Dalhousie Castle
US$135
Travelodge Edinburgh Musselburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$73
Travelodge
US$203
US$129
Travelodge Edinburgh Cameron Toll(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$80
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
1,502 results
All reviewsdungeon restaurantlibrary barspa facilitiesfour posterafternoon teano liftbefore dinnerthemed roomsfalconry experiencespecial occasionfine diningwedding partyhydro poolwedding breakfastbirds of preywhole experiencenight porter
Reviewed 16 January 2009

Style: historic Scottish charm with a modern twist in spa and some rooms. Expect creaky floors, stone walls, wrought iron and tartan!

We went here for a wedding and I thought it was a stunning castle with birds of prey on the drive up to the castle. On arrival we managed to get a free upgrade. We thought our room-complete with fluffy robes, slippers, Arran Aromatic goodies and the best home made cookies in a handmade ceramic pot (Room 15) was quite dated though and when we saw some of the other guests rooms-(ie James Cromwell room)-modern, 4-poster style, very large with separate childs bed area- we wish we had made more enquiries! Also the modern-room couple booked late availability and got B+B for less than our dated room! The goodies in our room did help make up for it though. I made sure I had a good wander round the facilities. The guests bar-aka The Library room was fantastic after the wedding finished-real log fire and a 'secret' bar lies behind a door of books which was a nice touch! The spa is small and there is no pool or jacuzzi. Its a 'hydro pool' and its small but it suited our short stay. We had breakfast in the Orangey which was light and airy-perfect for breakfast. From other rewiews the pre-dinner canapes before dinner in Library Room then dinner in the stunning Dungeon Restaurant sounds great and I would definatley go back to try that out! I will be asking for the Cromwell room though and take note on the spa bookings as per the other reviews. Worth trying to late availability though if you visit on a whim.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank LousArchive
Reviewed 7 January 2009

This stunning scottish castle was a wonderful setting for a weekend away. The castle suites vary from modern to old traditional interiors. The food was excellent with canapes in the library before continuing to the astompheric dungeon restaurant. The spa offered a good range of treatments and an optic light lit steam room, a shower with different modes e.g rainforest and a jacuzzi, note: there is not a pool as such. Edinburgh is within easy reach by car and the grounds have birds of prey on site.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DentalPR
Reviewed 3 January 2009

We had a meal at the hotel on a previous visit to Scotland and decided that it would be the ideal place to sample a real Scottish Hogmanay. So (pre credit crunch) splashed out the £2,000 required for a three day "all inclusive" break.
Half the money was required as a deposit 6 months in advance and despite requests we never had even the courtesy of an acknowledgment.
Overall the organisation of the three days was excellent, with superb food and entertainment. The Gala dinners, ceiledh night and Murder Mystery evening all first class.
Now for the down side! Our "themed" room (James VI) was small and extremely shabby. Scratched old furniture, that our local charity shop wouldn't have accepted. Worn carpets, torn curtains and scratched dark green wallpaper, making the room very dark. The lighting was totally inadequate.The bath had mildew all around the edge. They obviously have ignored the advice given by a previous reviewer!
The staff were generally helpful and attentive, in particular the Restaurant manageress.
Would we repeat the experience? Not at the price and we would need to know that the rooms had a very much needed upgrade.

Stayed: January 2009
3  Thank teddymWales
Reviewed 30 December 2008

I paid £350 for a one night spa break which included spa time. When we checked in I was told there were no slots left and the spa was a different company from the castle. No-one cared that I had paid £200 over the rack rate for a spa package. They eventually offered me a time well after we would have been due to check out which would have meant missing a family get together. The falconry mews was closed already even though it was meant to be open for another hour. The spa was closing at 6 instead of 8. Which meant we had 6.5 hours of nothing! until dinner. So much for activities.

Went to the bar, the waiter was downright hostile and got to the point of ignoring me even when I stood in front of him and asked politely for a menu. Then we tried to book time with the birds the following day early only to be told that they were a separate company too.

At this point we realised we were stuck in this dark, aging and very worn (James VI room) hotel, there was nothing at all to do (everything was closing earlier than advertised) and not even the spa treatment - I cried, we left. £350, sigh.

Not the best Boxing Day - and not even a refund offer from the hotel manager. Avoid at all costs, the so called activities for this private country hotel appear to be all separate companies so there is no guarantee you will get the services you pay for in the packages.

UPDATE: Manager offered me b+b for one night at some point in January - not acceptable considering b+b is 1/2the cost I paid. Not a pleasant experience, I feel like I've been robbed.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank JULSHK
Reviewed 23 December 2008

Dalhousie Castle is fabulous! Located just outside of Edinburgh, it is a fairy tale venue. Anyone that enjoys history, will be pleased with a stay at Dalhousie. I believe that the castle was built in the 13th century....however, the interior is up to the moment. Upon entering the castle, you will find a split staircase, covered in a wonderful tartan plaid. The bellman was decked in highland regalia and full of bonny stories. The bedroom was just superb, as the drapes and bed cover were all done in a silk highland plaid. I had a sitting room with TV as well. There are two dining areas. one is in the Orangery, which is quite casual. The other dining room is called The Dungeon" and it is truly situated in the old dungeon of the castle. If interested, a famous spa is available for ones use. The staff was superior and the experience was tons of fun. The Scots are such wonderful hosts.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank ukpassion