birds of prey from up close, on your own arm. From a small hawk to one of the huge owls, you may even get to choose... With good education by a committed falconer.This activity on the castle grounds is strongly recommended! Walking around the birds in the falconry is free.
Rosslin chapel is very nearby - one could even consider to walk, it's 10km by road.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel and Aqueous Spa is a magnificent 13th century fortress set within acres of wooded parkland on the picturesque banks of the River Esk. From the moment you arrive at Dalhousie Castle a warm Scottish welcome awaits. Whether relaxing in the the Spa, gathering in the library next to the open fire, dining in the vaulted 2 Rosette winning dungeon restaurant, or retiring to your chambers, you will always feel as welcome as the 'Laird'. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Dalhousie Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dalhousie Castle Bonnyrigg, Scotland
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel Bonnyrigg
- Castle Dalhousie