“Definitely Entertaining”

The Retreat Castle Rooms
Ranked #1 of 1 Bonnyrigg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Due to a last minute change of plans, I needed to find a room for 3 nights that was reasonably close to the airport for an early flight, and had wi-fi so that my husband could access the internet from his work computer.

Jude at the Retreat Castle Hotel got back to me within short time to offer me the accommodation that we needed.

When we checked into the hotel, she took us to the room that she had open for us, and had my husband immediately check the wi-fi. Although they had just installed a booster, there was no connectivity in the room, so Jude immediately put us into another room that had adequate wi-fi.
The place was booked with a wedding party, so we were lucky that there was another room available.

However, there was some sort of unusual odor in the room that affected my asthma. When we mentioned this at breakfast, Jude was more than happy to switch rooms, as the wedding party had left, and when we came back the next evening, we were shown to room 6 which was a huge room on the second floor which had a 4 poster bed. Our luggage had been moved for us.

Really, Jude and her husband went out of there way to assure our comfort, which we really did appreciate.

Breakfast is served downstairs in the conservatory. We were given several options from a menu to choose for breakfast. I highly recommend the porridge. I do believe that it was the tastiest that I have had while traveling through Scotland.

Even though our room was over the Pub, we were not disturbed by any noise. I will admit that our first room, room 2, was quite noisy due to the late night wedding celebration, but the website warns of that on the home page, and we knew that there would be a wedding, so I cannot fault the establishment for that.

Even though room 6 was large, it was cozy warm. The walls were decorated with some very entertaining pictures, and a variety of different shaped mirrors. It was definitely one of the most unique rooms that I have encountered. Amusing, to say the least.

The bathroom was large and came with a tub/shower combination. I did not like the bathroom in room 2 as the shower and sink share the same space and I am not used to getting my feet wet while brushing my teeth. Perhaps there is a trick to this that I am missing. But, room 6 came with a more user friendly bathroom in my mind.

Room 2's shower had some mildew in the grouting near the floor. Room 6's bathroom was brilliantly clean.

We were given two large bath towels, but only one hand towel, no washcloths.
Bath shampoo/body wash was supplied in the room.

There was a hospitality tray with tea and coffee and a package of cookies to enjoy.

The room was dark, even with all of the lights on. There is a large closet in the room, but no light inside. I was certain to pull all of my items out during daylight so that none would be missed in the dark of the morning as we had to depart early for my flight.

Parking is in a lot right in front of the hotel.
The doors are locked at night, and we were given a key to allow access should we come in late.

Peter was sure to call the room in the evening to ask if we would be coming down for dinner. A very nice gesture on his part to assure that we did not miss dinner if we were eating onsite.

I found Jude and Peter to be quite attentive and eager to make us comfortable.
The price was certainly reasonable for the accommodation that we ended up having.

Room Tip: Obviously, the rooms on the second floor are much larger than the ones on the first floor.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank geismom

Reviewed 6 November 2012

Deciding to return to Scotland for a "minor" anniversary, we picked the Retreat Castle Hotel based upon its websites content.

Being a big fan of four poster luxury and non-standard decor, with an individual styling, it was a one horse race for us.

So we booked for three nights.

The hospitality is excellent and we will definitely return for future breaks.

Don't be put off by the 8 mile distance from Edinburgh. There is a park and ride facility, or if youre "treating" yourself, you won't mind paying the parking charges in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Rooms to suit all budgets. The Turret room (6) has a spacious layout with en-suite bathroom.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Callum R
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Just what we wanted.... A nice quaint Castle Boutique Hotel for the start of a Scotland Heritage trip for our 8 year old Australian Grandson. Staff were very friendly, Breakfast Room Casual and nice food. Small Lounge/bar and comfortable surrounds. Room was great big enough with 2 4 poster double beds, the only thing missing so my Grandson said was the mesh curtain draping the bed.a great area 1/2 hour bus ride from Edinburgh, Bus stop right outside Hotel and grounds for Parking.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank hazel1954
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Welcoming,relaxing and a warm reception, this is an hotel with a bit of history "built in". My wife and I have stayed twice en route to Galashiels, and on our last stay we were pleasantly surprised when we were upgraded to a four poster bedroom.

Great meals and quaint and relaxing bar are just what you need after a long drive from Inverness.

Looking forward to our next stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hazel s
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Really great place to stay, service is excellent and staff are friendly. Food was good and prices were reasonable. This place is highly recommendable and looks breath taking. Enjoyed everything about it.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Liam1610
Reviewed 15 October 2012 via mobile

Having just had our third baby my husband booked this hotel as a special treat and a chance for us to spend some precious time together! What a fantastic time we had. The staff were amazing and so friendly, always had a smile on! Our room was magical and had such a lovely feel to it. We also had our dinner there and the food was delicious, we were recommended to try the specials as the new chef was trying some different dishes (so glad we did). Overall we had a great time and will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Steff7
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I have stayed at many hotels across the world, having done aid convoys for the last 20 years, staying in everything from 5 star to a tent in the desert with a police escort because staying in bandit country.
This is without doubt one of the smallest hotels but the reception could not have been better, it is something different and must be tried by you all out there if staying in Scotland

Room Tip: Only 8 rooms all ground floor and at the side and rear of the hotel do you want a normal bed or four...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank William N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonnyrigg
Dalhousie Castle
#4 of 151 in Edinburgh
The Sun Inn
The Sun Inn
#2 of 5 in Dalkeith

Been to The Retreat Castle Rooms? Share your experiences!