I was not attending a wedding here but just wanted to spend a few days relaxing. Whilst I found nothing really bad enough that would want me to leave the hotel I was disappointed after the rave reviews I had read. A looked at the wedding chapel and agree this looks lovely and photographs taken in the grounds will be very nice. However, I feel that it's not worth spending more than one night here if coming for a wedding.
To walk the fields you have to traverse a steep slope and as there were not many paths (hard road type) you will find it muddy and slippy in the winter. The spa itself was very nice but I was disappointed that I had to leave the spa area in a dressing gown to reach the treatment room, other guests going to lunch or dinner have to pass you on the stairs.
I requested a newspaper but this did not arrive. I requested that my bed be separated into a twin before arrival but this was not done and I had to request this again after check-in. I contacted reception to complain that there were around 6 dead flies stuck to the inside of my window and to ask for them to be removed - again nothing was done. Some of the reception staff had a rather poor attitude. The outside of the windows were filthy and looked as if they hadn't been cleaned for quite a while. I also noticed some of the other windows on the top floors were covered with bird droppings and had what looked like wasp nests outside. I have stayed in lots of 4 and 5 star hotels throughout the world and don't expect perfection but you are paying a lot of money for this hotel I expected better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel and Aqueous Spa is a magnificent 13th century fortress set within acres of wooded parkland on the picturesque banks of the River Esk. From the moment you arrive at Dalhousie Castle a warm Scottish welcome awaits. Whether relaxing in the the Spa, gathering in the library next to the open fire, dining in the vaulted 2 Rosette winning dungeon restaurant, or retiring to your chambers, you will always feel as welcome as the 'Laird'. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Dalhousie Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dalhousie Castle Bonnyrigg, Scotland
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel Bonnyrigg
- Castle Dalhousie