“Lovely luncheon after a tour of the Furnace Farm and a visit to the Welsh Food Centre”

Bodnant Welsh Food Hayloft Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 7 Restaurants in Tal-y-Cafn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Set in the quiet estate surroundings with mountain views, our relaxed Hayloft Restaurant combines the very best of our estate grown foods and local produce to bring you a 'taste of Wales' right from our very own doorstep. The restaurant itself is a beautifully converted hay barn, with a rustic yet modern appeal and a menu designed to showcase the fantastic Welsh larder available. During seasons we have some rare and exciting meats on the menu that have been sourced from local farms, these dishes are lovingly designed to showcase the amazing local produce available. At Bodnant we pride ourself on the freshness and quality of our seasonal Menu. The bread is freshly baked in the Bodnant bakery, the fish and shellfish is locally sourced with passion wherever possible and prepared by our fantastic Chef, the meat on offer is from our butchery and our ice creams and cheeses for our puddings and cheese board are produced in our dairy. If you have any question about any of the food or farms that we have used the team would be happy to talk to you about our high quality produce we have on the menu for you.
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I'm stunned, first of all, that I can't find reviews of these altogether fabulous places. We had a wonderful tour of the Furnace Farm, learning about bees, wine, cheese, produce, meat and the cooking school. We followed up with shopping at the Welsh Food Centre and having lunch at the Hayloft Restaurant. Because we were in a group, we had a set menu of traditional "American" dishes served family style. The food was plentiful, fresh and delicious. There are also accommodations on site, convenient especially for those who take advantage of the cooking school. My only regret is that we didn't have more time there.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Went on both Friday 13th June and Saturday 14th June and received excellent service, excellent food at a great location.

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Nice location, good service, good food!! The steaks are cooked to perfection!!!!! Very formal atmosphere (be sure to dress to impress) !

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I recently celebrated his 47th birthday at Hayloft Restaurant in a lovely side room for 35 guests. The menu was selected before hand and the price for 3 courses plus coffee was excellent value at £23 per person. The chef and staff pulled out all the stops for this one because unbeknown to my guests, I had misunderstood the restaurant manageress and sent out a selector menu prior to the event to my guests asking them to choose 3 courses from 10 starters, 15 mains and 10 deserts, instead of me narrowing the menu choices down to 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 deserts and sending that selection out! oh boy! Enough to send any establishment into melt down but they smiled politely and said all will be well on the night and after tweeking a few things they put out an array of courses that were for most of my guests, considered excellent. Extra people turned up on the night and spaces where made for them and last minute food arranged without a bat of an eyelid. I have to say the staff headed by the head waiter were very attentive. "Keep those glasses topped up", I told them and thats what they did all night with at least 3 waiters in attendance at all time. If anyone could manage a little more after their 3 courses, when individual cheese boards arrived for guests, they were so generous, we were able to put them in the middle of the table and share. What can I say, between us we pulled off an excellent evening, great food, stress free, loads of smiles and good will all round. I would definately recommend this friendly, flexible and accommodating restaurant for any occasion. This was our 8th visit to Hayloft and I have only ever had great food, service and gorgeous wines. See you all again soon. Lucyx

1  Thank LuckyConwy
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Oh dear! This place could be so good...but it just isn't up to it. We have given it several goes and we want the Bodnant Food Centre to succeed but the service, the food quality and the attention to detail let it down....badly.
The restaurant is such a pleasant room with good tables etc. There's a small lounge at the bar which is comfortable. And the food and wine list are both vey good value for money.
But much of the food lacks taste. A three bean hotpot had zero flavour; I could have made a much tastier one myself. And the side salad was limp and very uninteresting. I asked for some olive oil or French dressing to put on it; 10 mins later some "out of a jar" mayonnaise was all they could muster!

We asked 3 times for some tap water. It arrived halfway through the meal. And waiters didn't know what ice creams were available ("I'll find out"!).
Come on...get the waiting staff trained; improve the cooking; get some taste in the dishes. Maybe put prices up a little....but lets have some quality to go with the setting!

5  Thank Wales25