“Excellent Italian”

Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Bonnyrigg
Price range: US$14 - US$56
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A family run Italian restaurant that works hard to give the locals the very best in Italian cuisine. With a proven record of quality, we show off many of our accolades as soon as you walk through the front door. It doesn't end there. With great food comes world class customer service.. Sceptical? Come try us out for yourself!
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Our food today was fantastic! Very authentic, fresh Italian food. The staff were very helpful and friendly. I would recommend the pasta. Well done!

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Not the first time I've been here but thought I'd leave a review. As per previous visits I was not let down but the staff the atmosphere and of course the food. I had the prawn Marie rose starter with the fillet steak with wine and mushroom sauce followed by the chocolate fudge cake and ice cream. All were served with a smile and were great tasting. The steak was cooked to perfection. As we were there with another couple we were talking as well as eating but at no time were we rushed or made to feel like we had to hurry to leave the table and it was busy. Would definitely recommend going here - I like to decribe it as a slice of Edinburgh in Midlothian as the service and whole dining experience is great.
Well definitely be returning.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

A busy Italian close to The Retreat Castle, reservations not always requires, service excellent the Seafood Risotto was superb.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We previously ate here shortly after it opened and although not exceptional the meal was acceptable, surroundings were a little noisy but as I remember we had a nice evening and staff were polite.
On our recent visit the food was without doubt one of the worst meals any of us had eaten anywhere.My pasta dish appeared to be bought in , similar to the packs available in the supermarket ,very inexpensively, two others had pizza Calzone which was really awful and almost inedible. We also did not enjoy the overfamiliar banter of the waiter.
We will not be back.

13  Thank wylliecat
gigisbonnyrigg, Manager at Gigi's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Hello.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our restaurant.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your experience with us! In all honesty, I'm surprised at your complaints!
Mentioning that your 'pasta dish appeared to be bought in, similar to the packs available in the supermarket' puzzles me. Do supermarkets sell the same fresh, high quality products, cooked by qualified chefs, that we sell to our customers? Or are you unable to tell the difference?

As for our Calzone. Probably one of our best sellers. You mention that the ones that were dished for you were 'awful and inedible'? How were they inedible? Too large? Too Small? Overcooked? Undercooked? I ask as I genuinely want to know your opinion.

Our waiters try to be as helpful and friendly as possible, probably the remaining few of whom take time to acknowledge and engage a customer whether it be in a little silly banter or general conversation rather than throwing a plate in front of you and disappearing.

'Without doubt the worst meal you have had anywhere'? This makes me question this reviews authenticity.
Neither the management or staff were aware of your displeasure. I'm sure that you've ready many times before, if there is something you don't like, please speak up, we can sort it out for you then and there, nothing is too much of a problem.

If you were so unhappy with the meal, I would have compensated you for it! The fact that you'd rather try and ruin a restaurants reputation on TripAdvisor rather than protect your own pocket is beyond me.

Feel free to contact me if you'd like to discuss things further.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Having never dined in Bonnyrigg before I was wondering what was there. Well now I know and I will certainly be returning to Gigi's. The food was superb and the atmosphere so relaxed and great attentive staff.