“Engaged & to be Married...!”
Review of Dalhousie Castle

Dalhousie Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bonnyrigg
A TripAdvisor Member
“Engaged & to be Married...!”
Reviewed 20 May 2006

Amazing!

My boyfriend surprised me with a 1-night stay at Dalhousie Castle in mid-April '06 (during a long weekend away in Edinburgh). Little did I know he was planning to propose!

We had a fantastic room, really spacious, amazing view, lovely clean bathroon and huge bed - sadly I'm not the fittest person and it was right at the very top of the hotel so quite a tiring trek up there!

Boyfriend also arranged for me to visit the Spa before our meal and as it was quite late in the day I had it all to myself - pure luxury!

Dinner was in the Dungeon (oh after pre-dinner drinks in the library bar), food was amazing and then came the RING!!! I was so surprised, and cried for 10mins before I said yes!

After spending a FAB night getting drunk in the 24hr bar, we left the hotel the next morning (can't comment too much on breakfast, my stomach wasn't doing too well!), wedding brochure in hand and called 2-days later to book our wedding there... We're getting married in Oct '07 and I can't wait!!!

I can't recommend this hotel enough, its fantastic, you will not be disappointed. We look forward to going back very soon!!!

X

• Stayed April 2006
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2006

My husband and I stayed in The Indian inspired room which overlooked the green, the trees, and the falcons flying. I suppose that fresh flowers would have been a nice touch, but honestly, the lack of them did not affect our pleasure. They left little fine whiskey bottles instead, which seems appropriate, don't you agree?

We had the spa to ourselves for over an hour--and it is probably the best we've ever seen. One relaxing toy after the next! What's more, there is a lovely sun room attached, in which to lie back and watch the birds fly overhead whilst sipping your tea. Ah, bliss!

The dinner was lovely and the staff attentive and charming.

The atmosphere of the library-lounge was special, as well. And no, the drinks were not overpriced! I've paid the same price elsewhere in the UK for scotch of that calibre. Besides, if money is a worry, one could simply drink from the gratis whiskey bottles, eh?

The following morning, after a hearty breakfast, we visited the nearby Rosslyn Chapel. (pre-"Da Vinci Code", I might add. ;>) We returned for a falconry session that was delivered to us as though we were the Lord and Lady of the castle. We loved the attention we received and the unhurried pace of the expereince.

We only spent one full day/night at Dalhousie, but the experience was so rich and satisfying that we felt as though we had been on a much longer retreat.

By the way, a traditional Scottish wedding took place the night of our visit. And the staff's service to us was exemplary.

In fact it was a pleasure to catch a glimpse at the the dance, traditional garb and bagpipes of the festivity. Once we were in our room, we were amazed at how the castle walls prevented any noise from reaching us at all.

(To be fair, I suppose one should ask for a garden facing room, if one is troubled by the sound of guests coming and going on the gravel car lot)

Overall, I'd say our stay was perfect!

• Stayed August 2004
11 Thank Regina T
Reviewed 1 March 2006

We loved this hotel. Absolutely amazing. We stayed in the India Room which was lovely. The grounds of this castle were a pleasant surprise. The view from our window was straight out of a fairy tale. We especially loved having drinks in the library followed by dinner in the dungeon. The food was amazing, and the ambiance was very romantic. We highly recommend this castle hotel.

• Stayed May 2004
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 February 2006

.....I got married in Dalhousie Castle on the 31st Jan '06, and loved every minute of it. A great venue for a winter wedding.

The location is fantastic, close to Edinburgh but still in the countryside.

I cannot recommend this hotel enough. The food was great, the staff really friendly, and the rooms were fantastic ( the library bar being a favourite).

On the day of the wedding the duty manager was brill, running around sorting the last minute details (trying to find my vanishing shoes!!), the day went perfect.

If your looking for a castle wedding this is the place to have it, and if your looking for a quite weekend in luxury you should seriously consider the castle.

• Stayed January 2006
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ireland
Reviewed 26 January 2006

We stayed in this hotel as we are thinking of getting married in Scotland. We had only seen photos on the net and as we have learnt to our cost these are not always a real reflection of the environs of out of city hotels. This hotel was beyond our expectations and better than we had imagined. Unlike one of the previous reviewers we thought it was very accessible and quite near Edinburgh but retained an isolated feel. We stayed in the lodge and it was lovely and literally a stones throw from the castle itself. The service is top notch and the library bar remained nicely quiet foe those cigar and single malt moments! My fiancee availed of the spa facilities and informs me they where of a good quality. Also with it being winter we expected the castle to be even a bit drafty-not a bit of it- it was very cosy. Highly recommended.

5 Thank TheThreeJays
Reviewed 12 January 2006

We went to Dalhousie castle for Hogmanay Celebrations. The food was wonderful and the restaurant staff were the most polite people you could meet. As we paid £1400 for 3 nights stay I don't think we ever could have got value for money so it wasn't much of a surprise that it didn't live up to our expectations. If you can, book a castle themed room as people were raving about them. we stayed in the lodge which is a short walk over a narrow bridge and although it says there is a steam room and Jacuzzi they mean a bath big enough for two. The spa is only small and the staff were a bit rude Unfortunately, as the taxi's were all charging double fare we never got to see Edinburgh, only the airport.. my advise is go out of season and drive if you can.

• Stayed December 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Warragul, Australia
Reviewed 18 December 2005

We had a great time here. The staff are very accommodating and we were given a "private tour" of the real dungeon and told some of the history which added to the whole experience. We had dinner in the dungeon which was alot of fun. The orangery doesn't sort of "fit" with the castle period but we had a nice breakfast, even if it was a bit noisy. We would stay here again, and would recommened it to anyone who wants something a bit different. Just a pity its so far away from the city of Edinburgh, which we didn't realise.

• Stayed November 2005
2 Thank LeilaJake
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonnyrigg
Melville Castle
Prestonfield
#4 of 148 in Edinburgh
Broughton & Calton
Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace

Been to Dalhousie Castle? Share your experiences!