“we loved it”
Review of Dalhousie Castle

Dalhousie Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bonnyrigg
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

first of all, it took a hour for us to explore all the hallways, staircases, hidden shortcuts and so on. Of course the very friendly staff would alwas help us. The room was cozy and lovely decorated, 76 stair steps above ground. We also liked the winter garden reataurant (Orangerie), its view, dinner and breakfast. We did not try the fine dungeon restaurant. Next time. The surrounding is beautiful, too. We found a couple of beautiful trails. The library also offers a nice view, drinks are being serves from a bar behind a hidden bookshelf door. We have been there for the first time, but hopefully not the last.

1  Thank BEE239

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed for two nights in a themed room. We loved the room - it had some quirks/creaks but given it is a castle I think it comes with the territory.

We found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The only negative was having to wait to be served/seated in the library for drinks and the Orangery for lunch and breakfast. Once we were served, the service was great.

The food was exceptional. We had lunch in the Orangery and dinner in the Dungeon both nights. Amazing quality, taste and presentation!

We also took part in the Falconry. It was a great experience however compared to other centres/experiences we have been involved in, it is not as intimate. And not to mention the price! At least double the price of other centres, however given the setting and the fact that they may have limited customers, perhaps they need to charge more...not sure?

Overall we are glad we stayed here and we had a great time.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We have spent a long weekend at Dalhousie. Booking online turned out to be flexible when I needed to switch weekends. Location at 30min drive from airport, still once on the castle grounds and looking away from the parking lot, you feel in the middle of a medieval landscape. Went for a cute little hike in the morning and spotted a roe or doe (?) or two in a meadow surrounded by forrest; we enjoyed this encounter for +10min at a distance of only 40m (we stood off-wind)!
Breakfast, lunch and evening meals are exquisite. Period.
Staff is friendly and considerate.
There was a wedding going on during that weekend, but we had our spatious rooms four floors up (3rd fl) so no noise ruining our sleep that night.
We enjoyed the full falconry experience. This costs some money, but you get to see, feel and feed several birds of prey from up close, on your own arm. From a small hawk to one of the huge owls, you may even get to choose... With good education by a committed falconer.This activity on the castle grounds is strongly recommended! Walking around the birds in the falconry is free.
Rosslin chapel is very nearby - one could even consider to walk, it's 10km by road.

Room Tip: ask whether there is a wedding going on during your stay - you may want a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for two nights as a portion of our honeymoon tour of the UK. To say we had an amazing time was an understatement. Our room was gorgeous and spacious (Oliver Cromwell Room), and even though there was an anniversary party one night and a wedding the next night, our room was quiet and we were not disturbed at all. We also had the pleasure of doing the Falconry and Archery, which turned into one of the most memorable portions of our honeymoon. Additionally, we had dinner at the Dungeon restaurant, which is expensive but SO worth it. An outstanding time, thank you!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed here recently for 3 nights, Sunday to Wednesday. If arriving from the airport, it is only a 20-25 minute, easy drive and there is plenty of car parking close to the hotel entrance. Be warned if you are not good with stairs, there are lots of stairs and steps in this property and to my knowledge there is no lift. So, if you need help with your luggage up and down the stairs, ask for it and you will be helped! Check in was straight forward - I booked online, quite a while in advance and had got a good rate, including breakfast. Another tip - this castle is very popular for weddings, so if you need to stay in the summer months as we did, you need to book well in advance! We had also booked dinner for 7 people in The Dungeon Restaurant - the hotel manager very kindly spoke to the chef, at our request, and they agreed to offer menu items from the other restaurant, The Orangery, for our children who would have perhaps been a bit perplexed by the more elaborate Dungeon menu. This was a big help for us, and it was good of the hotel to accommodate our request. Our room was a standard deluxe and it was lovely. Quiet, with tasteful furnishings and a gorgeous view out to the forest. The shower was excellent and the bed comfortable. The rooms can sometimes feel cold even in summer (well, what do you expect with those stone walls!) but a few minutes of the wall heater will soon take the chill off. I do not agree with comments saying the hotel is shabby - while everything is not brand new, it feels clean and cozy. Breakfast is served in The Orangery and offers a reasonably wide choice of hot food, and perhaps less so on the cold items. My husband loved his full breakfast complete with haggis and black pudding. My only slight niggle with breakfast was that service could be a little on the slow side - perhaps an extra member of staff would make the difference? - although with a building such as this, goodness knows how far the staff have to walk from the kitchen! We had several drinks in the Library Bar, which is a lovely spot - great view from the window and you can appreciate the late, light Scottish evening from there! Service was good and the drinks come quickly! Dinner at the Dungeon was nice, the staff are very friendly but again my only slight complaint is service a little on the slow side. Would I stay here again? Yes, definitely. Phone signals and wifi are pretty much non existent here - and its all the better for it!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank QueenMargarita
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Just had the most amazing wedding day at Dalhousie Castle. I can't even begin to explain how brilliant the staff were. Mhari the events planner was so helpful before the day with answering questions and facilitating and changes I wanted to make. I had asked for Mhari fish and chip cones for buffet which were not on the option list but this was no problem along with several other items that I asked to change. I arrived on the day before the wedding along with a number of family and friends. Nick was great at helping some of my friends and family find a good restaurant in Dublin. 14 close family members ate in the dungeon restaurant which was amazing. The food was really 5 star and the chef brought out several extra tasters in between courses. We had a private room which felt intimate and really special and the service was brilliant. Several family members also had food in the Orangery and they too said it was great.
I thought I would have lots of work to do helping set the tables but all I had to do was leave lots of boxes downstairs and it was all done for me. The staff worked really hard to make sure everything was perfect. This was great as it just meant I could totally relax the day before. On my wedding day I got ready in a family members room as some of the rooms are quite dark for doing make up but this was not a problem. Damian the master of ceremony is a complete star. He is so good at his job and was very professional along with being warm and caring. Even small touches such as having iced water for us just before we entered the chapel and calming my nerves were greatly appreciated. The chapel looked amazing and fitted the 90 guests perfectly while creating a romantic atmosphere. After the ceremony staff were diligent at making sure everyone had a glass of champagne and canapés and were very polite. We were running a little late for the wedding breakfast as we wanted some more photos and Damian adjusted for this. The room that we had our meal in looked stunning. It looked like it was straight out of a bridal magazine and I was chuffed. Damian let us see the room before the other guests to check that we were happy and then gave us a glass of champagne and gave us 10 minutes alone to be with each other. This was really nice just to have 10 mins to see how my new husband was doing and calm his nerves before his speech. Service again could not be faulted at dinner. Glasses were constantly being topped up and several friends and family said that they loved their waiter or waitress. I have a chatty friendly bunch of friends and family and the staff were more that happy to engage with them. This helped create a less formal and more relaxed atmosphere that we were eager to create.
Such a perfect venue for a very special day. I have had so many compliments from friends and family that I needed to pass on so that they know they are doing a good job.

5  Thank lync2013
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband has always wanted to stay in a castle so I bought him one for his birthday! We stayed in the Mary Queen of Scots room which was huge! The bed, where do I begin? I lay down on that bed and took a 2 hour nap in style! Some reviewers say it's shabby, but it's lived in. Could a big chain like Chateau Relais take it over and make it perfect? Sure, but then folk like me couldn't afford to stay there.
We arrived and were greeted by New Team Member (Nick) who took us to reception then drove us down to the birds as we had arranged a Hawk Walk. Unfortunately, it was raining a bit too hard for the birds to fly and hunt. But they were so accommodating and as the rain let up some, we went into the garden flew Benny and fed him. It was too soggy to walk through the fields with him. For us as well as for him. Tom was very informative and knowledgeable about the birds. I held an eagle! It was fantastic and well worth the time and money to experience this!
Drinks were in the Library which was kind of funny as I felt like we were in Downton Abbey! But underdressed. I can't recall the name of the bar man, but he's worked there 40 years! He wasn't a big talker but he made a great g&t! Dinner was in the library and the food was excellent! There was a yummy amuse bouche that really set the tone of great food to come! The chef there really was amazing. I highly recommend the Dungeon for dinner even if you aren't staying there. The experience was awesome.
After dinner, we walked around the grounds and it was light out until almost 11pm!
Breakfast in the Orangery was yummy! I had salmon and scrambled eggs. I like my eggs more well done, but the salmon was so good, as was the cheese on the continental, that all I wanted was the salmon, bread, cheese....and haggis which was excellent!!
New Team Member Nick was on hand again to call us a taxi and send us on our way, all with a smile.
The overall experience was excellent, although more than one day out there I would have gotten a bit antsy. It's a short drive from the city so we were able to get back and have a full day of sightseeing.

Room Tip: Book a suite. It's well worth the extra cost and the rooms are fantastic!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonnyrigg
Melville Castle
Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel
Prestonfield
Prestonfield
#4 of 151 in Edinburgh

Been to Dalhousie Castle? Share your experiences!