“No ambiance, poor service and very very cold ..”

Grill Room Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 13 Restaurants in Deganwy
Cuisines: Grill, Welsh
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Set on the banks of the Conwy Estuary, overlooking the historic medievil town of Conwy with a backdrop of coastal mountains, the Grill Room offers a fantastic dining experience. The Quay Hotel and Spa provides a contemporary yet stylish setting, discreet but attentive service and, of course, excellent food. The Grill Room is simply decorated with vistas across the water setting the scene, keeping to a subtle but plush palate, complete with comfortable seating and immaculate place settings. The mouth watering menu includes a large range of local, seasonal Welsh produce and cleverly created dishes, using fine ingredients and beautiful presentation. A choice of A La Carte or Table d’Hote is available.
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Went to the Restaurant for Sunday lunch to celebrate a birthday , it didnt really get off to a good start when we were informed they were out of Bacardi ..a hotel of this size out of Bacardi?? ....We noticed while we were being served and throughout the whole afternoon staff were constantly having conversations whith eachother on matters that should not have been discussed in full hearing of paying customers,there seemed to be no one actualy in charge or with any authority around.

Drinks order changed we sat down by the windows to get a look at the view only to have to move in minutes as the air conditioning was leaking all over us !

We made our way through to the restaurant (very Premier Inn /Travel lodge type room) where we were seated by a very surly waiter ,(they really need to go to charm school) Our order was taken ,which included a not very good choice for vegetarians moreso if you have a nut allergy ,the rest of our order consisted of the beef which came with a stone cold yorkshire puding and meat that was ordered well done came medium ,the lamb was very nice as was the chicken .The table next to us sent their meal back and asked for discount on their bill as a jesture of good will ...not a chance.... they were told as no one else had complained the best they could offer was free tea or coffee.We had one of each of the deserts on offer and these were very nice .

We found the young(students )waiters to be very nervous when serving ..which didnt install confidence and once again there was a lot of unprofesional chatting going on around the open kitchen and a lack of customer contact on their part in fact we felt as if we were putting them out by being there ...

We would have liked to be offered water or to have a jug already on the table .As with the rest of the hotel the restaurant was very cold and the lady on another table had to move because of this as we ourselves did ,it wasnt a welcoming envirioment at all .

We asked for our bill to be bought through to the bar where we went to have coffee to warm us up during which time two men came through to the bar with two trolleys full of used breakfast trays and proceeded to empty them onto the bar in front of us,when I go out for a meal I dont expect to see remnants of peoples breakfasts in front of me!

We had cause to visit the loos while dining only to find a queue as one of them was out of order surely a hotel of this "calibre" could have got this sorted out sooner.

As I said previously we asked for our bill to be bought through to us ,this never happened and we found no one in the restaurant to ask so had to ask the girl behind the bar ,when we needed to hand the money over once again there was`nt anyone around and I had to find a waiter who I had to interupt as he was working out his rota!

It wasnt a bad meal but the ambiance service and tempreture of the place leaves a lot to desire needless to say we wont be going back .

2  Thank Torii

Reviewed 28 July 2010

July 2010

We have just returned from our second visit to the Quay.
I can only say that it was a pleasure from beggining to end.The staff were welcoming and polite at reception.We were fortunate to have a suite overlooking the Conway estuary .It was magical in the evening when the sun went down you could have been anywhere in the world it was wonderful.The suite had everything you could have wanted and was spotlessly clean.
The resturant was quite busy. The food was excellent and very well presented. The waiters were very attentive which was an improvement to our first visit.
We will be returning to the Quay in the future .We do recommend if you have a special occasion coming up treat yourself and experience a truly wonderful time.

Reviewed 16 June 2010

Firstly, they hadn't told us that the restaurant was also, temporarily, the bar and so we arrived for our wedding anniversary looking forward to a special occasion. We were seated in the restaurant but which turned out to be a rowdy bar. The service was horrendous. Twenty minutes for a menu. More for our orders to be taken. Wine waiter never appeared yet. I can honestly say this was the worst food experience we've in many a year. When brought to management's attention, they could only say that the refurbishments meant that things were outside their control. Don't they control these things? They still took our money. Don't go!

Reviewed 1 June 2010

We booked the trip as part of my birthday weekend and at £220 for two people for one night we were expecting great things. First impressions were not good as the hotel is effectively in the middle of a newly built housing development. Admittedly the view over the estuary was lovely - but that didn't make up for the hotels other failings. Only the rooms at the front of the hotel look over the bay – the rest over a courtyard or over the housing development/marina at the back. The courtyard has a Japanese style garden with a “water feature” which was ruined somewhat by the algae sitting in the water.

As part of our package we had a three-course meal included. We'd been booked a dinner slot at 7pm and came down to dinner at about 5 past. We waited a while before we were seated as there was no-one in the restaurant when we arrived. Our starters were OK - but nothing special considering the price. My main course was seabream with scallops and artichoke. I had 3 very small pieces of artichoke, which were totally overcooked and only tasted of the lemon juice they’d been soaked in. My small piece of sea bream and 2 scallops were also overcooked and the whole thing totally overpowered by the pesto sauce. There were no vegetables included with my meal and no potatoes with my husbands; these cost extra. My husband had the belly pork, which while it tasted nice it had no crackling; surely the whole point of belly pork is the crackling?

The desert was late (which they did apologise for and delivered some free sorbet) and the rice pudding was curdled, the milk was off and smelt and tasted disgusting. How it left the kitchen like that i'll never know as you could smell that it was off. The restaurant manager took the desert off the bill, but as the meal was included this made no difference. They did then take off my husband’s side dish, but we asked them to reduce the price of the wine and they refused, offering us coffee instead. We didn’t want coffee. They did call up to our room later in the evening to ask again if we wanted coffee, but this only succeeded in waking us up! I can't believe that for delivering a desert that is inedible and could have potentially caused us to be ill the only compensation we received was to take a portion of chips off the bill. I also find it hard to belive that the restuarant manager couldn't reduce the price of the wine. Especially considering the price of the wine was £20 a bottle when I can buy it for £7 on-line.

Breakfast the next morning was also disappointing I had to ask three times for some milk with my tea. The bacon and sausages had no flavour and the poached eggs were horrid. When you cut into the poached eggs they oozed water rather than yolk - not quite sure how this was acheived but it wasn't pleasant. We would have complained, but we’d come to celebrate my birthday and didn’t want to ruin the weekend.

1  Thank SoozieSue
Reviewed 3 May 2010

I have stayed at the Quay quite a few times, but found the food on this occasion to be unimpressing. Previously the bar had specials, whereas the restaurant had the a la carte,but now it is just one menu, with some rather odd accompaniments to some of the meals. The sea bream was a lovely meal, but more ths size of a starter, whereas the chicken "coq au vin" was a large meal with some weird tarragon pesto with it which was not on the menu, and left a funny taste in the mouth. The steak on my last night was served on a bread board (!), but was, at best, mediocre, with little taste and fatty. The waiter served the steak, but didn't ask whether I wanted anything else, and I then had to call im back twice, once for mustard and the second time for a steak knife as I just couldn't cut the steak! I felt as a woman eating alone that I was 2nd class compared to the couples who seemed to be getting lots of attention! Anything to do with tips?!!