“very nice”
Review of Dalhousie Castle

Dalhousie Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bonnyrigg
Reviewed 18 January 2005

Wonderful stay. Very expensive, but worth it. We had a wonderful room, and kids loved exploring.

3  Thank tonymsrad

Reviewed 13 December 2004

11  Thank MicJam
Reviewed 1 December 2004

I was not attending a wedding here but just wanted to spend a few days relaxing. Whilst I found nothing really bad enough that would want me to leave the hotel I was disappointed after the rave reviews I had read. A looked at the wedding chapel and agree this looks lovely and photographs taken in the grounds will be very nice. However, I feel that it's not worth spending more than one night here if coming for a wedding.

To walk the fields you have to traverse a steep slope and as there were not many paths (hard road type) you will find it muddy and slippy in the winter. The spa itself was very nice but I was disappointed that I had to leave the spa area in a dressing gown to reach the treatment room, other guests going to lunch or dinner have to pass you on the stairs.

I requested a newspaper but this did not arrive. I requested that my bed be separated into a twin before arrival but this was not done and I had to request this again after check-in. I contacted reception to complain that there were around 6 dead flies stuck to the inside of my window and to ask for them to be removed - again nothing was done. Some of the reception staff had a rather poor attitude. The outside of the windows were filthy and looked as if they hadn't been cleaned for quite a while. I also noticed some of the other windows on the top floors were covered with bird droppings and had what looked like wasp nests outside. I have stayed in lots of 4 and 5 star hotels throughout the world and don't expect perfection but you are paying a lot of money for this hotel I expected better.

• Stayed: January 2005

Reviewed 26 September 2004

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 September 2004

Lovely, really lovely!

The grounds are beautiful, the Falconry is unique, and our room was very castle-like and comfortable at the same time. The bathroom was large and clean. We stayed in the James the IV room, a good sized theme room. We walked to the Lodge and around the castle, but I did not see any other bedrooms.

The library is like stepping into the past! Even if you don't eat there, take a look at both the dungeon and the library.

The Orangery, where you eat breakfast, is bright and welcoming and the food good - certainly filling!

The staff was unfailingly pleasant.

We toured the countryside from the castle and found it a good base for seeing Scotland, although trips to the Highlands (even the Central Highlands, where Loch Ness and Inverness are) are a bit long.

The bagpiper played for us and he was great!

There were events there every night we stayed, but the castle absorbs all noise and you could not hear any revelry in our room, even though everyone downstairs was having a great time. It does make parking a bit crowded, though!

Altogether a unique and rewarding experience.

6  Thank Randy O
Reviewed 10 September 2004

3  Thank fiona229
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonnyrigg
Melville Castle
#2 of 3 in Dalkeith
Princes Street and Gardens
The Balmoral Hotel
The Balmoral Hotel
#14 of 151 in Edinburgh
Prestonfield
#4 of 151 in Edinburgh

Been to Dalhousie Castle? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Dalhousie Castle

Address: Dalhousie Castle grounds, Bonnyrigg EH19 3JB, Scotland
Region: United Kingdom > Scotland > Midlothian > Bonnyrigg
Bar / Lounge Business Centre with Internet Access Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Spa Suites Airport Transportation
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bonnyrigg
Price Range: £85 - £229 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4 star — Dalhousie Castle 4*
Dalhousie Castle Hotel and Aqueous Spa is a magnificent 13th century fortress set within acres of wooded parkland on the picturesque banks of the River Esk. From the moment you arrive at Dalhousie Castle a warm Scottish welcome awaits. Whether relaxing in the the Spa, gathering in the library next to the open fire, dining in the vaulted 2 Rosette winning dungeon restaurant, or retiring to your chambers, you will always feel as welcome as the 'Laird'. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LateRooms, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Dalhousie Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Dalhousie Castle Bonnyrigg, Scotland