1,798 results
All reviews dungeon restaurant library bar spa facilities four poster afternoon tea falconry experience no lift themed rooms pre dinner drinks dining experience night porter wedding breakfast wedding party hydro pool special occasion whole experience birds of prey
Reviewed 7 November 2018 via mobile

My husband I spent our wedding anniversary at Dalhousie and had a marvelous time. The castle is beautiful and every person we talked to was so kind and helpful...our room was upgraded at check in which rarely happens. We had an amazing dinner in the dungeon, and a full hot breakfast delivered to our room when we wanted to sleep in a little longer. My husband and I booked spa appointments at the last minute and got 10:00 and 11:15 appointments. Then while we were at dinner someone from reception came to our table to inform us that they were able to get us appointments at the same time, which was fabulous. Room service was fast and friendly (thanks Sean!) and Scott in the bar was so helpful and pleasant to chat with. The ladies in the spa did a great job as well. I wish I could personally thank everyone again for making our evening so special.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2018

Stayed in the Castle ten years before when no children and returned with two kids. Room was adequate but at the top of the castle...plenty of steps and time to work off the breakfast which was great. Castle is in great location and Spa is nice to relax after end of busy day sight seeing. Birds of prey experience was fab and the boys faces both lit up when the Owl and Harris Hawk flew to them.Plenty to do in Edinburgh ...Dynamic Earth, Arthurs Seat, Camera Obscura all worth a visit.Staff really friendly and helpful.Overall a great break during half term.

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 1 November 2018

So we were here for a wedding. Stayed the night and it was a wonderful stay. Without going into the specifics of the wedding, we had full use of the room and main areas in the castle, and the wedding was spread across to main room for the party and for the dinner. Breakfast was served in the orangery which, as you look at the castle face on is to the left of the building but what you end up doing id walking the through the basement and dungeon area to get to it. It’s a brilliant little walk and there is armour and other historical artefacts on show as you walk through. The breaks is ordered from menu and it overlooks the grounds as you eat. A great view. Outside there are falconry options and opportunities to handle owls, hawks and falcons as well as archery options too. Walking around the castle is a delight…even in the blustery conditions.
The room itself we stayed in was a large room with very comfortable poster bed….we were on the 3rd floor so got a good view of the grounds from the window. The bathroom was a fair size , a decent shower and toiletries on offer. NOW…there was a fire always at 2am and it was activated in error but I should point out….the alarm isn’t above the door or anything its actually plugged into the plug socket where the deskside table lamp is. This was confusing when you are asleep and wake up disorientated as to what is going on and why is the plug socket making noises. However it was a false alarm and we were back asleep soon. The staff were kind enough to post a letter of apology under our door in the morning. The staff were very helpful through out time there, I think we overwhelmed them a bit for breakfast there was like 20 of us ordering all at once but they managed to get all but one of our orders spot on (the one that wasn’t was the guy that walked in last and ordered late but the staff, upon realising were very courteous in rectifying the situation and helping us further) The stay overall was very comfortable and as above…the room itself was spacious and I was very happy with the room allocation. Staying at the castle was fantastic and I’d have liked to have stayed for another day and made more of being there. I’d definitely stay here again

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 October 2018

My wife and I, while on a recent tour of England, Scotland and Wales from The United States, had the pleasure of spending two nights at this 13th century historical jewel.

We were shown to a large, comfortable room with a king size bed and a smaller room with a single bed. We had a view of the grounds, which we walked, from one window and a view of one of the castle turrets from the window in the other side of the room. It was kind of neat to see the openings in the tower where crossbow men could fire their bolts or pour boiling oil down on the invaders.

We experienced a most unusual situation during our stay: we had no water right after we checked in. The staff at the hotel were magnificent. They supplied every guest with an unlimited supply of bottled water while they brought in an entire army of plumbers and engineers (everyone it seemed but The Grenadier Guards) to tackle the problem. Although this situation went on for a number of hours, it was ultimately fixed and we were able to enjoy the rest of our stay before moving on.

The food that we had at the castle was also very good.

Because of the thick castle walls, the Internet was only available in certain locations but that did not bother us. We enjoyed walking the grounds, sitting in the castle's cozy library lounge, making a short visit to the falconry on the grounds and spending time in our room when we weren't touring in the area.

If you like history, like I do, and don't mind climbing a few well carpeted steps - there are no elevators - staying at a hotel like this is a unique experience. The staff at this hotel is amazing, and the service they provide is second to none. Don't miss an opportunity to stay here. We highly recommend this fine hotel.

Room tip: Ask for a room on one of the upper floors.
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank ZeroTTZero
Reviewed 30 October 2018 via mobile

I booked a themed four poster room and was disappointed the bed had no canopy. The Receptionist kindly moved us to another room where the bed had a canopy and we had a private balcony. The castle and grounds are beautiful. Where better to dine than the dungeon. The spa treatments were great. Nothing was too much trouble for the friendly staff. Best cooked breakfast I’ve had in a hotel.

Date of stay: October 2018