We had a meal at the hotel on a previous visit to Scotland and decided that it would be the ideal place to sample a real Scottish Hogmanay. So (pre credit crunch) splashed out the £2,000 required for a three day "all inclusive" break.
Half the money was required as a deposit 6 months in advance and despite requests we never had even the courtesy of an acknowledgment.
Overall the organisation of the three days was excellent, with superb food and entertainment. The Gala dinners, ceiledh night and Murder Mystery evening all first class.
Now for the down side! Our "themed" room (James VI) was small and extremely shabby. Scratched old furniture, that our local charity shop wouldn't have accepted. Worn carpets, torn curtains and scratched dark green wallpaper, making the room very dark. The lighting was totally inadequate.The bath had mildew all around the edge. They obviously have ignored the advice given by a previous reviewer!
The staff were generally helpful and attentive, in particular the Restaurant manageress.
Would we repeat the experience? Not at the price and we would need to know that the rooms had a very much needed upgrade.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel and Aqueous Spa is a magnificent 13th century fortress set within acres of wooded parkland on the picturesque banks of the River Esk. From the moment you arrive at Dalhousie Castle a warm Scottish welcome awaits. Whether relaxing in the the Spa, gathering in the library next to the open fire, dining in the vaulted 2 Rosette winning dungeon restaurant, or retiring to your chambers, you will always feel as welcome as the 'Laird'. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Dalhousie Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dalhousie Castle Bonnyrigg, Scotland
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel Bonnyrigg
- Castle Dalhousie