“Magical”

The Retreat Castle Rooms
Ranked #1 of 1 Bonnyrigg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Having worked in the service industry for the past seven years, I find it easy to get jaded and pick holes when I visit a hotel. Well, this place is a true labour of love, and I can't compliment it highly enough.

Jude (the owner) is charming, and really takes pride in making every effort to please her guests. We spoke on the phone the day of our visit, and as they no longer have a bar/restaurant, she recommended a local restaurant to us (Gigis), and offered to book us in. This is the kind of meticulous service you'd expect from a top-end hotel, not a reasonably-priced guest house. The meal was delicious and provided a lovely start to our break.

From the moment we arrived at the Retreat, we felt at ease and looked after. Jude offered to carry our bags, and made us feel at home, filling us in on the activities nearby. Even before I mentioned that we had come away to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday, we were whisked upstairs to a Four Poster Bedded Room as an upgrade. Nothing seemed too much trouble, and when you don't get much quality time together, things like that mean a lot.

The house is gorgeous, built in the 17th century and still retaining a distinctly gothic, magical charm. Located only a minute or two from the bus stop, it makes for an easy, cost-effective commute to Edinburgh City Centre and the Zoo, costing only £1.40 each way. The bedroom itself (Room 7) was luxurious and dramatic, with the main feature its four poster bed. Very comfortable nights' sleep. Our bathroom was huge with great toiletries and snug, soft bath towels.

When we stumbled sleepily down the majestic staircase in the morning, our breakfast table was lovingly adorned with streamers and a solitary white balloon, etched with a hand-written "Happy Birthday". An incredibly thoughtful thing to do, so simple, but it meant so much.

We have fond memories of the Retreat Castle, and I'd like to thank Jude and her family for a fantastic night's stay, and the extra brownie points at home! I hope to be back some day, but if you're planning a trip to Edinburgh, look no further.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 March 2013

I stayed here for a couple of nights this week during a business trip and I have to say I wasn’t disappointed! If going back in time is your thing, cleanliness and first class service is at the top of your list, then look no further!

My room (2) was spacious, exceptionally clean, well equipped with TV and the usual coffee, tea etc. . The on suite bathroom was equipped with a super power shower and was spotlessly clean and beautifully tiled. The bed was probably the comfiest bed I have ever slept on with fresh crisp and clean linen. An excellent Wi-Fi connection in the room was a real bonus.

A very warm welcome on arrival and I was made to feel extremely comfortable throughout my stay, nothing was too much trouble and help and advice was always on hand.

There is no longer a bar or restaurant on site which I was advised about before booking but there are plenty of places to eat and drink locally. There was plenty of choice on the breakfast menu and I can confirm that the end product was incredibly tasty and very well presented.
If I am ever working in that area again and needed a great place to stay, I would look no further than this place! A great find.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 January 2013

We spent one night at the Retreat and thoroughly enjoyed it. Jude was lovely when I made the booking and her welcome and hospitality when we arrived was second to none. The hotel has recently changed to guest house status so was just run by Jude and her husband. We were thrilled with the welcome we received and the service and hospitality impeccable. The room was lovely and very comfortable with everything we could need. The Retreat itself if a amazing building and wouldn't hesitate to go back and spend a bit more time there.

The breakfast was gorgeous (full Scottish) and value for money was excellent.

We would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2013

well what can i say about this hotel,it was fantastic the staff were so friendly and nothing was a problem.The bar staff are so friendly (Trevor,Sophie and another lad which i cant remember name,sorry)the hotel was lovely and clean and the food was great ,drinks and food great value for money.Lots of locals use this hotel for food which is a good sign.Bus stops right outside hotel which was great for new year,the hotel bar did shut at 10.30 on new years eve but we went to another pub quite local called The laird and dog and had a fabulous night,again bus door to door,taxis were reliable and reasonable to.Thank you to Jude and her team and would go back any day.

Room Tip: we had the big four poster room which i think is room 6.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank lesleymorgan70
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Due to a last minute change of plans, I needed to find a room for 3 nights that was reasonably close to the airport for an early flight, and had wi-fi so that my husband could access the internet from his work computer.

Jude at the Retreat Castle Hotel got back to me within short time to offer me the accommodation that we needed.

When we checked into the hotel, she took us to the room that she had open for us, and had my husband immediately check the wi-fi. Although they had just installed a booster, there was no connectivity in the room, so Jude immediately put us into another room that had adequate wi-fi.
The place was booked with a wedding party, so we were lucky that there was another room available.

However, there was some sort of unusual odor in the room that affected my asthma. When we mentioned this at breakfast, Jude was more than happy to switch rooms, as the wedding party had left, and when we came back the next evening, we were shown to room 6 which was a huge room on the second floor which had a 4 poster bed. Our luggage had been moved for us.

Really, Jude and her husband went out of there way to assure our comfort, which we really did appreciate.

Breakfast is served downstairs in the conservatory. We were given several options from a menu to choose for breakfast. I highly recommend the porridge. I do believe that it was the tastiest that I have had while traveling through Scotland.

Even though our room was over the Pub, we were not disturbed by any noise. I will admit that our first room, room 2, was quite noisy due to the late night wedding celebration, but the website warns of that on the home page, and we knew that there would be a wedding, so I cannot fault the establishment for that.

Even though room 6 was large, it was cozy warm. The walls were decorated with some very entertaining pictures, and a variety of different shaped mirrors. It was definitely one of the most unique rooms that I have encountered. Amusing, to say the least.

The bathroom was large and came with a tub/shower combination. I did not like the bathroom in room 2 as the shower and sink share the same space and I am not used to getting my feet wet while brushing my teeth. Perhaps there is a trick to this that I am missing. But, room 6 came with a more user friendly bathroom in my mind.

Room 2's shower had some mildew in the grouting near the floor. Room 6's bathroom was brilliantly clean.

We were given two large bath towels, but only one hand towel, no washcloths.
Bath shampoo/body wash was supplied in the room.

There was a hospitality tray with tea and coffee and a package of cookies to enjoy.

The room was dark, even with all of the lights on. There is a large closet in the room, but no light inside. I was certain to pull all of my items out during daylight so that none would be missed in the dark of the morning as we had to depart early for my flight.

Parking is in a lot right in front of the hotel.
The doors are locked at night, and we were given a key to allow access should we come in late.

Peter was sure to call the room in the evening to ask if we would be coming down for dinner. A very nice gesture on his part to assure that we did not miss dinner if we were eating onsite.

I found Jude and Peter to be quite attentive and eager to make us comfortable.
The price was certainly reasonable for the accommodation that we ended up having.

Room Tip: Obviously, the rooms on the second floor are much larger than the ones on the first floor.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank geismom
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Deciding to return to Scotland for a "minor" anniversary, we picked the Retreat Castle Hotel based upon its websites content.

Being a big fan of four poster luxury and non-standard decor, with an individual styling, it was a one horse race for us.

So we booked for three nights.

The hospitality is excellent and we will definitely return for future breaks.

Don't be put off by the 8 mile distance from Edinburgh. There is a park and ride facility, or if youre "treating" yourself, you won't mind paying the parking charges in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Rooms to suit all budgets. The Turret room (6) has a spacious layout with en-suite bathroom.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Callum R
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Just what we wanted.... A nice quaint Castle Boutique Hotel for the start of a Scotland Heritage trip for our 8 year old Australian Grandson. Staff were very friendly, Breakfast Room Casual and nice food. Small Lounge/bar and comfortable surrounds. Room was great big enough with 2 4 poster double beds, the only thing missing so my Grandson said was the mesh curtain draping the bed.a great area 1/2 hour bus ride from Edinburgh, Bus stop right outside Hotel and grounds for Parking.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank hazel1954
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonnyrigg
Dalhousie Castle
Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Musselburgh) Hotel
Carberry Tower Mansion House and Estate
Premier Inn Edinburgh A7 (Dalkeith) Hotel
Best Western Edinburgh South Braid Hills Hotel

Been to The Retreat Castle Rooms? Share your experiences!