“Great Castle Wedding venue & staff with star quality.”
Review of Dalhousie Castle

Dalhousie Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bonnyrigg
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great Castle Wedding venue & staff with star quality.”
Reviewed 7 January 2011

The first sight of the castle was good but its driveway is a poor advert. Badly potholed particularly after recent very cold weather. At least it is not very long. Take the last exit off the little roundabout for parking in front of the hotel. Its a nice level crunchy gravel area near the main entrance. There are extensive grounds and woods to be explored later & photographed including great exterior views of the castle. The main entrance is via a nice old large door with big old stone masonry walls leading into the reception area. Its all really cosy and full of quaint features including plenty of nooks & crannies, historic pictures, lovely antique furniture, numerous wooden, stone, & carpeted stairways, quirky passageways, heavy old doors, ornate ceilings, the family tree wall hanging, and impromptu guided tours to secret areas if you ask the staff nicely.
We had several themed rooms in the oldest part of the castle, all amazing with different styles. The De Ramseia room was the best. Large (reception, hall, bathroom, sitting room, bedroom), & more quirky features!
The wedding was superb and was run as smooth as silk. The piper was fantastic, so helpful, & many wise words, as was the registraar. The chapel room suited the ceremony perfectly. The piping in was excellent. After the ceremony the Library & its bar was a cosy complement to the Dalwolsey sitting room atmosphere. Service was always helpfully on hand to serve a wide variety of drinks at castle prices of course but what a setting.
The wedding "break fast" was held in the Dungeon restaurant and again the piper & staff played their parts perfectly. The Menu 2 starter was heavenly, but I have to admit the mains were somewhat ordinary, particularly for £43pp, but nevertheless, this special event was very special indeed. Slightly on the negative side, nothing against the assistant staff serving but these days it seems every business wants to penny pick by using cheaper labour from who knows where whether they are conversant in the native tongue or not. Ce la vie!
Breakfast at the castle however restored our faith in quality cuisine. The porridge was one of the best ever sampled, and the full scottish was delectable particularly the black pudding.
All in all a wonderful unforgettable wedding experience.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
blackwood
Reviewed 11 December 2010

Fantastic castle for that special romantic getaway. Took husband as suprise for his birthday. Really friendly place. Rooms are stunning. Got to see a Scottish wedding complete with bagpipes, really beatiful. Went into Bonyrigg to a pub called Laird and Dog, a fab country pub, food out of this world, best prawns in Tempura batter ever tasted!! Stayed for 4 nights. Resturant in castle very expensive for what you get. Ask for a whisky, biggest supply I've ever seen, hidden in a secret library . Fantastic place to take that special loved one ( oh and by that I don't mean family pet! LOL x)

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Yorkshire
Reviewed 23 October 2010

This stay was terrible - not in the main hotel but their 'annex' called the Lodge. This is a lovely hotel - I have stayed before but this time I was not given a room in the main hotel but was pushed off into the Annex (Lodge). It is 100 yrds away down a dank, dark potholed track. It was so dark I walked into the diabled ramp rail. The room was bad - extract fan busted. Curtains hanging off the rail, wall paper hanging off wall. Lumpy and very musty smelling bed. Worn and basic shower. There are good lounge and few other facilaties if you did, perhaps, talke over the full building as a group. But as a sole traveller it is a muddy walk in the dark and rain back up to the hotel to use the Spa, library or resteraunt. The room is worn and did not feel clean. There is no Wi Fi in the Annex so I did not email work either.

Just to make matters worse - some outward bound type of training was on and they blocked the road with vehicles. After I asked, in the rain, for them to move they did - but immediately blocked the track again so that I could not drive back down to my room and had to leave immediately after breakfast - not being able to use the Spa or my room after 8am!

My advice - stay in the hotel. It is lovely. But NEVER agree to a room in the Lodge.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Gunnerside
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 27 September 2010

If you are looking for a castle experience, this is ideal. If you are looking for a modern hotel with all the amenities, this is not the place for you. It is a bit expensive, but for us Canadians, was worth it just to say we stayed in a castle. The rooms was really something, unlike any hotel room I have ever stayed in. The castle is several stories high, and has no elevators. Upon check in we were greated with a porter who carried out bags up the 3 flights of stairs to our room, which was much appreciated. The grounds of the castle are very nice, there is even a falconry area where you can see owls. The Orangery restaurant was not great and abit expensive, but nothing really to complain about. The library area is a very nice place for a pre or post dinner drink with a varried drink menue.

Unfortauntely our room did have one negative aspect, the heat continually turned on and off throughout the night and was quite loud when on, thus making sleeping tough.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2010

We took my parents for their 45th wedding anniversary. We were down looking around Dalhousie Castle last year and The Orangery looked really nice, as did the menu so we thought we were in for a treat.

Where should I start?

My soup spoon had a narrowed and very sharp lip, and it actually cut the side of my mouth as I ate my soup! My partners starter had a sauce which had been sitting out and formed a lovely thick skin. My dad chose the same starter as my partner but his potatoes were cold and he had hardly any sauce at all, his bread was also stale. When our main courses came, my potatoes were not cooked and like the starters, my mum's sauce had a skin on it.

The menu choice was poor overall.

The waitress was terribly unprofessional and untrained. Our wine cooler came with water in it, but no cloth or towel to dry the bottle and she dribbled water on the table as she poured it. My dad was still eating his main course when she came up to ask if she could bring up the desserts. The cutlery was not replaced after we'd eaten our starters and we had to wait while she got cutlery before we could start our main courses. When the waiter brought more drinks, I asked if he had a cloth or a napkin we could dry the bottle with and he said they were running low and that the delivery hadn't arrived.....I had to ask him to take one from another table where no-one was sitting, there were plenty as it was very quiet so I'm still not sure why it would have been a problem.

Honestly, it was terrible, I could write more!

I complained to the duty manager and she took our complaint very seriously and was v ery nice. We were told we would not be charged for our meal. She was not going to charge us for our drinks either, but we wanted to pay for those. She took my parents contact details to write to them and invite them to come back so the hotel can make up for the bad meal they had. However, we will not be going with them if my mum dedides to take them up on their offer.

We were really looking foward to a nice meal in a lovely setting and we did no get it, it was such a disappointment and I really felt as if we had let down my parents as it was our idea to take them there. With hindsight, we should have gone to the Dungeon but the Orangery setting looked so nice, and having seen the menu before, we thought it would be ideal. We were considering this as a possible wedding venu, but it's been crossed off our list for sure!

• Stayed September 2010
4 Thank 30somethingreviewer
Bad Windsheim, Germany
Reviewed 21 September 2010

We stayed in this hotel for three nights on our last part of a Scotland roundtrip.

Very good is the connection to Edinburgh city, just takes 15 minutes I think by car. On your way there is also a park and ride which you could use to continue your journey by bus.

The hotel is easy to find, signs mark the way. Be careful though on the long driveway. It is full of holes and needs some work. Parking is provided in front of the hotel but is always busy. Especially when there is a wedding. There is also some space in the direction of the spa facilities. Some people a some people also on the helicopter landing field near to the entrance.

Entering the horel, the reception is straight on on the lower floor. To the right you will get to the wedding chapel which really looks great. The stairs will lead you to the rooms. There is no elevator.

For restaurants they have two. The Orangery and the dungeon restaurant. Food in the orangery is good but costs at least 20 pounds a person excluding drinks. However they have strange views of what a Gnocci is...
The dungeon restaurant is 47 pounds per person excluding drinks for a 5-course menu. We did not try that though. In the Orangery also the breakfast is served.

Breakfast was good, they had much choices for regular and cooked breakfast. Sometimes during breakfast and dinner in the Orangery the waiters really needed some time to wait the tables.

Rooms are big, at least the theme room we had was big. We unfortunately had the India theme room. I mean it was all ok but visiting Scotland as a tourist, we had preferred a more Scottish theme. The room has a TV.
Bathroom was good, nearly nothing to complain about. Just that when taking a shower you set the room under water and the temperature was too hot for me. It could not be regulated properly.

All other amenities the hotel provided we did not use as on all nights we arrived late.

I can recommend this hotel however as the castle is very big, it looses its charm somehow.

1 Thank ruandrettert
Reading
Reviewed 20 September 2010

We stayed two nights in this hotel for a wedding and did not think it was worth the high room rates. Our room was very small (although very good size bed). Room was dark and very hot. Food excellent in the orangery and staff very helpful. The spa is included in the price and was small but lovely. There was lots of group bookings in the Spa so you need to book ahead. We were at a wedding so up late dancing but ifyou wanted to come here for a quiet weekend when a wedding was on you would be disturbed and hotel is quite small. If rooms were cheaper it would be great but at £200 a night you would expect more.

1 Thank insearchofaholiday
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonnyrigg
Melville Castle
Prestonfield
#4 of 148 in Edinburgh
Broughton & Calton
Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace

Been to Dalhousie Castle? Share your experiences!